New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Quest 2 User Reviews and Impressions

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 6,863 Valuable Player
edited October 13 in Oculus Quest 2 and Quest
Maybe nice to have a thread to collect Quest 2 user experiences? 

I'll be happy to start with one from Oculus SubReddit:

First thing I noticed was the black levels are no where near as good as the Quest 1. But oh damn, that display is sharp.

SDE is NOT gone, but it is massively reduced. I notice it mostly looking at UI and reading text.

Thank God setting 2 fits my IPD best because the loss of FOV in setting 3 is really bad.

I was gutted the elite strap has been delayed for me but I was pleasantly surprised by the built in one, it feels more comfortable to me than the Quest 1 strap so far, let's see how I feel after extended use though.

This might be a placebo, but is the tracking more responsive? Just feels like a sliver of delay has been shaved off.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/jae2n4/quest_2_first_impressions/

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 6,863 Valuable Player
    edited October 13
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• enigma01enigma01 Posts: 980
    3Jane
    I’m still waiting for mine to fully charge, but FOV in setting 3 is indeed pretty bad with my 70ipd when just looking around menus. 
  • JohnnyDioxinJohnnyDioxin Posts: 2,718 Valuable Player
    edited October 13
    I'm not overly happy with the Elite Strap. I actually found the soft standard strap more comfy. This may change - the headset will feel heavier after a while and be uncomfortable with the normal strap. The elite strap is uncomfortable straight away. I hope I can find a way to adjust it and make it more comfy.

Specifically, the cup at the back is just too hard - it may soften up, which would be a big plus, it may not. I thought it would be softer. It's worse than the Quest strap, which I actually find quite comfy as it is.

I'm not actually powering up the headset until this evening - it's charged now, but I'm late for my In Death session on Index, so it will have to wait ;)

edit: I forgot to mention - just trying holding it, the new Touch feels great - just like CV1 - fantastic!

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
    Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
    edited October 13
    Yeah okay, I couldn't resist having a go! Yes, it's awesome!

I do like the Touch, as mentioned. The graphics are great - the SDE is like a very fine version of what you see on the Index. No problem at all, really.

I swapped my prescription lenses (Gauss Tech/VR Lens Labs) directly from Quest 1 into Quest 2 - they fit okay, if just a little more loose, but it isn't an issue. The text etc is perfectly sharp and clear to me. My real IPD is 68mm though I usually prefer 70-71mm in VR, it's fine. We'll see if any headaches turn up after a while, but I'm optimistic. The FoV is fine on 68mm/setting 3 - don't know what those guys are on about on reddit. Nowhere near as bad as the Rift S was.

So far, so great! Except that elite strap - I'm going to take it off and put the standard one back on for now. The face foam is pretty crap, like previous Oculus headsets, guess I will sort that with the Gauss Tech ones.

First thing it does is update, of course, after showing the safety video and connecting to your wifi.

edit: Note that pairing with the Oculus app was weird. It took a while to find the headset, but is still actually telling me it can't find it. Whilst it was showing the headset not found screen, a message came up saying that the headset had been updated and I could continue - even though the other screen is telling me it can't find it!

Going back into the headset I was able to continue, and am now downloading a lot of games and apps. Even Home looks so much better in Quest 2 - I'm going to be keeping this, for sure.

edited October 13
    More impressions:

I’ve just received my quest 2, and switched it on for the first time. Previously owned a Quest 1 and have been super excited to try the Q2 out.

Anyway, I have some immediate thoughts to share, and most are not so positive to be honest, and I’m sat here wondering if it’s just me being picky, or if you agree with me, or may even have your own annoyances to add.

Note: I don’t intend on this being a super negative post by the way, I am the biggest VR cheerleader and have been chatting to my friends asking them to buy one. Oculus/Facebook in general have done amazing things for VR in my opinion, I think I just expected a little more! Anyway, here goes!

Positives:

• I like the introduction video & subsequent app pairing. The quest 1 was definitely missing something like this!

• Feels lighter, and for me, immediately more comfortable on the face than the Quest 1. It still hurts after a while with the standard strap though. This might be improved after receiving the pro strap.

• There is a slight, but not massive, improvement in screen clarity. I noticed this most when I tried Netflix and I could actually see a bit more detail on people’s faces, also when navigating the Quest menu.

