New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Free Asgard's Wrath *for all Oculus Quest 2 owners

pcdriverspcdrivers Posts: 6
NerveGear
edited November 24 in General
It seems incredible to me that they are only giving the game to new headsets connected to Oculus Link and not to all headsets.

Comments

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 6,363 Volunteer Moderator
    I don't think it's the first time that game was offered for free... I believe it was given to Rift-S purchasers for a limited time around last Christmas. Pretty standard stuff really to boost sales of a particular headset during launch or at this time of year.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19042.572)
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 1,090
    Wintermute
    Oh well, sucks to be a Q2 owner from 5 weeks ago. lol
    edited November 20
    Yeah I missed out on the Rift-S offer too... I've had a couple money off codes over the last year or two and I forget to use them before they expire, am a bit useless really.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19042.572)
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,347 Valuable Player
    Ooof. Picked up my Q2 a week ago and hooked up my link cable last night .
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • Sparh4wkSparh4wk Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    same have my quest 2 for a week now.. this is bullshit..
    Would have been nice if they did what valve did with HLA and the index... But that said they are under no obligation.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • skeedlyskeedly Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited November 20
    The release of the Quest 2 has to have been the ugliest series of events I've ever witnessed which is a shame because it all seems to stem from lazy decision making and general negligence.  First Facebook is like, "Hey, let's make an innovative and affordable VR headset but give it a strap that doesn't follow the results of years of past VR headset research and use lesser materials that rub off on their skin and break!"

The recall on the faulty accessories that are essential to make the base model even remotely enjoyable to use has left my Quest 2 to collect dust as I wait for the Elite Strap that I ordered in September.  But as if putting all of the people who originally supported the device through this myriad of mistakes and disappointment wasn't enough, now they're telling us that all NEW Quest 2 users are getting a free game and we're excluded.  That's basically like saying, "I know we messed up but don't worry, we're going to make it up to everyone else other than you!"

I'm not entirely upset about the whole matter I just wish they would stop and take a second to really consider what they're doing.
  • pcdriverspcdrivers Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    skeedly said:
    The release of the Quest 2 has to have been the ugliest series of events I've ever witnessed which is a shame because it all seems to stem from lazy decision making and general negligence.  First Facebook is like, "Hey, let's make an innovative and affordable VR headset but give it a strap that doesn't follow the results of years of past VR headset research and use lesser materials that rub off on their skin and break!"

The recall on the faulty accessories that are essential to make the base model even remotely enjoyable to use has left my Quest 2 to collect dust as I wait for the Elite Strap that I ordered in September.  But as if putting all of the people who originally supported the device through this myriad of mistakes and disappointment wasn't enough, now they're telling us that all NEW Quest 2 users are getting a free game and we're excluded.  That's basically like saying, "I know we messed up but don't worry, we're going to make it up to everyone else other than you!"

I'm not entirely upset about the whole matter I just wish they would stop and take a second to really consider what they're doing.
    Buy Chinese Strap xD

Search it on @accesorios_vr on Telegram
  • jonstonejonstone Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I am seriously unimpressed

As a launch day buyer I got the use of Link in beta which was substandard, then when they finally get the link working as it should have done from launch they give new buyers a free game to celebrate, but not the early adopters. Wouldn't help me much as I have already bought Asgards Wrath, but it is no way to treat your customers
  • pcdriverspcdrivers Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    jonstone said:
    I am seriously unimpressed

As a launch day buyer I got the use of Link in beta which was substandard, then when they finally get the link working as it should have done from launch they give new buyers a free game to celebrate, but not the early adopters. Wouldn't help me much as I have already bought Asgards Wrath, but it is no way to treat your customers
    It will definitely make me buy most of the games on Steam.
  • jjknapjjknap Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same here.  Bought on launch day direct from Oculus.  Not a good way to treat the customer.
  • Sirius3DSirius3D Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    My Oculus are just 4-5 days old, and I guess I'm missing this gift. However, in my Ouclus account via website the device is not listed, but yes in the app. Could I get the game in any way?
  • vududemanvududeman Posts: 36
    Brain Burst
    edited November 20
    Updated with link information in post below.
  • Jmart6Jmart6 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I registered my Quest 2 yesterday :( 
  • vududemanvududeman Posts: 36
    Brain Burst
    Looks like the full details here, does look like activating 11/20 and after and need to follow the directions to use the link cable  https://www.oculus.com/blog/were-celebrating-links-birthday-by-giving-away-asgards-wrath-to-new-quest-2-buyers/

• kayadmtkayadmt Posts: 5
    Brain Burst
    The fact that the Quest 2 has only been out a few months, and that new buyers get Asgard's Wrath for free....but not the people who just got one, is a kick in the teeth.  It is just a bs line to draw in the sand and say new people get something and literal days older buyers don't.

This needs to be changed.  Give everyone from day of release to January 31st 2021 the game, not just between now and Jan 31st.

