New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Remember Chronos? Well here's Chronos Before the Ashes Gameplay in 2D

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,409 Valuable Player
Remember that lovely Gunfire Games VR game "Chronos" for Oculus CV1. I think most people who played it agreed it was pretty decent and a neat showcase for how third-person games can work well in VR. Gunfire, will release the same game for pancake 2D gamers on consoles and PC next month. If you're interested, here's how it looks on PC using the max settings and 4K resolution. I wonder if you'll get much nostalgia from this?

In my opinion though, despite looking fairly crisp, the 2D version doesn't begin to compare to the VR game. You can still get immersed in this souls-like game on desktop, but I find you lose the sense of scale and just being inside the game VR affords. Either way, don't y'all think it's interesting that a VR game gets the reverse treatment when usually it's the other way around. What's next, an official Half-Life Alyx (yeh I am aware modders made a 2D version) on desktop PC?

System Specs: ASUS NVIDIA RTX 3090 TUF GAMING OC 24GB , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
Tagged:

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,116 Valuable Player
    Aw bugger. I was hoping they were going to release a VR version ☹😭☹
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,409 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    It's the exact same game and I believe Chronos works well with Revive still. 

System Specs: ASUS NVIDIA RTX 3090 TUF GAMING OC 24GB , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 7,414 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    It's the exact same game and I believe Chronos works well with Revive still. 

Chronos works perfectly with Revive - and is of course still available for PCVR in the Oculus Store.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 Evo M.2 SSD 128GB (for OS) + Samsung EVO 860 4TB SSD (for games) + Toshiba P300 High-Performance HDD 3TB (for games); Win10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1, the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0.

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 413
    Trinity
    I have to revisit Chronos VR...haven't tried it yet in Revive...hoping it does work in my system as I do have a few games that won't work in Revive when they should.

I remember reading a while back that Valve decided they won't do a desktop version of Alyx due to certain aspects of the game not being properly doable outside of VR. I guess the modders figured differently...
    i7 8700k @ 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0
    "Presently developing a VR project (outside of my profession) due to the lack of availability of what I would like to experience" Details soon...don't want to spill anything just yet!!
  • saami81saami81 Posts: 366
    Trinity

I remember reading a while back that Valve decided they won't do a desktop version of Alyx due to certain aspects of the game not being properly doable outside of VR. I guess the modders figured differently...
    Which one were right? I have not played modded pancake version. Is it good and as playable as a 50 dollar game should be?
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,879 Valuable Player
    Easily one of my favorite experiences in VR to-date. This was my first immersed RPG experience. Chronos helped me fall in love with VR straight away. It feels odd to talk so nostalgic considering that we're about to enter 2021 and Chronos impacted me back in 2016. It's crazy how time flies!

But yeah, poopoo in the sandwiches of the devs for now making this follow-up title VR-ready.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,116 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    Easily one of my favorite experiences in VR to-date. This was my first immersed RPG experience. Chronos helped me fall in love with VR straight away. It feels odd to talk so nostalgic considering that we're about to enter 2021 and Chronos impacted me back in 2016. It's crazy how time flies!

But yeah, poopoo in the sandwiches of the devs for now making this follow-up title VR-ready.

Apparently it's not a follow up title, it's a flat port of the VR game. I thought it was a follow up too! 
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Trinity
    saami81 said:

Which one were right? I have not played modded pancake version. Is it good and as playable as a 50 dollar game should be?

I haven't played the pancake either...and probably won't. VR is definitely the choice to play though...a totally worth the money spent.
    i7 8700k @ 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0
    "Presently developing a VR project (outside of my profession) due to the lack of availability of what I would like to experience" Details soon...don't want to spill anything just yet!!
    @Shadowmask72 - I think this has more to do with money. Whether it's a situation like with Lucky's Tale, where they made the sequel in 2D only, or a situation like this one where the VR version was remade to standard 2D... it's all about the dev's needing to earn some profits.