• Packaging was quite minimal which I like. The Q1 box was super fancy, but the Q2 box looks like it uses recyclable material which makes me happy.

• Sound is more or less the same as Q1.

Negatives:

• Adjusting the lenses is cumbersome and almost impossible to do gracefully. The device needs to be on your face to understand how wide/close the lenses should be, and it’s really difficult to adjust this whilst it’s on your face. I really miss the slider!

• The field of vision feels significantly more limited than Quest 1. Let me explain... I actually notice the black edges on the side of the screen. I never noticed these in my Quest 1.

• When I first put the headset on and start adjustment, I notice a strange faded blue circle in the shape of the lens running round the circumference of my immediate vision when I adjust the strap to a comfortable torque. It only goes away when the headset is slightly lifted away from my face or I get lost in immersion. Then I notice it again.

• I have long long hair. My hair never used to get stuck in the standard strap on Quest 1 but something about the top strap teeth on Quest 2 captures every single bit of hair in its path, and it really hurts!

• There are lens rays from whites on the screen, and the blacks aren’t as deep as Quest 1. It feels like a strange sort of upgrade and a downgrade at the same time. Yes, the clarity is slightly improved but the colours just aren’t as good.

——

So, should you upgrade from the Quest 1 to the Quest 2, right now?

My answer: Not just yet...

If you are thinking about upgrading to the Q2 from the Q1, then my opinion is to wait for some Q2 specially built games to come out which make the most of the new processor and screen. Every time I put a Q1 on, it was complete immersion from the first few seconds, I forgot where I was. It doesn’t feel the same in the Q2.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/jadzzd/first_thoughts_on_quest_2_after_moving_from_quest/

1. The strap is worse than actual reviewers stated (and they all hate it) immediately had to go online and buy the elite strap. I honestly can't use it. Look into buying a replacement immediately.

2. Black levels are worse than quest. Not a massive deal personally but some might be annoyed. I didn't even notice after 5 mins

3. Yup, can really notice the Res boost. The screen door effect was always the worst thing about the Quest and it's so much better here. And frankly the best thing about it. This alone is worth the upgrade

4. It is lighter, not that I notice really (it's not a 40kg chain like in the gym FFS)

5. Bootup is much faster than Quest.

6. Seems a bit louder (not using headphones)

7. I personally prefer the original controllers although this is personal preference. These ones are smaller which isn't good for my Andre the Giant hands. Will get used to them in time.

8. The foam headrest (faceplate?) Seems softer and made from a much cheaper material, can see it wearing down much quicker than previous quest. It's left me with a bit of a rash. Will need a VR cover.

9. FOV seems worse. Will need to look further but it's not a major difference.

10. Battery compartment is an old fashioned clip to close rather than magnets in previous quest.

11. Charging cable is about 1m.

Set up is easy enough, never had the original quest only a rift s, and it seems heavy still, face padding is fine, controllers i prefer so far, hand tracking is amazing, and no cords is great.

But... the default strap is so odd, even when i have it super tight where i nearly have a migraine the front of the headset still has momentum in games. speakers seem worse than rift s. The two plastic tabs to pull is so strange, i like to have one hand on the headset while the other adjusts, but if it's loose and you use both hands to tighten it, it then drops a bit, and the top strap just takes pressure off your nose into the forehead.

The lenses are good, but blurry on edges, i am a glasses wearer, an both with glasses and without with prescription fittings there is a good amount of god rays. but you can easily get immersed and forget. colours are good.

rift s lens attachments don't work. At least the 3d printed glasses spacer so lenses literally can't touch lenses. Although my prescription lenses are fine. Surprised it doesn't come with a lns ring by default.

Overall i like it, got it on charge atm and just bought a tonne of quest games. i want to see how the headset fits small heads so my GF whos 5'2" is going to give it a go, the rift s ring didn't get small enough to fit her and kept sliding.

EDIT: i bought the elite strap with battery on amazon a few weeks ago, but it hasn't shipped yet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/jade3y/my_first_30_minute_thoughts_of_the_quest_2/

• richard.mellerrichard.meller Posts: 8
    Brain Burst
    Okay. It’s arrived and it is good. I wouldn’t say it is great so far but to be fair I haven’t really put it through it’s paces yet. 

