New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Elite Strap breaking?

rbhamiltonrbhamilton Posts: 1
NerveGear
Hey people.  I ordered my Elite Strap and it's due to arrive in a couple days.  But I have seen now 26 documented posts with photos of the plastic breaking - all in about the same spot.  Is the strap OK?  It's expensive enough that it should be really decent.  Is this a widespread manufacturing defect?  A bad batch?  Some kind of user abuse?  

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,053 Valuable Player
    Probably a bad batch with a manufacturing defect I would have thought, otherwise we'd be seeing A LOT more cases being reported.

They must have sold an absolute shitload of these things by now.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 3,073 Valuable Player
    Mines just fine and for plastic, it seems pretty sturdy.  I suspect that most complaints on Reddit are from kiddies who have been tossing them around or knocking their little heads on walls, lol!  You are really best to avoid believing a lot of Reddit tossers imho.

Of course if you get yours and you do not like it you can always just return it for a refund.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest 1 w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• gdc27gdc27 Posts: 18
    Brain Burst
    No issues with mine so far. I make sure i release the ratchet to its maximum before taking the Q2 on or off.
  • synchromesh62synchromesh62 Posts: 419
    Trinity
    TomCgcmfc said:
    I suspect that most complaints on Reddit are from kiddies who have been tossing them around or knocking their little heads on walls, lol!  
    No here are a couple pics of these, Looks like a material issue.
    Enough to make me think the headset could go that way if its the same plastic ?  

Ya, could be a defect or it could have been dropped on a hard floor.  In any case I'm sure if the person sends pics to where they bought it from they should get a replacement.  Like the OP says, it's a good idea to loosen the headband before putting it on/off to help avoid over-stressing it.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest 1 w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,870 Valuable Player
    Will be interesting to see if this is : 

- Bad batch from a manufacturer
    or
    - Bad design (Design Flaw)

Due to the current conditions, the normal amount of time that would have gone into QA has been halved so we can not rule out a design flaw.
    2xan55713klf.png
    https://vrawards.aixr.org/
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 7,103 Valuable Player
    kevinw729 said:

or

Due to the current conditions, the normal amount of time that would have gone into QA has been halved so we can not rule out a design flaw.
    All straps are now unavailable:

https://www.oculus.com/quest-2/accessories/

Maybe sold out or temporarily removed... 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • JohnnyDioxinJohnnyDioxin Posts: 2,722 Valuable Player
    edited October 23
    I'm wondering if a lot of this damage is caused by people being a little too careless when removing (twisting) and refitting the straps.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
    Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
    RuneSR2 said:
    kevinw729 said:

or

All straps are now unavailable:

https://www.oculus.com/quest-2/accessories/

Maybe sold out or temporarily removed... 
    Seems I'm not alone thinking Straps have been removed:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/jgl9c5/so_both_straps_stopped_being_sold_on_oculuscom_in/
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• vududemanvududeman Posts: 36
    Brain Burst
    I have the elite strap with battery--which you think is under more pressure with the back weight.  Curious if there have been reports of issues with that as well.  Mine has been fine for the short time I've had it.

Trinity
    That explains the removal from the store.
    Defective manufacturing.
  • KeitaroryuKeitaroryu Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Explains why my order for my elite battery strap has been "processing for shipment" for the past week. 
    That explains the removal from the store.
    Defective manufacturing.

The old problem of a failure in Quality Assurance. See from the past:

- Red screen failure
    - Dead Pixels
    - Bricked headset
    - Speaker Failure
    - Controller Battery door problem
    - Controller trigger problem
    - Scratched lenses
    - Cable failure

All examples of how difficult batched fabrication manufacturer is, and the need for a good QA team.

2xan55713klf.png
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    Trinity
    Wouldnt be so bad if they made some announcements about the issues at the moment but its radio silence.
    Doesnt matter how big you are lose your public confidence and your done.

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 1,090
    Wintermute
    edited October 23
    And they want £50 for the strap alone.........maybe someone should educate them on the defination of "Elite". lol

But just a little tip for those who might still have their Vive laying about, as the default Vive strap can sit inside the default Q2 strap and actually make it much for comfortable, and it also covers those two horrible metal clips that slowly bore into the back of your head after 10 mins. ;)
  • JohnnyDioxinJohnnyDioxin Posts: 2,722 Valuable Player
    Wouldnt be so bad if they made some announcements about the issues at the moment but its radio silence.
    Doesnt matter how big you are lose your public confidence and your done.

This has always been their way. Isn't it the way of many of the biggest firms these days? They are too big to care if they lose a few customers over a niche product or service - drop in the ocean.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
    Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
    Trinity
    edited October 23
    This has always been their way. Isn't it the way of many of the biggest firms these days? They are too big to care if they lose a few customers over a niche product or service - drop in the ocean.
    Well ye Facebook might but who cares about them. Its the Oculus name and product that suffers.
    Commodore thought they were on top of the world and were once .. once 
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,306 Valuable Player
    Ah so I see we now have a "Strap-gate" with Quest 2.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,808 Valuable Player
    This is a growing concern. Oculus will need to address this asap.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 1,090
    Wintermute
    dburne said:
    Ah so I see we now have a "Strap-gate" with Quest 2.

Looking forward to the incoming Baz video explaining how consumers should make sure their headsize is in good standing before using this strap with their Q2. Lol

I hate to say this but there also seems to be problems with the Q2 stock foam faceplate leaking its black dye.  A few have reported black circles around their eyes after a long (maybe sweaty?) session. 

