New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

SOLUTION - Wrong Oculus Account Linked to Facebook Account

TribbTribb Posts: 24
Brain Burst
Waited a week for Oculus to fix my issue of wrong Oculus account tied to Facebook account. Library was empty. Found a solution on Reddit from iMason420.

Using a computer web-browser, Not The App, go to the Oculus website and login with the inncorrect account.

Make sure this is the Oculus account YOU DO NOT WANT, because you are going to delete that account:
Go to Profile, Privacy Center, Delete Your Oculus Data

You will be brought to the Facebook site to complete the deletion.

Now you can log in to the Oculus App with your good Oculus account and link it to Facebook. Note: I had to delete the Oculus App cache.

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 7,124 Valuable Player
    When it's so simple, Oculus Support should have been able to tell you in a very short time. 2c. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • TribbTribb Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    We waited a week for a 5 minute solution, and the solution didn't even come from Oculus.
  • PITTCANNAPITTCANNA Posts: 538
    Trinity
    RuneSR2 said:
    When it's so simple, Oculus Support should have been able to tell you in a very short time. 2c. 
    The problem is that its not so simple.  Oculus/facebook is probably getting slammed with tech support by people who are not as computer savvy or don't know how to describe a problem for the launch week.

Probably behind the scenes they are making a script to solve this,  most people don't have 2 or 3 facebook accounts.

Although not ideal facebook provides the server and security to store account information.
  • carl.sanders1carl.sanders1 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I can confirm that this has WORKED. AWESOME WORK.
  • mvorstermansmvorstermans Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited October 22
    Not working for me - managed to delete the incorrect Oculus account from FB, and App is no longer insisting that Facebook was already linked to another account. 

But, now it just repeats the "merge warning" screen in the app whenever I click the "Continue with Facebook" button to merge with the correct account. Deleted cache, deleted Oculus app, reinstalled - no change.

Went to log in at Oculus with FB account and was told "Your Oculus account is currently scheduled for deletion. Please contact Oculus support." 

Tried to link accounts from Oculus desktop app, which opens a browser window and correctly identifies the two accounts I want to link, but it fails after I hit the confirm button and says " It looks like you're lost. Let's get you back home."

Any ideas?
  • NigelSMASHNigelSMASH Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited October 22
    Not working for me either with the exact same issue as mvorstermans.

Did a live chat with support again earlier to go through this and update my original ticket I logged from the 13th and no help at all. Instead, they raised a new ticket which I'm 95% sure they've sent to the wrong email address (typo in their confirmation of the email address during chat) despite me stating this. It doesn't show in my list of support tickets nor have I received any confirmation of a new ticket being raised or anything added to my original ticket since I first logged it.

I've logged out of all sessions in FB, cleared cache in the Android app, tried two separate devices, even different WiFi networks but nada.

I honestly do not believe that I've encountered more frustrating support in my life. Clearly they no membership of the SDI.
  • koaakuakoaakua Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited October 22
    Not working for me - managed to delete the incorrect Oculus account from FB, and App is no longer insisting that Facebook was already linked to another account. 

But, now it just repeats the "merge warning" screen in the app whenever I click the "Continue with Facebook" button to merge with the correct account. Deleted cache, deleted Oculus app, reinstalled - no change.

Went to log in at Oculus with FB account and was told "Your Oculus account is currently scheduled for deletion. Please contact Oculus support." 

Tried to link accounts from Oculus desktop app, which opens a browser window and correctly identifies the two accounts I want to link, but it fails after I hit the confirm button and says " It looks like you're lost. Let's get you back home."

Any ideas?
    Same issue here; I've put in a ticket including screenshots and the need (merge x oculus account with y facebook account) but nothing yet.

Super disappointing to have a bricked headset right off the bat. I only ran to best-buy to pick this up because I found the fix Tribb posted (as well as stalking iMason's original reddit chain), but it didn't work for me!

Edit: On the Oculus login page, if I click login as FaceBook it indicates my account is scheduled for deletion. Is this the reason I cannot use my headset, and if so, am I locked out for up to 30 days while my account deletion is reviewed?? If so this is completely unacceptable. 
  • korzmankorzman Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    I'm having the same issue. I'm hoping that it's just taking a little time to sync through all the accounts. I really don't want to have to wait 14 days to merge and use the quest 2. I've been trying to get this resolved with facebook and Oculus since Oct 7
  • korzmankorzman Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    edited October 22
    Don't know if it was done but figure I would mention. Make sure to clear your cache on phone app prior to trying to pair the Quest 2. I had similar problems until I cleared the oculus app cache on my android. 
    I'm using iOS devices. The only way to clear the app cache that I know of was to uninstall the oculus app and reinstall, which I did. I still get stuck in the loop of "continue in facebook..." I've contacted support again... and I'll try re-linking later today. 
    It appears as if the oculus info is "marked for deletion" but not actually deleted or unlinked. They say this could take up to 14 days. 
  • Surf_NerdSurf_Nerd Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Didn't work for me either.  I deleted the bad, empty Oculus account... Now I am in the do loop of doom.
    I have to ask... Does FB do any use case testing?  If you are going to ask for people to combine accounts... this is a pretty damn easy use case to see coming.  
  • NigelSMASHNigelSMASH Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Surf_Nerd said:
    Didn't work for me either.  I deleted the bad, empty Oculus account... Now I am in the do loop of doom.
    I have to ask... Does FB do any use case testing?  If you are going to ask for people to combine accounts... this is a pretty damn easy use case to see coming.  
    With this issue and the FB account insta-ban issue, and elite head-strap issue, I doubt it. I guess they're following Microsoft's lead and having no paid testers.

What's curious is that this appeared to work -- and now doesn't. The cynic would say that the workaround has been intentionally 'broken' for some reason, while the optimist would say that wheels are in motion to fix this that has, ironically, broken the easier / quicker fix. Both are unacceptable.

I've been waiting 10 days -- since launch day -- for a fix. Here, Reddit, Twitter, etc. people are told to raise Oculus support tickets that usually result in being told to wait another 72-96 hours for a reply at best or, at worse, entirely misunderstand the what the actual issue is (and in one ticket I raised associated it with an incorrect email address so I have no idea where that ticket went). 10 days is an astonishing amount of time for widespread issue such as this to be happening. Change Management dictates that you have rollback plans in place (although it also requires comprehensive testing prior to roll-out and, well, there's little evidence of that going on). I'm yet to find out if my Quest 2 and controllers even actually work properly given the context of reports of dud controllers, internal fan issues, etc.

Customers in Australia have started to receive their headsets after being beset with delays and have been compensated with $30 store credit (not a dig -- I'm happy for you Aussie friends), where as many of us have had the device since or close to launch day and are no further to actually using them. Can I and others experiencing this expect store credit for the delays in being able to use the headsets? Serious question. I've followed the instructions to the letter and I'm still unable to use the headset. Yes, I and other can (and some have) return the headsets, but that doesn't actually fix this issue as the account issue may impact my future ability to use my CV1 and Go headsets if it isn't resolved.
  • synchromesh62synchromesh62 Posts: 425
    Trinity
    I think its a forgone conclusion the fix has been tampered with..
    100 % success rate then suddenly no one having any luck at all. 
  • Cody_LeeCody_Lee Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited October 24
    This sucks - i was doing fine then my phone app suddenly decided i  was logged into the wrong facebook profile and now i'm fucked. what a load of bull this is

Thank you for reaching out to Oculus Support. A support ticket (1675799 has been created for you.

We aim to respond to your request within 2 business days. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

We look forward to being of service to you.

