cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Casting Quest 2 to Chromecast with Google TV

sherldaro
Explorer
Hi

Can't see this specific issue has been asked before, so hoping someone can help.  I am trying to cast from my Quest 2 to my new Chromecast with Google TV.  The Quest can see the Chromecast device, and when I select to cast to it, it says "sending request", then 3-4 seconds later, fails with a cast/streaming error.  I can cast from Quest to iPhone app, and from iPhone to Chromecast, just not Quest 2 Chromecast.  As mentioned, it can see it in the device list, so is on the same network, etc.  Any help greatly appreciated.
15 REPLIES 15

SpaceDawgKosmo
Honored Guest
sherldaro said:
Hi

Can't see this specific issue has been asked before, so hoping someone can help.  I am trying to cast from my Quest 2 to my new Chromecast with Google TV.  The Quest can see the Chromecast device, and when I select to cast to it, it says "sending request", then 3-4 seconds later, fails with a cast/streaming error.  I can cast from Quest to iPhone app, and from iPhone to Chromecast, just not Quest 2 Chromecast.  As mentioned, it can see it in the device list, so is on the same network, etc.  Any help greatly appreciated.
Is this problem still persisting? I'm thinking of buying a Chromecast with Google TV to stream with my OQ2.

rkwillms
Honored Guest
My son and I both have a quest 2 and neither of us can cast to any devices. We are able to connect to the device but it only shows a black screen. The quest to operate is expected and it looks like it's casting but the device that we're casting to just shows the black screen. Any advice?

sherldar
Honored Guest
Still can't get this resolved, and tried everything I can think of.  Same thing every time, the Oculus can see the Chromecast, I select to cast to it, and it just says "sending request", then comes back with an error.  Very frustrating.

erikjesswn
Honored Guest
You're going thru the oculus app on your phone and selecting the chromecast? Just did it last night zero issues.

sherldaro
Explorer
This is an issue between Oculus and the "Chomecast with Google TV".  I've now tried the ethernet adapter for the chromecast and still no luck.  However, I could get it working last night by turning the 5GHz band off on the router, to force it over 2.4GHz.  This is odd as before I tried the ethernet, I could see on the router both the Oculus and the Chromecast were both on 5GHz, so it's not like they were on different bands.  If I turn off 2.4GHz and just use 5GHz, it doesn't work!   Unfortunately I have BT Smart Hub 2, so unable to separate the 2 bands out into different wifi networks.

LeonSujiken
Honored Guest
I had the problem with my Quest 2 casting to my chromecast ultra. It would send the signal but would automatically just stop. After a few minutes it would finally cast to it but while I was streaming Beat Saber on twitch, it would only catch the top half of my field of view. So I would have to tilt my head way down for the stream to be able to see the rest of my regular view. I didnt have this problem with my Quest 1

sherldaro
Explorer
After a lot of playing around, the only way I can reliably get this working is by putting an old cheap Wireless Access Point, connected via Ethernet in the same room as we use the Quest, ands create a new 2.4GHz only network with different SSID, which the Quest connects to.  This now works all the time (although go very blocky from time to time).   Must say, Oculus support were awful.  Firstly they just sent me the casting instructions, then when I explained that I can cast from all other devices except the Quest, they said I need to contact Google support!!! 

andreamoreira19
Honored Guest
Hello Sheridaro. I'm having the same problem as you and have not received good assistance from Oculus support either. I can still connect other devices to my Chromecast but can't connect the Quest 2. WHat a pity...

mroily
Honored Guest
Just disabled 5ghz on my router and looks to be working perfectly after previously seeing the error connecting message when my Google Chromecast was on 5ghz.