Don't be that company.
  • jay.ogle.9250jay.ogle.9250 Posts: 17
    Brain Burst
    Agree, there should be something for early purchasers. We just bought on faith that it would be worthwhile before we knew anything, really. I will remember this next time......Early bird gets the Germ! Thanks a lot, nice way to reward the faithful!
  • rtathegawd84rtathegawd84 Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    It seems to be becoming a pattern with the quest 2! F.B login needed, elite strap issues/recall, now this.. lots of bad ideas keep getting made that will end up affecting the brands image. I know the Q2 was cheap but oculus/FB aren't making good decisions for the customer base so I hope they start listening and use better judgment.

Personally I'm not that bothered myself as I have plenty of V.R games on steam but for someone else who's just got a quest 2 a few days ago before this or even at launch two months ago and is new to VR or the platform it does seem very unfair!!

• LameDuckWarriorLameDuckWarrior Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    Completely agree.
  • TwrchTrwyddTwrchTrwydd Posts: 35
    Brain Burst
    edited November 21
    maybe you just have to ask for it :-)
    I had the same situation last year when I purchased my Quest-1 on Nov 17th 2019 and then found out that for purchases beginning with Nov 21st 2019 the Vader Immortal Trilogy was bundled for free.
    So I contacted Oculus support (in December), had a nice chat with them and received he bundle for free :smiley:
  • Capalicious42Capalicious42 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I've had a Quest 2 for just under two months now, and this is a cheap move. Very much feels like, "We have your money already, so suck it." It's very much like Verizon and how the best offers only go to new customers. 
  • trek554trek554 Posts: 105
    Art3mis
     Promos pop up all the time for various things and sometimes you are lucky and other times you miss out. 
    Win 10 Pro | i9 9900KF | MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC | MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio | G.SKILL 32GB DDR4 3200 CL14 | Samsung Evo 860 4TB SSD | Cooler Master CM500 | EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750 watt | Sound Blaster Zx
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 7,100 Valuable Player
    edited November 22
    kayadmt said:
    The fact that the Quest 2 has only been out a few months, and that new buyers get Asgard's Wrath for free....but not the people who just got one, is a kick in the teeth.  It is just a bs line to draw in the sand and say new people get something and literal days older buyers don't.

This needs to be changed.  Give everyone from day of release to January 31st 2021 the game, not just between now and Jan 31st.

Don't be that company.

I spent more than $2000 in the Oculus Store - I should get my $40 back too - I pre-ordered more than 1 year ago  :D

Then again, support the devs - $40 for Asgard's Wrath is an extremely small price to pay for maybe the best computer game ever made by humans (ok, maybe Alyx gets that award, but Asgard's Wrath is RPG and longer). 

Should cheapskates only paying $300 for their hmd really get a $40 game for free - but fine if Oculus insists on giving away the crown jewels for free, sigh. 

Giving away Asgard's Wrath is a massive PCVR platform push, thus it may be completely unrelated to early Quest 2 adopters. Thus Oculus is trying to push more new Quest 2 owners toward PCVR - and thus these tactics do not necessarily apply to previous Quest 2 owners where many may have bought Quest 2 only to play Quest standalone games. 2c.   
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 1,090
    Wintermute
    kayadmt said:

Don't be that company.

The Q2 has only been out 5 weeks, not a few months, just to add salt to the wound. lol
    edited November 23
    I've merged the 2 threads on this as there was one created just a couple days ago.

Can I request that users please do a quick search and add comments to existing threads before creating a new one, thanks.
  • bfentybfenty Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hopping on here to say that this is total BS. I literally bought my quest 2 days before and of course immediately connected using that overpriced link cable rather than waiting. This feels like a giant 'F YOU' to people who just bought the system. Poor way to handle it, for sure, especially for new people who don't have a good library of games to play, could be a great way to get you hyped for more.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,053 Valuable Player
    edited November 23
    I think people should just think about the numbers before they start clutching their pearls. Before they announced this offer I'd say that it would be a very safe bet that Oculus/Facebook would have sold over a million of these things. So they've basically just given away £40,000,000 worth of games plus £40 times however many other people bought one of these headsets since the offer started. :o

I can see them selling another million by the time the offer ends on 31st January next year. So (if they had this offer for EVERYONE that bought a Quest 2 since it started) they'll be looking at giving away £80,000,000 worth of games.

That's a BIG chunk of change.

Edited to take away the extra three zeros I put in cos I can't add up lol
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Hi.
    I am reading on another forum that Oculus have just announced Asgards wrath is now available to all quest 2 owners..... However it's not showing up for me so can't confirm........  Has anyone else seen this?
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 7,100 Valuable Player
    Hi.
    I am reading on another forum that Oculus have just announced Asgards wrath is now available to all quest 2 owners..... However it's not showing up for me so can't confirm........  Has anyone else seen this?
    Yes, it's true:

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,053 Valuable Player
    Hi.

Try restarting your Oculus app, and if that doesn't work try restarting your PC and then try restarting your Oculus app (assuming that it doesn't appear after you reset your PC!). I think I had this problem a while back with something, might have been the games we got for free when we preordered the Touch controllers or something.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever