New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Asgard's Wrath allocated space then crash instsall, now SSD is filled up by something

sloggothsloggoth Posts: 4
NerveGear
I started the Asgard's Wrath install.  I had to end task about 12% through because another game locked up oculus.  Now, the game says it needs to allocate 130GBs AGAIN and I don't have it. 

How do I free up that space taken during the initial install.

Thanks in advance!
sloggoth

Comments

• sloggothsloggoth Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I'm an old InstallShield dev, so if you need me to gak a GUID in appdata, it won't scare me :)
    NerveGear
    I found the game in "staging" and deleted it.  That solves the symptom, now you fix the bug :)
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,967 Volunteer Moderator
    One thing I've found is that if there are any left over files in the destination directory, the install will most likely fail (leaving everything in staging but not reusing staging and downloading it all again anyway).
    For example if you had Asgard's Wrath installed in the past and uninstalled it, but it left a log file behind.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest
    NerveGear
    Thanks for the info.  You know, I finally bought what is heralded as the best VR game (sorry Alyx), so I also pulled the trigger on a WD Black nvme 1TB drive, so gonna get those two together and immerse myself :)
  • SquigiboSquigibo Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Installer, written by 3 year olds. 
    NerveGear
    kojack said:
    One thing I've found is that if there are any left over files in the destination directory, the install will most likely fail (leaving everything in staging but not reusing staging and downloading it all again anyway).
    For example if you had Asgard's Wrath installed in the past and uninstalled it, but it left a log file behind.

Also had to whack "Wrathgame" from Appdata..... doesn't like seeing that left over from a failed install. 

NerveGear
    edited October 18
    Solved - AsgardWrath Downloads and won't install

The destination drive MUST have 150Gb Free prior to (re)installation.  

1) Delete ALL FILES from Game Destination directory.
    2) Delete anything named "WraithGame" from C:\Users\%username%\Appdata\Local\
    3) Reinstall (Sorry)

The installer first looks for 80Gb and you have less than 150Gb, the download starts, then the second stage looks for  additional space to patch (and now you don't have it).  It then fails, then rolls back the download directory to empty, and leaves the \Staging\ with game files (these are now broken or incomplete).... so delete the whole install directory and delete "C:\Users\%username%\Appdata\Local\WraithGame
    This will also happen if you are downloading and playing another game and Oculus crashes, or get's wonkey. The downloader hangs and leaves behind the appdata entry which then causes it to loop download.  - Sad but two lines of code in the installer to delete that entry from appdata if found, and delete it so it doesn't cause a download/install/break/download loop, if everything goes bad.