New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Interesting observation (game save transfers)

ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,655 Valuable Player
Tonight I set up my Quest 2  on  my new Alienware laptop to connect, via Link, to Oculus PCVR.

Previously, I had titles such as, Walking Dead Onslaught, installed on my Desktop; which is connected to my Rift CV1. So tonight I installed that same title on my laptop, and was expecting that the install on a new machine was going to force me to start the game over from the beginning. I assumed that the save files were localized.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that I am able to pick up exactly where I left off in the game. It's rather fun knowing that I can go between my Quest and Rift on the same game, and my progress will transfer over.

I wonder if this is game specific, or if it applies to all titles? I need to test this out more.
Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
Tagged:

Comments

• kojackkojack Posts: 6,913 Volunteer Moderator
    Cloud saves are an optional developer feature.
    I don't know if there's any limitations on the save size, the docs are a bit vague on that. But it looks pretty easy to use.
    I guess a lot don't because before sdk 1.39 the old cloud save system was very manual and the dev had to deal with conflicts and stuff. The newer 1.39 and above cloud save system is far easier to implement.

Plus of course it only works with oculus store games, devs supporting multiple platforms might not want to have to make cloud and non cloud subsystems for save games, so just make the one that works everywhere.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest
  • rVRclosetrVRcloset Posts: 413
    Trinity
    Zenbane said:
    Tonight I set up my Quest 2  on  my new Alienware laptop to connect, via Link, to Oculus PCVR.

Previously, I had titles such as, Walking Dead Onslaught, installed on my Desktop; which is connected to my Rift CV1. So tonight I installed that same title on my laptop, and was expecting that the install on a new machine was going to force me to start the game over from the beginning. I assumed that the save files were localized.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that I am able to pick up exactly where I left off in the game. It's rather fun knowing that I can go between my Quest and Rift on the same game, and my progress will transfer over.

I wonder if this is game specific, or if it applies to all titles? I need to test this out more.
    Cool! I downloaded Journey Of The Gods on my Q2 today, have it on my Rift S, will be interesting to see if I can continue where I left of!
    The Closet Sim Rig
    Aourus Pro Z390 - i7 8086K 32GB Ram - MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB - Windows 10  / GT Omega WS - NLR V3 - RS6 - Jetseat kw-908 / Fanatec CSW 2.5 / Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals / Fanatec SQ Shifter 1.5 / Fanatec CS HB V.1.5 / HE SQ Shifter / SHH Shifter / TH8A Shifter / G27 Shifter - Button Box / DSD Button Box / BBJ Button Box / Wind simulator / Rift - S
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,191 Volunteer Moderator
    I wish more games took advantage of cloud saves. I've installed my entire Quest library onto my Quest 2, and I'm faced with starting over in most games. A few recent ones do use cloud saves (Cubism, Tetris Effect), but they're in the minority. You'd think at least stuff with leaderboards like Beat Saber and Pistol Whip would use them.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0