The resolution is good and the screen door effect is barely noticeable. You really have to look for it to see it and clearly when you’re playing you don’t really look for it or notice it. 

Controllers seem pretty good and no issues with tracking at all. I’m sure there is a noticeable improvement there. 

My only gripes are firstly the ipd setting - I am between 2 and 3 and so just tried it with 2 to begin with, but it lacked clarity for me. Popped it on to 3 and it looked much better but man those black edges limiting the view are bad. 

Second gripe is that the lcd screen looks pretty washed out compared to the oled screen of the quest 1. I played Vader immortal which has lots of dark scenes so I might well not notice it so much in other games but the blacks were noticeably grey and the colours less vibrant. 

Overall a good headset. Hopefully the XR2 has lots to deliver in the future. If the quest 2 has the same post launch development that the original quest did this could be a really great headset. 
    edited October 13
    tbh I'd rather people here posted their impressions, rather than just copy/pasting from other sources by who knows who?

Yes, I see why some may complain about the FoV at IPD setting 3, it is in fact a bit tight, having now used a few apps, but it doesn't bother me much as it's pretty much what I expected.

In Death Unchained is good - takes some gtting used to the inaccuracies of aiming with the new Touch, especially after the preciseness of Index controllers.
    Tracking threw a couple of wobblers at me when aiming arrows, with Touch close to the headset.

Virtual Desktop wireless worked immediately with zero issues.

Edit - I'll see how Sidequest does later, to see how some SteamVR PC games look (such as No Man's Sky, Walking Dead titles, Subnautica etc) and test the flight simulators, Elite Dangerous and I've just installed Eve Valkyrie again as I'm not yet convinced I want to use Origin for Star Wars Squadrons. Oh - and Half-Life, QuakeQuest, Quake2Quest and Doom 3 B)

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,233 Volunteer Moderator
    tbh I'd rather people here posted their impressions, rather than just copy/pasting from other sources by who knows who?
    I agree, I value the impressions of people who I know here over those of random Redditors. Also, for the record, there are other much more positive reviews on Reddit than ones that have been cherry-picked here. Anyway, I'll assess it for myself when I get mine tomorrow, and I'll post up my first impressions.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,854 Volunteer Moderator
    Something that may help some, the lens spacers that come in the box, use them and adjust IPD without glasses and you may get a sweeter sweetspot...worth a try?
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

edited October 13
    Do post all the reviews you find, but remember to describe (provide a link to) the source if it's not your own review.

I don't see Reddit users different from users in here - Reddit users can be tracked, just like in here. I'm a Reddit user too ;)

Note that nothing in my posts was cherry-picked - those were simply the first impressions I found on Oculus and Quest SubReddits. I did not even read many of them before I had posted them in here - and most seem positive to me (with the usual problems of worse blacks when going from oled to lcd, but that's expected - and most haven't had time to test PCVR yet). Most say the SDE is gone or close. 

• LSmith6749LSmith6749 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Rookie here... will the games I have for my Oculus Quest play on the Quest 2?

• twisteklabstwisteklabs Posts: 482
    Trinity
    CPU: Intel i5-4690K
    Mobo: ASUS Z97-AR
    Ram: 8GB 1600MHz
    Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    edited October 13
    Btw, just scanned for new reviews/impressions - this has been posted and is very positive - probably the most positive review I've seen so far:

One word wow!

I wont bother writting a description but here have this:

• Screen quality is amazing.

• Display percievably (subjective) 2x better then RiftS display (the RiftS has a great display!)

• Battery life seems decent. After an hour at lunch it had used 30%.

• Comfort is greatly improved over quest1. I sent the Quest1 back because i couldnt manage more then 10 minutes it was that uncomfortable. So far I have only used the cloth strap and it is respectable. I will try the elite strap later. You wouldn't feel like taking the Quest2 on holiday would require you to take the elite strap.

• Sound quality is good now! Not best in class but greatly improved over both the RiftS and Quest1. I am surprised no one is talking about this?! At one point I thought I was snapped out of VR and thought I was wearing headphones when I heard my kitten meowing upstairs in distress. It was a presence moment where I was compltely unaware that I was listening to an audio device! Thanks to the speakers being built into the unit,

• Sound volume is really good now! Both on RiftS and Quest1 the sound volume are just pathetic.

• FOV seems decent. On par with RiftS. Probably better on Quest2, but it doesn't feel like a revolutionary jump.

• God rays are gone entirely unless direct black on white scenes. Much like the RiftS but there is a small improvement in Quest2.

• The "sweet spot" feels on par with RiftS. Maybe a bit better. Its hard to say because the display is just sooooooo much better. So even if the sweet spot is smaller, the sheer quality of anything outside that lets you ignore that somewhat!

• Responsiveness is revolutionary. No system lag. No UI lag. App launch is super fast. No frame stutter. No lag. Nothing. The new hardware is next level!

• Watching trailers in bigscreen was eye opening. IF anything the bitrate of the trailers now cant keep up with the sheer quality of the display. You notice the encoding more then you notice any screen artifacts.

• The display density is most definitely viable for serious usage as an in VR screen. You feel like there is a enough quality even at cinema screen distance.

• Hands in VR is magical. There is a slight lag of hand movement to visual update but it doesn't feel pointless. It feels like once all developers implement it that it is something you will actively want to use.

• Havn't tried beat sabre yet but tracking seems stable. I had no loss of tracking. The Quest1 tracking I found to be really poor compared to RiftS. I suspect that Quest2 wont be as good as RiftS but so far it seems solid! You dont feel like your fighting with the hardware!

• Device temperature is greatly improved over Quest1. It was part of the reason I returned Quest1. The front just got too hot! After about 45 minutes of mixed usage today on Quest2 I felt the front of the device. It was warm but not hot. The Quest1 literally made my head sweat and gave me a headache because it was too hot. The Quest1 always seemed to fog up for me too! Quest2 has probably a 2x-3x (subjective) improvement here!

- and some just modified the sound system:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/jag65t/the_frankenquest_2/

Would be great with some PCVR impressions, I have not found any yet. 

I didn't mean that Reddit users are different or worse, just that I know the regular posters here better, and have more of a feel for their biases, points of reference, and level of experience with VR headsets. That makes their first-hand impressions more useful to me than those of a stranger.

People with a negative view of Oculus, Facebook, or mobile headsets in general tend to focus more on the negative aspects, like that ArsTechnica review that made Quest 2 sound like the worst VR system out there. I didn't mean to imply that you were intentionally seeking out the negative reviews, but several of the snippets you posted did seem to focus mostly on problems or negative aspects, more so than the general impression I got from browsing Reddit today.

Anyway, I look forward to reading more firsthand accounts from the community members here as we start to receive our headsets.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    edited October 13
    nalex66 said:

Anyway, I look forward to reading more firsthand accounts from the community members here as we start to receive our headsets.
    Fully agree - I'd personally be much more interested in reports from users I know and trust, but of course we may be fewer in here and it may take some time charging and finding time to test the Quest 2. Looking forward to your review! ;)

Also happy persons may feel less inclined to post impressions than ones who got a problem - seems to fit the Index SubReddit in a nutshell. 

• payt69payt69 Posts: 9
    Brain Burst
    Just got the Q2, and after some fiddling with the Oculus app (it needed to be re-installed on my phone for it to include the Q2 connection option) it now works like a charm!

IPD has never been an issue for me on the Go and Rift S, so I assumed that the middle setting would be the one to go for on the Q2. Setting 2 seems fine, once I found the sweetspot. Setting 3 also works, but shows the edges of the LCD display, so that's not too great of an option.. I'll stick with 2 then!

The other thing I noticed is that things seem a bit bendy when I turn my head, especially on the higher region of the view. For instance, when I look at a tree, and then move my head around still looking at the tree, the tree seems to move along a bit. Not sure if this is due to something related to my particular situation, but it seemed odd. I compared it to the Rift S, and while thatdoes it too, it's less pronounced than on the Q2. It's a bit like looking through a fishbowl. I'm sure it's due to shape of the lenses, and I wonder if it can be corrected for in software.

As far as comfort: I would compare it to the Go, though the Go seems a bit more spacious and relaxed, perhaps. The Rift is still the king as far as comfort, but I don't foresee any issues wearing the Q2 for longer times.

