cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus is Now Powered by Facebook

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
Logging on to Oculus.com now gives you this pop-up.

sjg9y7shz0dw.png
gknb0smwpwnr.png

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

50 REPLIES 50

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
So, I went ahead and logged in with Facebook and when I launched the Oculus App it started just like normal. Nothing seems any different. However, I did already have the accounts linked, so there's that. The only difference that I can see is that now in "Facebook Settings" it now has my Facebook name.

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Its okay, we were told, "Oculus is not a brand, Rift is a brand!"
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

kevinw729 said:

Its okay, we were told, "Oculus is not a brand, Rift is a brand!"

I'm fairly certain that Oculus has always been a brand, and Rift has always been a Product.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

So, I went ahead and logged in with Facebook and when I launched the Oculus App it started just like normal. Nothing seems any different. However, I did already have the accounts linked, so there's that. The only difference that I can see is that now in "Facebook Settings" it now has my Facebook name.

I'm hoping that we start to see some real benefits to all this soon. Quest 2 is officially out of pre-order status and live on the market tomorrow. I hope this means that Horizons is also available! 

That would be the reason we're all now seeing this new Facebook banner.

kobs57
Heroic Explorer
How about if you want to keep your Oculus library but opt for a compatible headset (like HP reverb 2) will they be able to use their tyrannical TOS on you anyways? I mean you have paid for your Apps you should be able to use them without having to comply to their TOS.... unless the apps were never yours to start with loll
VR dedicated computer...AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 
32 gigs of G.Skill Trident Z neo 2X16 Gb DDR4 3200Mhz
 MSI 1070-TI,  on a MSI B-570 Gaming plus motherboard,
EVGA super nova 1000 Watt PSU
Oculus is on a  CORSAIR Force MP600 Gen4 PCIe x4 NVMe M.2 SSD

Nunyabinez
Rising Star

kobs57 said:

How about if you want to keep your Oculus library but opt for a compatible headset (like HP reverb 2) will they be able to use their tyrannical TOS on you anyways? I mean you have paid for your Apps you should be able to use them without having to comply to their TOS.... unless the apps were never yours to start with loll

The bad news is that I'm almost certain that they will be disabling your account, not your headset. So even if you get a competitor's product and use Revive, you won't be able to use your purchased games after the deadline.

And you are right that you never actually own software, you license it and that license can be revoked.

kobs57
Heroic Explorer
Lol screwed to the end aren't we *shakes head* doesn't matter i'd rather buy all my titles again and never have to do anything with FB ever again
VR dedicated computer...AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 
32 gigs of G.Skill Trident Z neo 2X16 Gb DDR4 3200Mhz
 MSI 1070-TI,  on a MSI B-570 Gaming plus motherboard,
EVGA super nova 1000 Watt PSU
Oculus is on a  CORSAIR Force MP600 Gen4 PCIe x4 NVMe M.2 SSD

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

kobs57 said:

Lol screwed to the end aren't we *shakes head* doesn't matter i'd rather buy all my titles again and never have to do anything with FB ever again

Yeah, Oculus has never provided direct formal support of non-Oculus headsets. Using Revive is a work-around, and one that will likely face issues once the Facebook Account Linking is mandatory.

But hey, that's the great thing about the open consumer market, right? You can always choose another product. And Steam has been doing great. I've enjoyed getting my titles from SteamVR (e.g. Star Wars: Squadrons). I personally have no qualms owning multiple products from multiple organizations.

In the end, it's all about luxury and fun. None of these things are "essential" in any way. It's all purely entertainment.