Despite how well VR has been doing, including the successful sales numbers of both Quest and Index, the fact is that the profit margins are slim pickings. It's well documented that Alyx barely broke even at best. Hopefully the Quest 2 sales will help push it in to some positive margins, but I can only imagine how little money Chronos for VR made. Any profits came from the funding that Facebook provided directly.

Going in to 2021, all VR dev studios face serious challenges yielding any profits if they are relying on sales alone. Having a 2D version is an incredibly smart financial move.

Hell, if they would bring this to the mobile platform then they can make a killing!
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 2,527 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    @Shadowmask72 - I think this has more to do with money. Whether it's a situation like with Lucky's Tale, where they made the sequel in 2D only, or a situation like this one where the VR version was remade to standard 2D... it's all about the dev's needing to earn some profits.

Despite how well VR has been doing, including the successful sales numbers of both Quest and Index, the fact is that the profit margins are slim pickings. It's well documented that Alyx barely broke even at best. Hopefully the Quest 2 sales will help push it in to some positive margins, but I can only imagine how little money Chronos for VR made. Any profits came from the funding that Facebook provided directly.

Going in to 2021, all VR dev studios face serious challenges yielding any profits if they are relying on sales alone. Having a 2D version is an incredibly smart financial move.

Hell, if they would bring this to the mobile platform then they can make a killing!

I think at this point it's safe to say Alyx made a profit. When people were questioning if it did it had just broken 1 million in sales. Latest projections have it breaking 2 million sales and it's still selling for $60. Even if you back out all of the ones Valve gave for "free" with Index, it likely made a nice profit. But it's more of an exception than the rule.
    edited December 2020
    pyroth309 said:
    Zenbane said:

I think at this point it's safe to say Alyx made a profit. When people were questioning if it did it had just broken 1 million in sales. Latest projections have it breaking 2 million sales and it's still selling for $60. Even if you back out all of the ones Valve gave for "free" with Index, it likely made a nice profit. But it's more of an exception than the rule.

By pure coincidence I think I was the first to see and post on Reddit that Alyx indeed has broken the 2 mill sales:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/k5izil/more_than_2000000_now_own_alyx/

- and I suspect that UploadVR reads new posts on Index Reddit too, lol - or could of course be another coincidence that they published this the day after my post (I did copy my post to Oculus Reddit and Virtual Reality Reddit too - needed the cheap karma :blush:) ....

https://uploadvr.com/half-life-alyx-2-million/

Very surprising to see such numbers - it puts Alyx in the same owner class category as Doom Eternal, although that category ranges from 2 to 5 mill owners, lol. Beat Saber on Steam is also in the 2 to 5 mill category, but that's not a real game ;)

Now I wonder if we'll one day see Alyx move beyond the 5 mill... 

- and I do wonder how many copies Chronos VR sold... 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 Evo M.2 SSD 128GB (for OS) + Samsung EVO 860 4TB SSD (for games) + Toshiba P300 High-Performance HDD 3TB (for games); Win10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1, the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0.

Trinity
    I just tried Chronos VR again in Revive last last and it ran fine. Though the graphics settings in game have literally no affect on the game at least on my system. I had to boost SteamVR SS to 200% in order to reduce the aliasing which was still visible even at that. The game played very smooth though. I'm already stuck on chapter 1...LOL...where the red lights are flashing in the room outside the elevator. I have the keys I picked up from the floor but presently am unable to do anything with them. The computer terminal in the next room doesn't do anything more than tell you there's a lock down...as does the other terminal earlier before going up the elevator.
    Agreed that Alyx has likely made profits at this stage. As pyroth said, it's more of an exception to the rule.