All in all the Q2 offers a swift and smooth experience, with possibly a few bumps to iron out. It's charging as we speak, and I can't wait to give it another go!
  • DangerousDanHDangerousDanH Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    I am more than happy to leave my review here today.

One word. Fantastic.

More words:
    I was a Quest 1 user and the improvement in the sharpness of the display here is a joy to behold. There is no screen door effect. Everything is pin sharp. Super responsive. Setting 2 on the IPD adjustment is perfect for me, and the default strap really isn't too bad either, better than the one on Quest 1. The colours are fine - ok you don't get as deep blacks but it's more than made up for by the sharpness improvement.

The new controllers are responsive and comfortable.

I also just fired up PCVR using Virtual Desktop. Absolutely brilliant. In the high settings the quality in Steam VR is awesome. Text is super sharp. Latency under 30 ms on 5GHz wifi. I have no doubt this is a good enough PCVR headset to rival the industry leaders, with the benefit of portability!

The only negative is that I think the FOV is slightly reduced from Quest 1. It's not a major problem though. Something for Oculus to work on for Quest 3! 
    edited October 13
    I tried the middle IPD setting (as I mentioned I'm 68mm) but it wasn't great - pretty fuzzy with an ever so slight double image. I just wanted to see the difference in FOV and tbh it didn't seem the big gap that some of those redditors think it is.

I forgot to mention that the standard strap is very easy to adjust on your head. I thought it may be a problem, but it's very easy. Did anyone see the new videos on YT by Oculus? I watched them this morning (regarding Quest 2) but don't know if they have already appeared here.

I had already merged, so when I booted up Quest 2 I got straight in with no fuss.

• MarkT25810MarkT25810 Posts: 66
    Hiro Protagonist
    @JohnnyDioxin

Hi there i think my ipd is 67 if i remember....guess you had to use setting 3? i fear i may have too but if the FOV is worse i do not think i will get the headset after all, thats the biggest issue ive had with VR which they do not seem to improve much on

the FOV in my old rift s was all ok when i changed the settings in the software but fear this in setting 3 will be worse
    Well, you have to weigh up the pros and cons and decide what is acceptable for you. For me, yes, the FOV isn't fantastic - it really is like a diving mask shape and size - but the graphics are great and the Touch controllers are also nice, so it's worth it to me.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,773 Valuable Player
    Some of the regulars I follow in the Facebook VR Groups are giving Quest 2 high praises as well. Overall, the impressions I'm getting from sources I pay attention to are very high. This is especially exciting considering that this is Week 1 of its release. Usually the first week is a nightmare of complaints. Very groundbreaking moment in VR overall, imo.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,773 Valuable Player
    I should also add that,

Most of the "cons" from all sources seem to indicate a "small FoV." So at the very least, we can conclude that Quest 2 is not an overall upgrade for Rift-S users. It is a solid upgrade for Quest 1 users, but Rift-S may still have a few leads on Quest 2. Based on what I'm reading from multiple sources.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 1,061
    Wintermute
    edited October 14
    Whole day with the Q2.........my review.

Pro...
    The increase in clarity is very nice, making watching media way more enjoyable(i unfortunatly have to move the HMD about because of the IPD thing does not like me)
    Controllers are very good, nice, light and they seem to work perfectly, although i have not tried them yet with something like Beat saber.
    Audio is good, seems to have a nice bass to it also, and that basic headset seems to be ok, no issues with it even after a few hours in the HMD.
    The lighter weight from the quest 1 is very nice indeed, it is no longer like having a breeze block hung on your face.

Cons....
    That IPD mess is pure garbage, seems mine in between the third and second setting so it can never get both eyes totally clear.
    Third IPD setting and you see the edges of the LCD panel......unforgivable in a VR HMD as far as i am concerned.
    God rays are still there and the display is slightly blurry, but as i said, this might be because the IPD thing is trash and i can't fine tune it to my actual IPD.
    Black levels and colour vibrancey both take a hit compared to oled, but at this point the industry is going the cheaper lcd route so not much we can do about it, it is what it is.
    Oculus link works to a degree but iit is quite obvious that there is a visual impact on the clarity when compared to a native PCVR, plus that IPD thing just impacts on everything with this HMD for those who don't fit into those 3 specific settings.

