New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

ZZap! 64 2021 Annual

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 7,048 Valuable Player
edited October 30 in Off-Topic
Project image for ZZap 64 2021 Annual

I just backed this - it's my entire childhood  o:)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zzap642021annual/zzap-64-2021-annual?ref=ksr_email_backer_backer_confirmation

Got the mug  B)

Thinking back, there was something special about Commodore 64. Of course we've got VR today, but can't really compete with true CBM64 diamonds. Or maybe we were just easier to impress in the old days - loved the demo scene too. To this day I wouldn't argue if someone claimed that Rob Hubbard was better than Mozart  ;)

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 7,048 Valuable Player
    edited October 30

Sanxion Commodore 64 Front Cover

So far no one gets Delta right - but this isn't bad:

Delta Patrol Commodore 64 Front Cover

Monty on the Run Commodore 64 Front Cover  Retro gaming art Retro video  games Retro gaming

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• synchromesh62synchromesh62 Posts: 407
    Trinity
    I backed and got last years.
    Top quality books for sure. 
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,803 Valuable Player
    Kickstarter has been on fire during the pandemic! Great stuff.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Trinity
    It makes a nice change to read about something here that ...
    A ... Does not need a Facebook account.
    B ... Has not snapped.
    C ... No need to wait for Oculus Support.
    D ... Its gonna work perfectly out of the box.
    :)

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,492 Valuable Player
    Never heard of this.  Is this an American thing only?
    Trinity
    Digikid1 said:
    Sinner !! 
    Thou should be cast out ..
    Sounds like a Spectrum user.. 

edited October 30
    No seriously I have never ever EVER heard of this thing before.  I loved to make Qbasic programs for the C64.

Good times...
    Trinity
    Digikid1 said:
    No seriously I have never ever EVER heard of this thing before.  I loved to make Qbasic programs for the C64.

Good times...
    It was pretty much the top Magazine for the C64 game reviews back in the day but granted it was printed in the UK so i have no clue where you are. Reliable reviews, awesome demo cassettes ( which people will pay good money for )  and the fantastic cover artwork became legend.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,051 Valuable Player
    Pah! The Sinclair Speccy 48K was MILES better. All the best people owned one back in the 80s. B)

Sinclair User was my gaming magazine of choice in those days!
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited October 31
    Digikid1 said:
    Zzap! 64 is as British as Elizabeth II, more here::

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zzap!64

http://www.zzap64.co.uk/

Yeah, the graphics in my CBM64 games looked exactly like these cover illustrations, at least in my mind  :D 

Trinity
    RuneSR2 said:

Yeah, the graphics in my CBM64 games looked exactly like these cover illustrations, at least in my mind  :D 
    That is so true !!
    I was exactly the same in fact made the comment when Elite Dangerous was released that it now looks like how i was seeing it in my head.

edited October 31
    RuneSR2 said:

That is so true !!
    I was exactly the same in fact made the comment when Elite Dangerous was released that it now looks like how i was seeing it in my head.

Lol - I was thinking exactly the same when I saw that cover - now using CV1 35 years later, Elite finally looks like the Zzap! 64 cover  <3  :D

ZX Speccy!? :#  Sounds like some infectious buzzing insect that needs to be effectively dealt with!  B)

Amazoncom Smart Swatter Fly Swatters  Assorted Color 2 Pack  Picks UP  The Bug w 904 Spikes  Patented  Made in The USA  Insects Bugs and Fly  Killer Garden  Outdoor

Unfortunately I'm still looking for a game that plays and looks like this cover - not even Alyx is close - maybe Stormland does get close - slightly-ish...

Digikid1 said:

Good times...
    It was pretty much the top Magazine for the C64 game reviews back in the day but granted it was printed in the UK so i have no clue where you are. Reliable reviews, awesome demo cassettes ( which people will pay good money for )  and the fantastic cover artwork became legend.

• saami81saami81 Posts: 347
    Trinity
    Still to this day me and my friend play some c64 when drinking beer at my house. Games are usually summer games, winter games, giana sisters and buggy boy. It was in eighties when we first met as kids, so its kinda long tradition now.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,870 Valuable Player
    Wow - I use to write a bit for ZZAP mag back in the day - knew Jason and the team. And visited the Leister offices once to meet the editor/publisher. The cover artists were great, and under sung - glad to see them get the recognition. CRASH was also another great periodical in the early days along with CVG the first mag to publish a review by me. 
    2xan55713klf.png
    https://vrawards.aixr.org/
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • TadinTadin Posts: 336
    Trinity
    Pretty sure it was an April edition of CVG that had me typing a ton of Assembly language code into my BBC Micro to make the TV act as a touch screen, unsuprisingly it just printed April Fool to the screen .... :-)
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,870 Valuable Player
    Tadin said:
    Pretty sure it was an April edition of CVG that had me typing a ton of Assembly language code into my BBC Micro to make the TV act as a touch screen, unsuprisingly it just printed April Fool to the screen .... :-)

That little joke was a major blackeye for the publication. Oh, for those that did not know CVG stood for Computer & Video Games. Did you also use the Prestel downloads? The cover mounted cassettes were always really popular. 
    2xan55713klf.png
    https://vrawards.aixr.org/
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959