New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Children not old enough for a Facebook account

dbiechlerdbiechler Posts: 1
NerveGear
My child loves the oculus but is not old enough for a facebook account. I do not want to skirt around rules to get him access to play this device. What are my options other than selling the Oculus on Ebay and moving on?
Tagged:

Comments

• BatLBBatLB Posts: 45
    Brain Burst
    edited October 13
    Creating a Facebook Account for yourself and use it. I don't understand why creating an Account is such an Issue for you guys, you don't have to do any social media stuff with it. Just make an account without photo and use the Quest 2. 
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,655 Valuable Player
    dbiechler said:
    My child loves the oculus but is not old enough for a facebook account. I do not want to skirt around rules to get him access to play this device. What are my options other than selling the Oculus on Ebay and moving on?

I was actually curious to see if this specific issue would start to get reported. Facebook does have an Age Limit for its use, but younger kids want to use Oculus VR. So it seems that the Facebook Age limit will naturally extend to Oculus VR's age limit.

Granted, Oculus maintains an Age Limit of 13+ for its VR devices. And Facebook also has the age limit of 13+.

For younger kids, they will either need to use their parents Oculus VR HMD, or pick a different product (like PlayStation VR).
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,913 Volunteer Moderator
    Zenbane said:
    or pick a different product (like PlayStation VR).
    Although Sony say PSVR is recommended for people 12 and over.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 6,760 Valuable Player
    kojack said:
    Zenbane said:

Guess no one knows how prolonged VR exposure affects developing brains, not sure I'd worry though. But kids tend to be much more immersed in VR, and might forget their physical surroundings - and thereby risk hurting themselves or damaging objects. I'd never let a child below age 12 or 13 be left alone in VR. 2c. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    kojack said:
    Zenbane said:

oops! I should have researched that first. FML
    I don't think its a Eula thing like for Oculus, just a recommendation.
    Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    For Oculus, the age limit is a recommendation. However, for Facebook I believe the age limit is a EULA thing. And since we now need a Facebook Account to use an Oculus VR product... the age limit just became an Oculus EULA thing.
    edited October 13
    Some parts of the 2018 Oculus End User License Agreement:
    BY ACCEPTING THESE TERMS OF SERVICE OR USING OUR SERVICES, YOU UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS A LEGALLY BINDING INSTRUMENT AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS HEREIN. PLEASE READ THESE TERMS OF SERVICE IN THEIR ENTIRETY. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THESE TERMS OF SERVICE, DO NOT ACCESS OR USE OUR SERVICES.
    The Services are intended solely for users who are 13 or older. Any registration for, or use of, the Services by anyone under the age of 13 is unauthorized, unlicensed and in violation of these Terms.
    We reserve the right to terminate your right to access and use the Services if you violate these Terms or any other terms or policies referenced herein, or if you otherwise create risk or possible legal exposure for us.

Edit: I didn't bold/capitalise that, just copy/pasted.

• MarkT25810MarkT25810 Posts: 59
    Hiro Protagonist
    Zenbane said:
    dbiechler said:

I was actually curious to see if this specific issue would start to get reported. Facebook does have an Age Limit for its use, but younger kids want to use Oculus VR. So it seems that the Facebook Age limit will naturally extend to Oculus VR's age limit.

Granted, Oculus maintains an Age Limit of 13+ for its VR devices. And Facebook also has the age limit of 13+.

For younger kids, they will either need to use their parents Oculus VR HMD, or pick a different product (like PlayStation VR).

people need to start sticking to the age limits on things inc games when it comes ot their kids...its simple but some will still moan or question when really...they have zero right too
  • Sean697Sean697 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    This is pretty bulloney . My son and me have been sharing my Quest under my account. He handles VR just fine. There is no negative affect. (Hes 10. Been doing VR since maybe 7) Just got a Quest 2 but now find I’m still stuck sharing my quest 2 with him as he cannot use the hand me down quest now. Because hes too young for a facebook profile. No family sharing.... fine. But I CANT EVEN BUY HIM HIS OWN GAMES if I wanted too because he cant get a facebook account. So basically its impossible for me to hand it down to him and still continue using my Quest 2 for me on my account.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,314 Valuable Player
    The age limit is due to children's eyesight still developing at that age or lower. So 13 seems like the sweet-spot for when it's safe for them to use a VR headset.

System Specs: ASUS NVIDIA RTX 3090 TUF GAMING OC 24GB , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • BatLBBatLB Posts: 45
    Brain Burst
    The age limit is due to children's eyesight still developing at that age or lower. So 13 seems like the sweet-spot for when it's safe for them to use a VR headset.
    The age limit is due to Facebook Account Limitations because of legal reasons. Nothing to do with eye development, since there is no study AT ALL proving any harm done by LCD/OLED Screens to children eyes.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,797 Valuable Player
    edited October 16
    We need to be clear that the age limit restriction has "flipflopped" regarding this platform. Original Oculus founders had one view they implements, then after acquisition a second view (linked to the Social Media services own parental control legal advisory) was implemented and then changed with the launch of the GearVR to the one that is currently reflected in their ToS. 

Promised research from a Oculus funded study was never released publicly, though was leaked, and seemed to point to issues with children's eyesight development that needed greater study (that was never officially started). While other medical investigations into the issue have looked closely at the duration of usage and the impact of IPD adjustment on developmental issues. 

Its clear to state that the majority of concerns that see the restrictions on age are based more on the corporations concerns of exposure to liability, than really in the actual harm being suggested. 
    2xan55713klf.png
    https://vrawards.aixr.org/
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,936 Valuable Player
    @kojack - Looks like more bans could be on the way if children under the age limit for VR are found to be using it.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,797 Valuable Player
    edited October 16
    RedRizla said:
    @kojack - Looks like more bans could be on the way if children under the age limit for VR are found to be using it.

Situation:
    - father buys Quest 2 and logs on to merged account
    - child picks up Quest 2 while father is away and plays on system

Regarding the current structure, we see these violations - 1. improper supervision of a minor, 2. improper use of an account, 3. breaking the ToS of the system. All of these will result if found out of a ban, and suspension of service - and also lay the owner liable to further action. That is a situation that will be prevalent during the holidays, and I have no idea how FB can police this without wielding the "ban hammer" like a game of whack-a-mole!

2xan55713klf.png
    https://vrawards.aixr.org/
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • ScaramooshScaramoosh Posts: 42
    Brain Burst
    Pathetic how this world is turning out, Orwell was right.