So this thing is perfect for my better half as it is light, it fits her IPD perfectly and is not thethered to any PC, for me it is of no use whatsoever because of that one feature, that IPD thing, i mean would it have killed them to have a digital IPD slider in the menu options to fine tune into people IPDs, i mean WMR first gen had this option on W10.

A hit and miss HMD, will be great for some, will be useless for others.

edited October 14
    Zenbane said:
    Okay so...

I went to Target to get some snacks, came home with the Quest 2. Whoopsy!

First impressions?

What an absolutely gorgeous view! The clarity and crispness is a strong upgrade from Rift CV1, GO, and Quest 1.

I find it way more comfortable than the original Quest, and the default GO-style headstrap is perfect. This may very well hold me over for some time, for both stand-alone and PCVR.

Going to try some PCVR titles throughout the week and see how it all plays out.
    The Room VR: A Dark Matter may be a first choice, as I know you love puzzle games (and Room VR is the highest rated game in the Rift Store, 4.9/5 = 98% based on about 250 ratings) - it's one of the 3 games with 4K-ish textures, but Boneworks and Alyx may be even better - to show off the 4K panel res. 

Then again - one dude on Reddit mentioned that you get Quest 1 res in Quest 2 PCVR and that image quality was significantly worse than Rift-S, for now. He could not get any effect out of Oculus Tray Tool, thus super sampling did not work - or did not provide perceivable benefits to image quality, maybe due to the compression. 

Still Room VR for puzzle fans - and/or Boneworks - should still be the best way to test ultra-res PCVR textures quality, and maybe some good ol' Lucky's Tale ;)

Btw, Reddit seems relatively quiet this morning, some like Q2, some don't - most critical posts seem about problems merging accounts. Other central problems, like @OmegaM4N wrote, seem to be about comfort and IPD too. 

No matter what, also coming from Index, the jump in res from both CV1 and Quest 1 to Quest 2 should be massive - if it isn't, then something is wrong (IPD, some may have vision problems and not know it - and of course the new high-res panels should make PCVR compression artifacts extremely easy to see if present, because there's no SDE to cover up artifacts). Personally I highly recommend having both lcd and oled hmds available for PCVR, but I won't start repeating myself ... again :)

edited October 14
    I wonder if this is the first dude to notice the columns, but diagonal?! Anyome knows if Oculus rotated the Quest 2 panels?

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/jawc3t/quest_2_diagonal_lines_on_screen_and_hiss_from/

As written in a comment, another dude sees the columns too, which is to be expected if you got razor-sharp vision and use a lcd hmd.

Most Index, Reverb and Rift-S users do not see the columns, not sure I trust any review that does not comment on the columns, or is completely sure they are not present...

The Quest 2 doesn’t look like it has any sort of diagonal column pattern in this shot from Tyriel Wood’s latest “through the lens” video:

nalex66 said:
    The Quest 2 doesn’t look like it has any sort of diagonal column pattern in this shot from Tyriel Wood’s latest “through the lens” video:

You can't see them when you're standing still, lcd columns can only be seen when moving. It's not the usual SDE. Can be seen in some lcd TVs too, but normally you're so far away from a TV that they can't be seen - but lcd hmds are different. 

• Neo_33Neo_33 Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    I thought I’d give my opinion after playing with the quest 2 last night. I tried beat saber, walking dead S&S, and FitXR. The clarity of the lenses is a massive upgrade for me. It’s way clearer than the quest 1 and even the rift S. The default head strap works for me though I will replace it for the elite with battery later as I want the extra battery life. I don’t have any discomfort with the default strap. The headset is noticeably lighter to me. I love the new controllers. They feel like the CV1 controllers with only the ring facing towards you now. They have a little more weight on them than the quest 1 and feel more solid. Battery door no longer comes loose easily. Happy that the thumb rest area is back. Won’t have to worry about hitting random buttons accidentally. 

The only con I have is the IPD adjustment. It works for me in setting 3 as mine is 67 but not having a slider is a downgrade. I guess you have to cut something to get the cost down. 

Other than that, I feel the quest 2 is a solid upgrade. It definitely won’t please everyone. Merging my oculus account with my Facebook was easy as well. Still have all my apps and have all my privacy settings set.