• ZombiePigZombiePig Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    FACEBOOK, Do you have a crack team dedicated solely to doing stupid, F'd up shit to piss people off? If so, hats off, that's probably the most productive team you have. Cambridge Analytica; dismissing the threat and failing to act aggressively to stop foreign governments and others from using your platform to attempt to influence the election; giving companies our data you said you'd protect, oh, the list goes on.
    NerveGear
    No further responses to support tickets - so either I wait unknown period for the scheduled deletion to complete, or merge the Oculus account with a different FB account, eg son's account. 

DO they care if the names don't match 100%?
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,269 Volunteer Moderator
    Using someone else’s Facebook account isn’t ideal, because the Oculus account is permanently absorbed into it, and the Facebook account becomes your identity for all things Oculus, and the owner of all your content. 

Have you tried doing a factory reset on the Quest 2, so that the unwanted Oculus account is not active on a device? Just wondering if that’s what’s holding up the process. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • david.clifton.129794david.clifton.129794 Posts: 2
    NerveGear

I have had exactly the same problem. In fact I was totally unaware that I already had an oculus account (which I obviously do not use) linked to my Facebook account.    I only found out once I tried to set up my new Oculus quest 2 And merge the account which I do use to Facebook. Have had a ticket in with Oculus which was then forwarded to Facebook 12 days ago and I have had absolutely no response at all!  I've now tried your solution and it has worked!  So much appreciated. It is quite shocking that Facebook are unable (or do not have the resource Since they are currently overwhelmed with account merging issues) to figure out the simple fix.  

• david.clifton.129794david.clifton.129794 Posts: 2
    NerveGear

Just an additional note which may help people to make this fix work. I found I had to delete both the Oculus app and the Facebook app from my phone after I had deleted the Oculus account which I wanted to get rid of. I then reinstalled both these apps before beginning the merge process.   

• TribbTribb Posts: 24
    Brain Burst

Just an additional note which may help people to make this fix work. I found I had to delete both the Oculus app and the Facebook app from my phone after I had deleted the Oculus account which I wanted to get rid of. I then reinstalled both these apps before beginning the merge process.   

Thanks David. Hopefully that will help the folks that were having trouble.
  • BeearterBeearter Posts: 20
    NerveGear
    Very interesting
  • YaelHickmoreYaelHickmore Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Still no luck with mine - have cleared data/cache, uninstalled & re-installed both apps a number of times, still cannot get it to merge. Support kindly reassured me that my oculus account isn't linked with a facebook account this morning, and to let them know if they can help with anything else.... It was before we bought the quest 2... How about helping me getting it linked?? 
  • leoboomleoboom Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited October 28
    I actually merged my oculus account with facebook several weeks before. At setting up the quest 2, I had to reinstall the app as it did not show quest 2. At logging in I had to continue with facebook and provide an email address for bills etc.
    It didn`t accept my oculus account email address so I finally made a new email and used that.
    It then showed an account with the new address without any of my games. I guess same as with you all.
    I then went to facebook and deleted the unwanted account.

Now whenever I try to login with my original account at oculus.com it says my account is merged and I should continue with facebook. When I login with facebook it says my account is scheduled for deletion pls contact oculus support.
    The oculus phone app also says account is merged login with facebook and then keeps giving the turning circle thingy.

It was the 23rd when I opened a ticket and so far I have only received pre written replies. I am afraid they have not even read my mails :(

I have tried all of the above but unfortunately with no result.
    I really hope they will not delete my original account as I have more then 70 games on there.

NerveGear
    Gave up waiting, merged with my son's account, completed setup, hope they don't ban me.
  • hippystuff1hippystuff1 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Tribb said:
    Waited a week for Oculus to fix my issue of wrong Oculus account tied to Facebook account. Library was empty. Found a solution on Reddit from iMason420.

Using a computer web-browser, Not The App, go to the Oculus website and login with the inncorrect account.

Make sure this is the Oculus account YOU DO NOT WANT, because you are going to delete that account:
    Go to Profile, Privacy Center, Delete Your Oculus Data

You will be brought to the Facebook site to complete the deletion.

