New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

New to Vr and quest 2 makes me feel sick

So the Quest 2 is my first ever personal VR headset, I did not purchase the elite strap and I do suffer sometimes from motion sickness in general on boats, trains and certian types of rides at theme parks.

The defualt strap to be honest is poor on me its fiddly and just doesnt sit right on my face no matter what I do. If its not tight enough on my head then the headset will drop slightly and the focus on screen will blur as for some reason the sweet spot is so tight on this quest which is rather annoying me.

I have the IPD set at 2 but 1 doesnt seem much different just feels more close to my top of my nose slightly. I dont know if IPD will effect my sickness

My major gripe with it is when the headset it tight against my face I start getting a slight headache above my eyebrows, and after a while say 15 mins as thats how long I can use it for at one time before I need a break. Its like being pissed drunk after a night out when I have had one to many drinks and I come home and the room is pitch black and I am laying on my bed and my head is spinning around even when laying down and you know youre gonna puke up its not nice.

just feels like im slightly drunk and I need a couple hours or more before I can put it back on again, my dad tried it to and he felt the same you feel weird for the rest of the day like I get a lingering headache and feel lightheaded and just feel yuck.

I went into the developer experiemental settings and set the device for 90 hertz but that dont seem to help.

There is no way as it stands ill be able to stomach playing anything intense I can only just about handle big screen let alone even trying fps games like half life or the upcoming medal of honor.

I think if the quest felt more comfortable on my face and my face did not feel sore or under heavy pressure and no headache I might be able to last for 30 minuites or an hour. I would prefer a halo style strap that I have seen on other vr headsets as it should take the weight of the headset off the front of my face.

If I lay down on a flat surface and dont move my head and keep it still and watch a short video its manageble apart from the weight slowly hurting my face which for me still makes it unviable for watching a full movie, instead I go back to an actual TV to watch a film. 

But as it stands I cant have the strap less tight as it ruins the image, I dont want to grind on playing and feel so sick that I actually puke up as then I wont want to play it at all. The quest 2 elite strap I dont think will help much at all as the weight will still be fixed against the face even if its counter balanced slightly. 

But other than that I do like the quest 2 so far its not quite there yet but it will do in the future. 

If anyone has any resonable viable tips to reduce sickness I will give it a try. 

Comments

• KadrraKadrra Posts: 9
    Brain Burst
    welcome to VR 1st you want to find out what you pid is and get as close as possible with the new settings. then adjust the top and then the sides slowy.  it take a bit to find the happy zone . That is still the bigest issue with vr .Dont know why somoene has to made an app that you can just plug in your pid and make fine adjustments to fix this.  and the elite strap will help it is firmer then the cloth crap they shipped it with.  Also the headset should not be tight up on your face it can be loose again you have to find your happy zone. and that is what the elite headset allows you to do . Good Luck
  • MarkT25810MarkT25810 Posts: 66
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited October 15
    Plaguz said:
    So the Quest 2 is my first ever personal VR headset, I did not purchase the elite strap and I do suffer sometimes from motion sickness in general on boats, trains and certian types of rides at theme parks.

The defualt strap to be honest is poor on me its fiddly and just doesnt sit right on my face no matter what I do. If its not tight enough on my head then the headset will drop slightly and the focus on screen will blur as for some reason the sweet spot is so tight on this quest which is rather annoying me.

I have the IPD set at 2 but 1 doesnt seem much different just feels more close to my top of my nose slightly. I dont know if IPD will effect my sickness

My major gripe with it is when the headset it tight against my face I start getting a slight headache above my eyebrows, and after a while say 15 mins as thats how long I can use it for at one time before I need a break. Its like being pissed drunk after a night out when I have had one to many drinks and I come home and the room is pitch black and I am laying on my bed and my head is spinning around even when laying down and you know youre gonna puke up its not nice.

just feels like im slightly drunk and I need a couple hours or more before I can put it back on again, my dad tried it to and he felt the same you feel weird for the rest of the day like I get a lingering headache and feel lightheaded and just feel yuck.

I went into the developer experiemental settings and set the device for 90 hertz but that dont seem to help.

There is no way as it stands ill be able to stomach playing anything intense I can only just about handle big screen let alone even trying fps games like half life or the upcoming medal of honor.

