New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Best Non-Gaming Laptop for VR?

lzhangpinlzhangpin Posts: 4
NerveGear

I need a new laptop for work and my previous Alienware 17R4 (I think that's the model... maybe R3) is getting pretty old, something like 4 years old. Thus, I can justify the purchase for double duty.

Any advice about the best VR-ready laptop that is not labeled as a gaming laptop? Budget of up to $3k or so.

After this stupid pandemic is over, I would have to bring it to meetings, so flashy "Alienware" or whatever is discouraged. High reliability is very very very important. Ideally 15" and somewhat portable.

Right now I've got a Rift and a Quest. Will eventually upgrade to the new Quest.

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 3,073 Valuable Player
    I'd say go for an Alienware m15 R3 laptop with highest specs you can afford.  Like me (3yo 17r4) you already know that Alienware laptops are pretty bulletproof.  The 15in should be a little easier to cart around.  For the best VR nothing beats a good desktop gaming pc though imho.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest 1 w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).