New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Which headset should i buy?

MariusandMariusand Posts: 1
NerveGear
U would like to get your recommendation on which product I should buy. I am considering the Oculus Rift S and the Oculus Quest 2. I have a high-end gaming pc at home already, so that's not a problem. I am also not really interested in the portability because I will play in my home no matter what. 
Tagged:

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,051 Valuable Player
    Depends on how much money you have going spare to be honest. The best headset available right now is the Valve Index, but it's £919 and you have to mount Lighthouse stations for the tracking.

Then you have the HP G2, but that hasn't been released yet so we don't really know how good or bad it is with regards to tracking. It DOES have a higher resolution, 2160 x 2160 per eye and it has inside out tracking (meaning it uses cameras on the headset instead of requiring you to mount the Lighthouses or Sensors on your ceiling that the Index and the OG Rift use respectively). The HP G2 is over £600.

And of course you have the Rift S and Quest 2 as you've already mentioned. For my money the Quest 2 is the best option even if you don't want or need  standalone gaming, but the standalone gaming would be a godsend on long flights or train journeys so you might want to keep that in mind. The Quest 2 is £299 so you can buy games with the money you save by not getting the Index, saving £620, or the HP G2, saving £340.

And the Quest 2 gives you the option if you change your mind about getting a standalone headset. If after you've bought the Rift S, Index or G2 you decide that a standalone headset would be useful for you, you'd need to spend extra money to get one. With the Quest 2 you can play both PC VR and standalone games.

So basically if you're not worried about how much to spend and don't want to spend the money saved (by buying another headset) on games then get a Valve Index. Otherwise go for a Quest 2, that £620/£340 will buy you A LOT of games.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever