New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

very large fov test pattern on youtube, mrtv was wrong

hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 1,048
Neo
edited November 18 in General

https://youtu.be/wNu8P2ZR86A

open the video with virtual desktop youtube player in vr.

the picture fov measurements:
145.0176678 degrees horizontal, 1 to 28
81.5724381375 degrees vertical, a to m

i see MRTV state the vertical fov to be quite large over 100 for a few vr headsets and would like you to test to see if you actually see the vertical in one straight up and down line, from a to m in the same number line. if not then idk y not its only 81 + degrees fov. :)

fyi in my oculus rift cv1, i can see a to h vertically,
and f1 to f10 horizontally

its been reported that the fov of the rift cv1 is 86 degree horizontal, 104 degrees vertical on the cv1, but then i would see from a to m, i only see from a to h so its a lot less than 81 degrees vertical fov.

mrtv was wrong about the cv1 vertical fov, at least for me. look at 3:30 in the video below to see him say the rift cv1 vertical fov is 104:

Comments

• hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 1,048
    Neo
    edited November 19
    i realized that i made a mistake with measuring the height. i took the 16:9 aspect ratio of the image inside the containing image width and height to guess the height, when the inside image height was a part of the containing image.

so, for having the same picture in the front and in the back, the picture height is doubled to have the total 360 degree height.

then i took the white image inside and measured how high the inside white image was by measuring how many white boxes i could stack inside the two black box containers, and its just shy of 5 times.

360/5 = 72, so my white image is between 72 and 81 but closer to 72 vertical degrees.

so assuming i was correct at 81 then thats still a far cry from the 104 mrtv says the rift cv1 has.

Neo
    edited November 19
    nvm
    Neo
    the person sees different fov, yes, but, i seeing less that 70 something degrees vertical and someone else (MRTV) seeing 104 degrees, that's how big of a difference? 30 degrees roughly.

enough to say 1 person sees 30 degrees (around 30 degrees) different from somebody else? i don't think so.
    but if you think so then how.

show the logic how 1 person sees 30 degrees (around 30 degrees) different from someone else and they're both adult men.

and i don't even see the entire 70 something degrees, 2/3 or so. thats what 50 degrees thereabouts. making the argument two people see 50 degrees vertically (about 50 degrees) different through vr headset preposterous.
  • Shilly-ShallyShilly-Shally Posts: 17
    Brain Burst
    It really depends on how close you are to the lenses. Their are many videos on yt now that show how to mod the G1 and other VR devices to get a lot closer to the lenses and increase FoV.