New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

New and upcoming potentially great PCVR games 2020-2021

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 7,124 Valuable Player
edited November 7 in Games and Apps
This thread is dedicated to games not previously discussed in this forum (sorry if I did include some). Just trying to collect a few potentially great upcoming VR games. 

Some titles that caught my attention are:

Despatch - release Nov 13 on Steam - only compatible with Rift

Z-Race - Jan 2021

Tarzan VR

Hinge

Lonn (has been mentioned before in here, but maybe more exposure is warranted for this game)

Frostpoint VR

RYTE - The Eye of Atlantis

Outlaws of the Marsh VR (Vive only - for now)

Pieces of Eight

A Wake Inn (Q1 2021)

Naau: The Lost Eye (release date 2020)

Sword Reverie (spring 2021)

Zenith (2021)

Pistol Whip 2089 (2020)

Hyper Dash (for PCVR 2020)

Ilysia

Green Hell (2021)

Project Wingman (Q1 2021)

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 7,124 Valuable Player
    edited November 14
    Some say Hinge is looking like an AAA-ish VR game, I'm not disagreeing - based on the trailer. The official trailer just arrived - the game is out Nov 27 (2020 ;))

I do hope the game contains npcs - I'm not that fond of beautiful lifeless environments. Hinge is 36GB, thus it's a big one ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

edited November 14
    Despatch is out - but seems no one is going in ;) 

I'll buy and try later today  o:)

Sci-Fi Meets Experimental Escape Room Gameplay

“despatch: Entity Astray” is an outstanding combination of Sci-Fi adventures and experimental Escape Room Games. Impressive AA graphics, detailed environments, futuristic effects and a complex level design make “despatch” a remarkable VR game. Developed and optimized for Virtual Reality, “despatch” creates an immersive VR experience. By completely entering the dystopic situation, players become one with the protagonist’s journey. A strange situation requires every gamer to study the mechanics and to adapt the environment in order to create new escape paths.

The VR game “despatch: Entity Astray” has a complex game design and a perceived multi-level environment. Several solution approaches and environmental storytelling bring refreshing versatility to the gaming experience. The execution of every solution approach and additional decryption of the hidden meta story offer various play-throughs. Replay Value: Strongly recommended!

[...]

Immerse yourself into an extraordinary Sci-Fi adventure! Imagine waking up in an unknown environment. It’s dark. You have no idea where and who you are. Only a small alarm light flashes somewhere in the room. Something seems off. Why are you there and what is the mission? Discover unknown environments, find out who you are, identify the line between good and evil and help dispatch shape the universe of tomorrow.

Start your VR escape room game adventure now and bring light into the unknown darkness. But this is just the beginning. The beginning of something bigger. This is the beginning of an infinite adventure of galactic scale. The future starts now! Be despatch and witness the beginning of a brand-new Sci-Fi VR game adventure!

Source: https://despatch-universe.com/about/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1451360/despatch_Entity_Astray/

BTW, it's no longer a Rift only game - it also supports Index, but my spider sense tingles thinking about using lcd in a very dark game that looks like made for oled (CV1) - lcd often feels like taking a knife to a gunfight  :D  

RuneSR2 said:

It's not a bad game, but gpu demanding (=lacks optimization). As suspected the game supports native Oculus drivers - I furthermore suspect that this game was developed using the Rift CV1. It's so dark you can notice the spud, but not so dark that the spud is easily seen and annoying - thus devs seem to have found a nice balance between darkness and spud, lol. Not sure I'll bother checking this game with a lcd hmd, I believe this game profits a lot from oled.

Graphics settings are either medium, high, epic or ultra. Using CV1 ss 2.0, Ultra might require a RTX 3080 or similar for 90 fps. I chose High, and that's fine thanks to my great buddy, Mr. ASW 2.0  B) I get 90 fps from time to time with those settings. 

The game seems to have an interesting story - not sure what it's about yet - but reminds me a lot of Red Matter without any Russian themes, lol. Graphics did remind me of Lone Echo, but it's still slightly below Lone Echo quality. Devs said graphics were AA quality - I might not necessarily disagree - and that's judging using High settings (and ss 2.0, which might be a lot more demanding than Ultra + ss 1.5). Lighting and shadows are great. 

Controls are a problem, there's only snap turning and controller directed movements - thus no hmd directed movement. You do get full locomotion though - but no choice for left or right handedness. Feels old school and like made by devs who have been sleeping for the last 2 or 3 years - and thus have no idea of how modern VR controls should be. 

For the price this is a nice experience, although controls need more polish. I've only tested using CV1 and Touch - might be much worse using a lcd hmd and non-Touch controllers, because I'm convinced this game was made for the Rift. 

edited November 17
    I guess everyone is getting ready  B)Because it's happening today!  <3:o  

nyle dimarco disney GIF by ABC Network

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1112100/Tarzan_VR__Issue_1__The_Great_Ape/

Btw, just watched the above video - and what HMD is preferred by Tarzan (missing a liana vine could mean death, better get perfect tracking! ;)

Index 1

Index 2

Index 3

Index 4

Index 5

Yup - it's confirmed, Tarzan only uses the Valve Index!  B) (Btw, all devs in the video used the Index, I did not just include the Index pics.) 

edited November 19
    PD is on the spot, he does do a nice job showing the game:

Although many textures are very low-res, there are also many nice/great textures, but none even remotely close to Alyx. Still the game looks great - and I like being able to just explore.
    Did go into the water and it suddenly got deep - and in my mind I started hearing music from Jaws, and I was very quick to get out of the water :blush:
    Performance and image quality are great with the Index - 4xMSAA, render scale 1.0 and all other settings maxed make the game look close to the best it can. Will need a 3080 to use render scale 1.5, but MSAA seems most important to reduce jaggies. 

Btw, Tarzan VR supports native Oculus drivers. I think I prefer the Index to CV1 ss 2.0, even if the many low-res textures do improve with CV1 SDE - but the great textures look a lot better using the Index. Also Index fov is much bigger and increases presence. 

edited November 19
    Hmmm, still haven't found a solution to the potential shark problem in Tarzan. I even offered my 12 year old son some coins for swimming out and fetching a few boxes - but he refused  :s Also mentioned he could pick up one small kitchen knife in case a great white wants him for lunch  o:)  

Thus the water in Tarzan VR really looks amazing:

- but it may contain a little too rich animal life for my taste, even if cell-shaded!

- not sure meeting a large 8-legged Jumping Jack on land is much better though...  :#  

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 2,359 Valuable Player
    edited November 20
    Nice list. Will definitely check out some of these. Already had Green Hell, Hinge, and LONN and a few others on my wish list. I'll have to check out the Tarzan game.

Here's a couple off top of my head that I'm looking forward to that are due soon also.

N1NE: The Splintered Mind

Blunt Force

Soulkeeper Chronicles. (It's the remnants of The Soulkeeper which was scrapped in favor of this. This one will also release on monitors)

Devs have been working on this game a lot as well, reworked physics and such based on Alpha feed back. They say it will release first half 2021.

This has my eye, made by the developers of Form (one of my favorite VR games period) and Twilight Path.

N1NE is looking good, and never heard of Trial by Teng before, does look interesting.

Btw, Tarzan VR is a very simple game, I consider it close to an arcade beat'em up like Double Dragon, lol. It's fun in smaller potions, but can easily get repetitive. This review might be spot on - 3/5:

https://www.vrfocus.com/2020/11/review-tarzan-vr/

edited November 21
    RuneSR2 said:
    Despatch is out - but seems no one is going in ;) 

I'll buy and try later today  o:)

Sci-Fi Meets Experimental Escape Room Gameplay

“despatch: Entity Astray” is an outstanding combination of Sci-Fi adventures and experimental Escape Room Games. Impressive AA graphics, detailed environments, futuristic effects and a complex level design make “despatch” a remarkable VR game. Developed and optimized for Virtual Reality, “despatch” creates an immersive VR experience. By completely entering the dystopic situation, players become one with the protagonist’s journey. A strange situation requires every gamer to study the mechanics and to adapt the environment in order to create new escape paths.

The VR game “despatch: Entity Astray” has a complex game design and a perceived multi-level environment. Several solution approaches and environmental storytelling bring refreshing versatility to the gaming experience. The execution of every solution approach and additional decryption of the hidden meta story offer various play-throughs. Replay Value: Strongly recommended!

[...]

Immerse yourself into an extraordinary Sci-Fi adventure! Imagine waking up in an unknown environment. It’s dark. You have no idea where and who you are. Only a small alarm light flashes somewhere in the room. Something seems off. Why are you there and what is the mission? Discover unknown environments, find out who you are, identify the line between good and evil and help dispatch shape the universe of tomorrow.

Start your VR escape room game adventure now and bring light into the unknown darkness. But this is just the beginning. The beginning of something bigger. This is the beginning of an infinite adventure of galactic scale. The future starts now! Be despatch and witness the beginning of a brand-new Sci-Fi VR game adventure!

