New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

New Facebook account banned within 10 minutes, photo id submitted, reviewed and cannot be reversed.

WeavusWeavus Posts: 19
Brain Burst

Got my Quest 2 today and created a new Facebook account with my real name (never had one previously) and merged my 4 year old Oculus account with it. Promptly got banned 10 minutes later and now cannot access my account or use my device.

Sent drivers license photo ID as requested by Facebook and my account now says "We have already reviewed this decision and it can't be reversed." upon trying to login so it looks like I've lost all my previous Oculus purchases and now have a new white paperweight.

I didn't use a VPN, I only used real information and the email was never used before for Facebook. 

Oculus support have not responded to my support ticket yesterday so I'm going to return the Quest 2 and work out how I can do chargebacks on everything I've purchased on the Oculus store in the last 4 years for my CV1 which I can no longer use.

Tagged:

Comments

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,797 Valuable Player

2xan55713klf.png
    https://vrawards.aixr.org/
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • SpikeHTSpikeHT Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Winter is Coming
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,190 Volunteer Moderator
    I see on your Reddit thread that Oculus Support reached out to you about 8 hours ago and offered to look into your situation. Did you respond to them, and have they done anything yet?
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,936 Valuable Player
    nalex66 said:
    I see on your Reddit thread that Oculus Support reached out to you about 8 hours ago and offered to look into your situation. Did you respond to them, and have they done anything yet?

How come they didn't reach out to him here so that people here can see what to do in future? Also, can Oculus Support get a Facebook ban lifted?
    RedRizla said:
    How come they didn't reach out to him here so that people here can see what to do in future? Also, can Oculus Support get a Facebook ban lifted?

This is seen by some parties within Facebook as being a "difficult" forum - so they focus on getting the message across on spaces they feel more comfortable on - such as the closed Oculus Facebook forum, or even Reddit!!
    2xan55713klf.png
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • WeavusWeavus Posts: 19
    Brain Burst
    nalex66 said:
    You know thats just a bot right, not a human?

Anyway, I already emailed Oculus many hours ago... can't post a link to the proof on this comment but its on the Reddit post.
    RedRizla said:
    nalex66 said:

He posted on Reddit 14 hours ago, and Oculus support posted in his thread 11 hours ago. His post here is only 3 hours old, and Oculus support is on west coast time, meaning its still 7:30 in the morning for them, so they probably haven't seen this post yet.
    Weavus said:
    nalex66 said:
    You know thats just a bot right, not a human?

Anyway, I already emailed Oculus many hours ago... can't post a link to the proof on this comment but its on the Reddit post.
    I know people on Reddit say that OculusSupport is a bot, but I also know that the when support staff reply here using the Oculus Support username, they are real people.

I genuinely want to see your situation resolved, because auto-bans and automated final reviews are just not acceptable when an Oculus account with multiple hardware and software purchases has been merged into the Facebook account.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • jabjab Posts: 295
    Nexus 6
    One step closer to that class action lawsuit.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 6,760 Valuable Player
    edited October 14
    Just did the math - I've paid exactly $ 1,988.00 for all the software I've bought in the Oculus Store since I got the Rift. So that's $ 2k in software alone. Basically that's why I don't have the guts to try to merge my Oculus account with my newly revived Facebook account - too much is at stake, and I've got nothing to win, not going to risk anything before I'm forced to do so. 

The most infuriating issue may be the "cannot be reversed" situation - I don't think that's legal when you're being denied access to hardware and software you're entitled to use, especially not if you're being banned from Facebook for apparently no reason at all (which seems to be the root of the problem in many posts from banned users - but of course we do not know if all relevant info has been made available by the OPs, although their stories seem quite similar and I've got no reason to mistrust the info given by these banned users). 

Btw, did I really pay $50 for The Climb?! :#  Must have been in a really good mood that day  :D
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,655 Valuable Player
    @Weavus - Facebook gives a reason for the ban. Like when my Skeletor account was auto-banned. I received an email stating that impersonating a public figure is not allowed.

What reason did Facebook give you for being banned?
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Brain Burst
    edited October 14
    Zenbane said:
    @Weavus - Facebook gives a reason for the ban. Like when my Skeletor account was auto-banned. I received an email stating that impersonating a public figure is not allowed.