I gotta say that after a fairly long session a couple of days ago I placed my headset on top of the cardboard box it came in and later I noticed 2x black marks on the box where the headset had been resting on.  I have not noticed any leakage on my face at least and I have now given the foam a bit of a wipe with a slightly damp cloth and I did not see any dye transfer.  So, maybe just like the new car smell it fades away, lol!

edited October 24
    The Quest-2 has been a incredible launch - especially considering the Global crisis underway. To be able to develop and roll out a production VR system of this quality and price point, under these conditions is outstanding and shows the wealth of support Facebook brings to the table for Oculus.

All that said the QA side of Oculus has never really gotten into gear (see the previous list of issues just with Quest-1) - we know they have had serious exec replacement but still this is a big miss. But I am sure it will not impact the overall roll out, once addressed and refunds are circulated.  

2xan55713klf.png
    edited October 24
    @kevinw729 what VR companies have ever had perfect QC?  Pretty easy answer = none.  Probably the best I've experienced so far is with Vive (QC that is, not including poor inside-out Cosmos tracking tech, lol!).  My Vive Pro headset is flawless and it's 2.0 base stations/controllers are a work of art and work perfectly (but still not as nice to use as Oculus touch controllers of course). 

The main thing I like about Vive 2.0 gear is that even though they have to buy it from Valve (Vive is only licensed to manufacture 1.0 base stations/controllers which is why the Vive Cosmos Elite combo only includes these) they do their own QC before accepting them.  So there is at least another level of QC.  I think that this is why my Vive 2.0 base stations are always quiet as a mouse  and why quite a few Index 2.0 base stations are reported to squeal and squeak.

Having said all that, I agree that it's pretty amazing that Oculus/FB has been able to pull off a high volume Quest 2 launch as successfully as they have with all the global  c.virus issues.  So far the QC on my Q2 seems fine.  It's no Vive Pro wireless but heh, just the Vive Pro wireless adapter cost me more than my Q2, lol!

TomCgcmfc said:
    @kevinw729 what VR companies have ever had perfect QC?  Pretty easy answer = none. 

And as you can see, I made a point not to claim that they were any different to the rest of the sector. I would actually go father and say that their roll out of hardware is usually in the 80% scale of reliability, compared to the rest that are in the low 70%, (not including peripheral however).

I think you may have missed my point that Quality Assurance - rather than Quality Control was an issue that the company had worked long and hard to address and still found it difficult. I would also say the "neutral" method of communicating with the community has meant they have had to look too "fire fighting" than "fire prevention", leading to these own goals.

One issue about Sony is their QA structure, and how they have a tired QC approach to fabrication, deployment and returns. While Oculus still utilizes the "ticket" scheme for customer complaint - Sony have deployed a different model that allows them to track issues as they emerge - rather than fight with the customer till they are forced to give in! I think the way the "Oculus fail cable" or the "CV1 Red screen of death" problems were handled internally are perfect examples of the hazards of this approach.

But as I already said, and you concurred, the Quest-2 has been an amazing launch. Now to address their internal and external marketing optics and they can hope to achieve that incredible sales goal they have set themselves.
    2xan55713klf.png
    kevinw729 said:
    Quality Assurance - rather than Quality Control was an issue that the company had worked long and hard to address and still found it difficult. 

This is backwards actually.
    • Quality Assurance addresses external standards and guidelines, such as EU policies.
    • Quality Control addresses internal standards, such as making sure products are durable.
    The elite strap issue shows a problem with Oculus QC, not QA. 

edited October 25
    Here is a version that wont break, as HTC did their Quality Assurance on their product range:

2xan55713klf.png
    Ya Vive does get some things right.  So, is the stuff up with my Cosmos inside-out tracking a QA or QC related problem?  Maybe both, lol!

edited October 25
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Ya Vive does get some things right.  So, is the stuff up with my Cosmos inside-out tracking a QA or QC related problem?  Maybe both, lol!

Yeah, it's common for people who don't work in the industry to get QA and QC confused. I've worked in this field for many years, and QC is what helps ensure something won't "break." 

The whole idea is that, when you're building something, you use QA standards/guidelines to produce a product with the best quality possible. But when you build it, how do you know that you actually succeeded? That's where QC comes in to play.

In this case, Oculus engaged in QA just fine, as they produced a fully functional elite strap. But what they failed to do is send it through QC processes that would have determined if the strap would break. It's a bit of common sense really... since all the "breaking" is happening post-production. That's sort of your clue that this is a QC problem, not a QA problem. QA comes at the time of building something, whereas QC comes after it is built.

QC activities monitor and verify that the project deliverables meet the defined quality standards.
    QA makes sure you are doing the right things.
    QC makes sure the results of what you've done are what you expected.

QA is the process to create the deliverables.
    QC is the process to verify that deliverables.
    https://www.softwaretestinghelp.com/quality-assurance-vs-quality-control/

It's very easy to get the terms confused unless you've worked in this field/industry specifically.

The best way to think about is: QA is what goes in to making something, QC is what happens when you make sure that the thing you made doesn't suck. lol

The Cosmos was likely built to a standard, so QA was probably followed just fine. But in order to uncover any defects with the tracking before releasing the Cosmos, it would have needed to go through some QC. All post-production issues are QC failures.
    edited October 25
    TomCgcmfc said:

Yeah your right. But its easy for the mistakes to be made, why Oculus has had to change the department three times. They originally did not have a system (QA) in place to weigh the boxes to ensure component completion.

Its easy to make the mistake - like claiming software testing is the same as hardware fabrication and manufacturing. But its a common armchair mistake to make. 

We had over at the MTBS forum before the Oculus forum was started people claiming to be programmers in the industry. But that problem was rooted out - and its the same for Oculus, depending on those that are "doing" rather than "talk" about it. 
    2xan55713klf.png