Source: https://despatch-universe.com/about/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1451360/despatch_Entity_Astray/

BTW, it's no longer a Rift only game - it also supports Index, but my spider sense tingles thinking about using lcd in a very dark game that looks like made for oled (CV1) - lcd often feels like taking a knife to a gunfight  :D  

Despatch just got a major update - the game is becoming rather good and it's cheap:

Remember that the game supports native Oculus drivers - works perfectly from Oculus Home using my Rift. 

Even if it's a very dark game, it actually looked surprising great with the Valve Index. 

edited November 22
    RYTE - The Eye of Atlantis (see the first post in this thread) just got a new trailer:

Ok, I just got a new reason to live  :D If this game gets just half as good as it looks, I now see a perfect reason to upgrade my video card - but let's see how it goes after the game has arrived  o:)

edited November 24
    New game from the makers of A Fisherman's Tale - coming Spring 2021:

More about the game here:

RuneSR2 said:
    Some say Hinge is looking like an AAA-ish VR game, I'm not disagreeing - based on the trailer. The official trailer just arrived - the game is out Nov 27 (2020 ;))

I do hope the game contains npcs - I'm not that fond of beautiful lifeless environments. Hinge is 36GB, thus it's a big one ;)

Hinge is out, I just bought it - it's on sale the next week or so:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1429640/HINGE_Episode_1/

edited November 28
    Unfortunately I have to warn about Hinge - it's not at all finished software and totally feels like unoptimized alpha software. 

I even got severe latency on hand movements, never tried that before!

Thus avoid - unless you have a 3090, lol. 

Really sad or just plain stupid to release the game in this state. Now it's dead in the water, bad reviews will accumulate - and many may never give the game a second chance. I've already refunded. 

The trailer looked so good - take home message: never trust a trailer, sigh.

RuneSR2 said:
    Unfortunately I have to warn about Hinge - it's not at all finished software and totally feels like unoptimized alpha software. 

I even got severe latency on hand movements, never tried that before!

Thus avoid - unless you have a 3090, lol. 

Really sad or just plain stupid to release the game in this state. Now it's dead in the water, bad reviews will accumulate - and many may never give the game a second chance. I've already refunded. 

The trailer looked so good - take home message: never trust a trailer, sigh.
    Hinge is noew accumulating very bad reviews - even 3080 users can't get more than 65 fps at best - and there're are severe problems beyond performance. The devs asked for feedback - mine was:

My best advice is to remove the game from Steam immediately - right now the game is not in a state ready to be launched. You cannot patch this up in a week or two - you might need at least 6 to 12 months to optimize this game.

Bad reviews will totally kill this game and your ability to profit from it. And I'm sure you have invested countless of hours in this game.

It looks like an awesome concept, and maybe you're in a situation where you need to launch the game, but if possible, I'd advice to remove the game from Steam and relaunch when you're sure performance is acceptable and you've had time to test the game with the most popular hmds and controllers.

- and do not use anything but GTX 1060 cards or close for SteamVR res 100%, when developing the game - and I'm not joking (at least using lowest settings, GTX 1060 6GB should get solid 90 fps).This will make sure you get great performance for all users, and high-end users can then super sample as much as possible.

Btw, this video gives a nice impression of Hinge - that's how I experienced it too. It's playable, but performance is very poor - and takes the fun away:

UploadVR also concluded that the game simply isn't ready:

https://uploadvr.com/hinge-vr-impressions/

UploadVR tries to be nice, and do mention that they use a demo version - but the final version is about 1 day newer and seems to have the same extremely poor performance. 

Using RTX 3080:

I am a huge fan of horror VR and nice volumetric lighting, so I was very very excited for this. I'm running a RTX 3080 and spent about an hour playing through the game and fiddling with in-game graphics and super-sampling settings.

The bad -- It was only somewhat playable, very uncomfortable and jittery. Monitoring with FPSVR, I was averaging around 65 FPS at best, but it somehow felt much worse than that. The GPU was completely bottlenecked, CPU was only at 40% usage. I tested on an HP Reverb G2 and a Quest2 via Virtual Desktop, so lower-res headsets may fare better. Lowering the SteamVR render resolution helped a little bit, but I didn't want to cripple the visuals too much, because... that's what we're here for. I switched to Half-Life Alyx afterwards just to make sure I wasn't going crazy, and the instant buttery smooth 90 FPS with ultra settings was a huge relief, like night and day. If you're hoping Hinge will play as buttery smooth as it looks in the trailer videos, proceed with caution... G2 owners especially. I really wish every VR dev could just license and use Source2, because there doesn't seem to be a single VR game that can match Alyx not only for visual quality, but also reliably smooth comfort and response.