Now you can log in to the Oculus App with your good Oculus account and link it to Facebook. Note: I had to delete the Oculus App cache.

• YaelHickmoreYaelHickmore Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Tried that hippystuff1 - still didnt work, but have finally heard back from Oculus who say that I have to give it another 7 days before the wrong oculus account is fully deleted, then I should be able to merge the two accounts I do want to keep. I'm slightly sceptical but keeping everything firmly crossed!
  • hippystuff1hippystuff1 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I spent 3 whole days on the support chat to the oculus team trying to stay calm trying to delete one account and transferring my games to the right account I was cut off chat a number of times then had to explain all over again and again and again  to another chat operator and gave screen shots of purchased games my details and last purchase headset model number what headset I have and payment details   and guess what I gave up before I pulled my hair out as I was just going around in circles it was a horrible experience as it was driving me mental and I was getting stress out  and getting fob off as this could have been straight forward from day one  and it’s a dam shame I had to put up with this as I have two headset but now all my hard earning have just vanish into thin air and I have to bite the bullet now as I will not go through this again a rather chuck it in the bin I hope no one has to go through this oculus look after your customers before they disappear and go else where 😒
  • WikiD007WikiD007 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited October 31
    Dammit I tried the fix and I thought I almost had it but alas it has not worked.

- Deleted the rogue oculus account that was linked to my Facebook through PC.  How was it even created? I've never used oculus using my Facebook. It says its on 30 day suspension grace period now.
    - Then deleted Instagram app, Facebook app and Oculus app off my phone and logged Facebook out of internet.
    - Then just reinstalled Oculus app ,and then when I logged into my actual oculus account and start  the merge process I manage to get the oculus app to switch over to the internet version of Facebook and ask for me to log in.

Got excited at this point

- Logged into Facebook, but then when it says Oculus would like  access to your Facebook account, "continue with xxx my name xxx" 
    It goes to a blank page with oculus in the title.  and thats it

Once I install the Facebook app again, and try the merge, it just does that thing where it loops back.

Maybe once the 30 day period has ended and the rogue oculus data has been deleted, it might work.
  • torpedojoetorpedojoe Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    WikiD007 said:
    Dammit I tried the fix and I thought I almost had it but alas it has not worked.

- Deleted the rogue oculus account that was linked to my Facebook through PC.  How was it even created? I've never used oculus using my Facebook. It says its on 30 day suspension grace period now.
    - Then deleted Instagram app, Facebook app and Oculus app off my phone and logged Facebook out of internet.
    - Then just reinstalled Oculus app ,and then when I logged into my actual oculus account and start  the merge process I manage to get the oculus app to switch over to the internet version of Facebook and ask for me to log in.

Got excited at this point

- Logged into Facebook, but then when it says Oculus would like  access to your Facebook account, "continue with xxx my name xxx" 
    It goes to a blank page with oculus in the title.  and thats it

Once I install the Facebook app again, and try the merge, it just does that thing where it loops back.

Maybe once the 30 day period has ended and the rogue oculus data has been deleted, it might work.
    So I have the same thing happening . this is sooo frustrating :( Just commenting here incase some figures it out. I guess the fix worked last month but doesn't see to be working now. 
  • PBrabynPBrabyn Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Tried that hippystuff1 - still didnt work, but have finally heard back from Oculus who say that I have to give it another 7 days before the wrong oculus account is fully deleted, then I should be able to merge the two accounts I do want to keep. I'm slightly sceptical but keeping everything firmly crossed!
    Likely story. I'm just about ready to chase a refund. As an early adopter, this experience has been abysmal. Almost $800 for a paper weight and a bit of rope. A week of shipping delays, then 2 weeks waiting for zero solution and zero support. Absolutely not happy.

Can anyone point me to a phone number, or return forms & address?