No reason. I never received any communication from Facebook on my banning, just logged me out of my Quest 2 and Oculus Mobile app and any attempt to login does not work. Logging in from the Oculus Mobile app shows the following screen https://i.imgur.com/bLPgbir.jpg
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,913 Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 14
    Zenbane said:
    I received an email stating that impersonating a public figure is not allowed.
    But not for trying to conquer Eternia?
    Facebook needs to get its priorities in order.

Anyway...
    Yeah, I'm not looking forward to making a Facebook account before Monday (when my Quest 2 may arrive), too many reports of things going wrong.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest
    Weavus said:
    Zenbane said:

No reason. I never received any communication from Facebook on my banning, just logged me out of my Quest 2 and Oculus Mobile app and any attempt to login does not work. Logging in from the Oculus Mobile app shows the following screen https://i.imgur.com/bLPgbir.jpg

Hmm, do you live in a region where Facebook is banned? Facebook is banned in 10 regions:
    https://www.indexoncensorship.org/2014/02/10-countries-facebook-banned/

Did you use a name that impersonates a public figure? E.g. John Rambo. lol

What type of profile picture did you use? What type of activity did you engage in after you signed up? Like, did you start mass-liking a bunch of kitty cat photos? etc.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,913 Volunteer Moderator
    Zenbane said:

Hmm, do you live in a region where Facebook is banned? Facebook is banned in 10 regions:
    https://www.indexoncensorship.org/2014/02/10-countries-facebook-banned/
    Good point. Amazon in particular is currently selling the Quest 2 (not third party, but Amazon Global itself) in regions banned from making Facebook accounts like China.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest
  • BatLBBatLB Posts: 45
    Brain Burst
    Facebook and their Community Standards and banning of accounts is at a point where it actually becomes a financial and economical issue. Facebook has to change now - They are not longer the Mark Zuckerrobot Studentbook Website, they are now a Hardware Distributor and if you can't use the Oculus Quest because of a banned Facebook Account,  we have a huge problem.

Oculus, Facebook, DO something.
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,589 Valuable Player
    edited October 14
    RuneSR2 said:

The most infuriating issue may be the "cannot be reversed" situation - I don't think that's legal when you're being denied access to hardware and software you're entitled to use, especially not if you're being banned from Facebook for apparently no reason at all (which seems to be the root of the problem in many posts from banned users - but of course we do not know if all relevant info has been made available by the OPs, although their stories seem quite similar and I've got no reason to mistrust the info given by these banned users). 

It was annoying when I got a warning from Oculus before about behavior with no evidence and no right to reply. I was pretty pissed off for a while and so I can understand the concern. 

At first I thought it was something about my forum comments it was so vague a warning but thanks to Cyber (our then moderator) he looked into it and found the date it happened and that it was an in game complaint about conduct.

In my case it was my son and his friend who was messing around in Lone Echo which I worked out from the date. I still don't know to this day what happened.

If you are banned you should be told absolutely why and have the right to appeal to a human being.

Luciferous said:
    If you are banned you should be told absolutely why and have the right to appeal to a human being.

Agree 100%
    The comments on some of the forums seem to be growing about "arbitrary" bannings or blocking from access with no appeal process worth considering. We are seeing some "bot"/"assistants"?? trying to raise tickets or address complaints (which is good, if not a little disorganized), but there seems to be a need for an official and humanized process. I wonder if we will see a new structure to the Customer Support based on this new need for account logon?
    2xan55713klf.png
    RuneSR2 said:
    ...The most infuriating issue may be the "cannot be reversed" situation - I don't think that's legal when you're being denied access to hardware and software you're entitled to use, especially not if you're being banned from Facebook for apparently no reason at all (which seems to be the root of the problem in many posts from banned users - but of course we do not know if all relevant info has been made available by the OPs, although their stories seem quite similar and I've got no reason to mistrust the info given by these banned users).

Yeah, this is the concerning part. It's one thing for them to treat free social media accounts that way, but quite another once there is paid hardware and software involved. I'm pretty sure that sort of thing must run afoul of consumer protection laws. I was hoping that they would revamp their whole account review process, or at least give Oculus support the means to deal with account issues like this when an Oculus account has already been merged.

to the OP: is "Weavus" the Oculus account in question? I'm just curious how you logged into the forum, given that the sign-in page redirects to Oculus.com, which wants you to sign in with a Facebook or Oculus account. If you successfully signed in with your merged and locked-out Oculus account, that's interesting that it at least still functions for the forum.
  • jabjab Posts: 295
    Nexus 6
    edited October 14
    The big problem here is that facebook login used to be for a free web service, so getting a ban was not really a big problem. But now with the same login being tied to real $$$$ products and games they simply cannot (morally and legally) apply the same by the seat of your pants type banning. In fact they should not be able to ban you from using your legally owned products and games (single player) period.
    jab said:
    The big problem here is that facebook login used to be for a free web social service, so getting a ban was not really a big problem. But now with the same login being tied to real $$$$ products and games they simply cannot (morally and legally) apply the same by the seat of your pants type banning. If fact they should not be able to ban you from using your legally owned products and games (single player) period.

Unless the product is being used in a region where Facebook is banned. In that case, Facebook must prevent the use, or else it is Facebook that would be conducting the illegal activity.
    edited October 14
    According to the OP's Reddit thread, he's in the UK, so region shouldn't be the problem.
    Brain Burst
    nalex66 said:
    to the OP: is "Weavus" the Oculus account in question? I'm just curious how you logged into the forum, given that the sign-in page redirects to Oculus.com, which wants you to sign in with a Facebook or Oculus account. If you successfully signed in with your merged and locked-out Oculus account, that's interesting that it at least still functions for the forum.
    Yup, was surprised I could still login here to post on this forum (and was the reason I went to Reddit first).
    Brain Burst
    edited October 14
    nalex66 said:
    According to the OP's Reddit thread, he's in the UK, so region shouldn't be the problem.
    Correct, based in the UK, purchased via John Lewis who are a partner of Oculus in the UK. I think the device was sent straight from Oculus rather than JL as it was being delivered by the manufacturer. 
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,936 Valuable Player
    So it looks like you have just been banned for nothing. What has Oculus Support said about this or are they keeping you waiting while they look into it?
  • synchromesh62synchromesh62 Posts: 290
    Nexus 6
    I havent Merged my quest 1 yet as i did not need to but was going to later ..
    Suddenly im a bit worried after all this.  
    Brain Burst
    RedRizla said:
    So it looks like you have just been banned for nothing. What has Oculus Support said about this or are they keeping you waiting while they look into it?
    Nothing apart from an automated standard reply. I doubt they will be able to do anything anyway, I'm mostly interested now on if they will compensate my previous Oculus purchases I can no longer use on my CV1. The Quest is going back to JL tomorrow.
  • BatLBBatLB Posts: 45
    Brain Burst
    Weavus said:
    RedRizla said:
    Nothing apart from an automated standard reply. I doubt they will be able to do anything anyway, I'm mostly interested now on if they will compensate my previous Oculus purchases I can no longer use on my CV1. The Quest is going back to JL tomorrow.
    obviously they won't compensate you nothing. You shouldn't send the Quest back either. What you SHOULD do is get legal advice. They can't "ban" your physical device from being used, even if you told everyone on facebook to bang a dong.
    Brain Burst
    BatLB said:
    Weavus said:
    RedRizla said:
    obviously they won't compensate you nothing. You shouldn't send the Quest back either. What you SHOULD do is get legal advice. They can't "ban" your physical device from being used, even if you told everyone on facebook to bang a dong.
    They are Facebook, they can seemingly do what they like. I can also send it back for a refund and never purchase an Oculus product or service again. I have better things to do with my life than fight Facebook to take my money.
  • vududemanvududeman Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    The return period is 30 days I think if from Oculus--might be worth waiting a few days before returning to see if they can make it right.  Would be terrible to lose all the previous purchases.  I was able to merge my account yesterday before I received the Quest 2, and everything was smooth today (all purchases there).  It will make me nervous thinking my Facebook account status could affect access to past purchases.