Similar to other reviews, I got stuck and a bit confused a few times, walking around in circles not realizing that there was an inanimate object on the ground I was supposed to be noticing. I also agree that the intense "seizure" effect every couple minutes gets old real fast.

The good -- If this game can get optimized to run significantly smoother, it WILL be a really cool and intriguing horror experience. The art design, architecture, and lovecraftian hellscape are all very cool and highly impressive, and it pains me that all of this creative talent is hindered by a jittery engine. Getting followed by the statues was quite unnerving. The use of real volumetric lighting in VR was really exciting as I don't think we've seen much of that yet, if at all, and that might be the Achilles' heel that's killing the performance, i don't know... it looks amazing though, despite the crippled framerate. Again -- this is on RTX 3080.

Conclusion -- I returned it. But, I will definitely buy again if the performance issues get sorted.

• Stinger0625Stinger0625 Posts: 10
    Brain Burst
    So will we finally see Lone Echo 2?
    Next year, probably. Really hope the devs aren't destroying the game by dumbing it down to Quest levels as I write this... 

Project Wingman arrived surprisingly early, wasn't expecting that game before Q1 2021. Reviews also seem surprisingly awesome:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/895870/Project_Wingman/

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 3,100 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    Project Wingman arrived surprisingly early, wasn't expecting that game before Q1 2021. Reviews also seem surprisingly awesome:

Does not seem to be VR optimized quite yet.  Probably needs a few updates to improve this, plus better flight stick mapping for us simmers.  Looks like it has lots of potential though.

Early release might be a cash-grab thing.  Hope not because this usually backfires when many new users refund, then never go back later.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest 1 w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

TomCgcmfc said:
    RuneSR2 said:

Does not seem to be VR optimized quite yet.  Probably needs a few updates to improve this, plus better flight stick mapping for us simmers.  Looks like it has lots of potential though.

Early release might be a cash-grab thing.  Hope not because this usually backfires when many new users refund, then never go back later.
    Did you try it - they say it's not really a sim, maybe more like Squadrons - I'm considering buying it, but I vote for you trying it first!  o:)  :D

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,779 Valuable Player

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,370 Valuable Player
    edited 11:44AM
    Project Wingman is like Ace Combat and pretty decent but don't expect a sim like experience.  No one has mentioned Sniper Elite VR yet? Coming next year I assume.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/752480/Sniper_Elite_VR/

Low-fi current build is picking up in terms of being in a Cyberpunk environment. It's really coming together now and if you liked AirCAR, in its current state is better than that as you can land and get out and enter various buildings on foot.

Lonn looks great (had my eye on that a while now). 

MOH in some ways just looks really janky for a AA game, but I know Respawn have put a lot of effort in.

Pirates VR is a linear gameplay in virtual reality

:( 

System Specs: ASUS NVIDIA RTX 3090 TUF GAMING OC 24GB , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,370 Valuable Player
    Just to add, if you're not a simmer then Project Wingman is very good. Some great combat moments in the rogue-lite conquest mode. The dynamic weather is brilliant. 

System Specs: ASUS NVIDIA RTX 3090 TUF GAMING OC 24GB , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Just to add, if you're not a simmer then Project Wingman is very good. Some great combat moments in the rogue-lite conquest mode. The dynamic weather is brilliant. 
    Nice, I'll give it a try this weekend.

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,501 Valuable Player
    Heck I am still waiting for Lone Echo 2.
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 2,359 Valuable Player
    Well since we're just posting everything interesting that's coming out now, I'll add more. I didn't list Low-Fi or MoH because they're pretty well known. I also have some reservations about both. Low-Fi I'm curious if the gameplay loop will be satisfying. From what I've seen of the trailers there isn't much going on. And yea, MoH looks janky in some shots. We shall see.

Another Warhammer VR Game is coming -

Of course there's Firmament which I kickstarted and being made by the legendary Cyan Worlds

And of course speaking of Cyan Worlds, us old folks will love this -

Kind of an Arizona Sunshine spiritual successor -

I'm still waiting to hear more on Microprose's VR game the Mighty Eighth. Will be able to coop bombers and do missions.

This game I've been following for awhile as I love Mech Games. It's in Alpha now, could be interesting. Textures are on the lower quality side but maybe they'll polish them up before release.

Also been following this forever, seems to be getting closer to some form of release

Then there's this game.