cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half-Life 2 (official) Rift support

joe
Explorer
We just shipped a beta for Half-Life 2 that includes Oculus Rift support. To get it, open the properties for HL2 in Steam by right-clicking on the name of the game in your library. Set your command line to "-vr", and opt-in to the SteamPipe beta. This should ship to everybody in a few weeks.

Edited to add:
*** NOTE! The Steam Pipe beta shipped in summer of 2013. You don't need to opt into that beta anymore. ***

This port is a bit more raw than TF2 was when it shipped, so we would appreciate hearing about any bugs you find. Just like in TF2 this mode is experimental, so we really want to hear what you think.

A few known issues:

• If you clone your desktop monitor to the Rift it won't work very well. You can work around this by picking full screen in the video options.

All of the convars are the same as they were in TF2 with two additions:
vr_viewmodel_offset_forward - Moves the viewmodel back so the elbows are harder to see and it feels more attached to your body.
vr_viewmodel_offset_forward_large - Same as vr_viewmodel_offset_forward, but for the Gravity Gun.

I find these convars to be useful in the game itself, so consider setting them:
hud_quickinfo 1
hud_fastswitch 2

Edited to add this:

The calibrator isn't up and running in HL2, but you can use the one in TF2 to generate the appropriate values. You should definitely do this to avoid eye strain and make the whole experience more pleasant.

• Run TF2 and calibrate using vr_calibration.

• Look at the vr_separation_user_inches convar and remember what it is set to

• Run HL2 and set that convar to the same value.

• Set vr_separation_toein_pixels to 0 in HL2

You should launch TF2 and run vr_calibration. See what vr_separation_user_inches is set to and set the same
1,137 REPLIES 1,137

cybereality
Grand Champion
Awesome! This is great stuff!!!
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Chaoss
Expert Protege
"cybereality" wrote:

Nice, do you have a link I can download this HL2 mod?
"In the future we will be designing dreams, worlds & experiences rather than games."

Dycus
Honored Guest
It's in Steam; just follow the instructions Joe posted.

mwilcox
Honored Guest
Fantastic, can't wait to try it out. Keep up the good work!

sh0v0r
Protege
"Chaoss" wrote:
"cybereality" wrote:

Nice, do you have a link I can download this HL2 mod?

Read the OP again...

Chaoss
Expert Protege
"Dycus" wrote:
It's in Steam; just follow the instructions Joe posted.

Oh it's actually Valve's doing? that's pretty awesome, I thought someone modded support in. It's really nice to see some of the best games getting Rift Support this early.
"In the future we will be designing dreams, worlds & experiences rather than games."

Karlgamer
Explorer
Simply awesome.

Bacon
Honored Guest
well...so much for any plans I had this weekend... :lol:

drewbdoo
Honored Guest
Out of curiosity, does this include the control schemes seen in TF2? The detached reticle is already my preference for 2d/hydra playing and works so well with the rift as well.