I think if the quest felt more comfortable on my face and my face did not feel sore or under heavy pressure and no headache I might be able to last for 30 minuites or an hour. I would prefer a halo style strap that I have seen on other vr headsets as it should take the weight of the headset off the front of my face.

If I lay down on a flat surface and dont move my head and keep it still and watch a short video its manageble apart from the weight slowly hurting my face which for me still makes it unviable for watching a full movie, instead I go back to an actual TV to watch a film. 

But as it stands I cant have the strap less tight as it ruins the image, I dont want to grind on playing and feel so sick that I actually puke up as then I wont want to play it at all. The quest 2 elite strap I dont think will help much at all as the weight will still be fixed against the face even if its counter balanced slightly. 

But other than that I do like the quest 2 so far its not quite there yet but it will do in the future. 

If anyone has any resonable viable tips to reduce sickness I will give it a try. 

Try the elite strap to see if it helps with comfort...though it is firmer so it still may not be so good with pressure on the head...it is way more uncomfortable than the halo strap on the rift S though.

I suffer with migraines and I am on tablets 3 times a day to stop mine then if they do not work have to take another tablet and if that fails this other one to thin blood vessels in my brain which usually stops the migraine making me sick...as I'm being sick for 2 full days when a bad one comes on....so I understand your situation...I can't go on trains or buses too due to getting the same symptoms as my migraines.

So VR for me I can only use it maybe 1 hr to 1 half hrs because no matter how comfy the rift s was...it still made me bad if I was in it too long.

You may need to gradually use it and see if you get used to it.

Sometimes you won't though and may be VR is not for you....or like me can only use it for about 1 hr and get out of it before yous start feeling crap.

Also it makes me eye lids sore....not the lids exactly but the edges where eye lashes are...they go red and feel like my eyes are falling out haha
  • Draek2017Draek2017 Posts: 5
    Brain Burst
    When it comes to feeling sick this is perfectly normal and I do not believe this excludes you from VR.

This happened to me when I started. I would get quite sick. Sometimes so sick I would be sick for hours or even the rest of the day when using VR.

The solution is REALLY simple.

Use it until you feel sick even just a little. Take it off. Come back later. Rinse and repeat. Never EVER push throigh the sickness.

After a few months you will be fine.

I've now been playing VR for over a year and I can play for HOURS. I used to not get past 5-10 minutes.

The KEY point is to never push through the sickness. As soon as you feel ANY sickness, take it off. Wait at least an hour. Try again.

Trust me this will change everything for you.

You need to train your brain. It takes time. You can't force it. And if you push through it, you set yourself back.

Hope this helps! Trust me its worth it.

• MarkT25810MarkT25810 Posts: 66
    Hiro Protagonist
    Draek2017 said:
    When it comes to feeling sick this is perfectly normal and I do not believe this excludes you from VR.

This happened to me when I started. I would get quite sick. Sometimes so sick I would be sick for hours or even the rest of the day when using VR.

The solution is REALLY simple.

Use it until you feel sick even just a little. Take it off. Come back later. Rinse and repeat. Never EVER push throigh the sickness.

After a few months you will be fine.

I've now been playing VR for over a year and I can play for HOURS. I used to not get past 5-10 minutes.

The KEY point is to never push through the sickness. As soon as you feel ANY sickness, take it off. Wait at least an hour. Try again.

Trust me this will change everything for you.

You need to train your brain. It takes time. You can't force it. And if you push through it, you set yourself back.

Hope this helps! Trust me its worth it.

depends on the person, for me 1 1/2 is the total maximum sometimes only 1 hr when it comes to VR though i get migranes and on tablets anyway for them so this could be why i can never do any longer
  • rVRclosetrVRcloset Posts: 422
    Trinity
    Motion sickness will pass.
    About the strap, I actually find the Elite strap to cause more pressure in my face then the stock strap. I'm not super happy with the comfort of any of them.
    Halo straps like the Rift S is comfortable imo.
    The Closet Sim Rig
    Aourus Pro Z390 - i7 8086K 32GB Ram - MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB - Windows 10  / GT Omega WS - NLR V3 - RS6 - Jetseat kw-908 / Fanatec CSW 2.5 / Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals / Fanatec SQ Shifter 1.5 / Fanatec CS HB V.1.5 / HE SQ Shifter / SHH Shifter / TH8A Shifter / G27 Shifter - Button Box / DSD Button Box / BBJ Button Box / Wind simulator / Rift - S