New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Faint Hiss before Toxic smell

This afternoon I played a bit of Beatsaber before doing normal PC gaming. I left my rift s connected and used my headphones through the Rift S for normal gameplay. After a while I got a faint hissing sound like something was losing pressure before a pungent toxic smell filled the air in the room i was playing in. Wondering if this could be casused by the Rift S and it is a sign i need to do someting about it. The Rift S is under a year old.

Comments

• kojackkojack Posts: 6,969 Volunteer Moderator
    There's nothing pressurised inside of a Rift-S. There's no Lithium Ion battery like the Go, Quest or Quest 2.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,872 Valuable Player
    Obviously pretty hard to say given the limited info provided.  Could be a failed PC power supply, who knows?  Could also have been the result of the can of beans he had for lunch, lol!

Anyway, always nice to see a one post poster, who only just joined this forum, pass on this valuable info.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• debevickdebevick Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    What you describe sounds like a blown electrolytic capacitor. never did a teardown on my S so I don't know if there are any in there