For most developers, they will be struggling just to break even.
    I just tried Chronos VR again in Revive last last and it ran fine. Though the graphics settings in game have literally no affect on the game at least on my system. I had to boost SteamVR SS to 200% in order to reduce the aliasing which was still visible even at that. The game played very smooth though. I'm already stuck on chapter 1...LOL...where the red lights are flashing in the room outside the elevator. I have the keys I picked up from the floor but presently am unable to do anything with them. The computer terminal in the next room doesn't do anything more than tell you there's a lock down...as does the other terminal earlier before going up the elevator.

I remember getting stuck here too! Totally forgot what to do. The room where the key is, and the terminal outside that lets you control stuff, were clues to moving on. Can't remember exactly how though. 

There's plenty of youtube vids with walkthroughs on it. I believe this guy has the whole game recorded:

edited December 2020
    Strange to have been looking for new AAA experiences since Alyx, and then I had it all the time, lol. 

Might sound like I'm repeating my latest Wilson's Heart experience, but I just had a totally 10/10 experience in Chronos. Using the Index res 150%. 

Note that Chronos is a relatively bright game, it works perfectly using a lcd hmd, and the game isn't soaked in temporal antialiasing = it's not blurry on high-res lcd hmds. The game profits from no SDE using Index, but it still looks awesome using CV1 ss 2 0. Sound is great using Index too - Knuckles work perfectly too using Revive 1 9.2.

For long I had the problem of dying in Chronos before reaching the next big red Save Stone. I kept repeating the same level, and I grew tired of it - sometimes cursing the game for the frustrating save game design. 

But today - for the first time in years - I got to the next save stone, and I had a blast. 

At first this game may seem like a simple 3rd person hack'n slash adventure with 2D-like fixed walls, and while that may not be entirely untrue, the game design and content did blow my mind several times tonight - and that does not happen often. Alyx is awesome too, but plays everything more safe and reuses a lot of content known from previous Half-Life games, while the stuff you're exposed to in Chronos can be literally mind-blowingly insane, meant in the best possible way. The creativity of the Chronos devs is second to none. Chronos isn't just another nice VR game, it's totally reference within its genre. 

The main problem with Chronos may be - unlike Alyx - that Chronos can look somewhat boring in the beginning and feel too old school (like a simple 2D game ported to VR), and then there's the potentially annoying save game design. You have to venture some way into the game before it opens up and shows its scale. 

Really feels like Another World on steroids and then some  :D

I guess these words would perfectly fit any great Chronos commercial  B)

- and this trailer kinda nails the game:

Trinity
    Zenbane said:

I remember getting stuck here too! Totally forgot what to do. The room where the key is, and the terminal outside that lets you control stuff, were clues to moving on. Can't remember exactly how though. 

There's plenty of youtube vids with walkthroughs on it. I believe this guy has the whole game recorded:

My problem here was what button(s) to push to bring up the key...nothing worked. Then, after accidentally hitting both the A + B buttons at the same time on the G2, I finally brought up the key. Well, you know the rest...
    Been doing time in Chronos again  B) The game isn't that easy, and having the world repopulated when dying can be frustrating. Also coming back to the game with several weeks between sessions may cause some memory stress, lol. 

In case others need it, I can recommend this walkthrough - but of course only to be used when everything else fails  o:) 

Dev says Chronos is AAA :)  - and he wonders how VR is 5 years later - in Autumn 2020 - but 5 years later some of us are still playing Chronos using CV1 and keep getting our butts spanked :blush: 

edited January 12
    Need to become one with Touch, to float like a butterfly and sting like a bee  B) With slight help from these sacred Krell writings  B)

Soon it will be goodbye to Mr. Cyclops, who already costed me like 10 years of my life!  :#  :D  

Btw, the Chronos Pain Thread, sigh:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4crd3b/chronos_great_game_but_stuck_on_cyclops_ideas/

RuneSR2 said:
    5 years later some of us are still playing 

Only difference is... some of us are now playing on battery lol

edited January 12
    It's a long time since I played games like Dark Souls 3, and I'm not very good at such games - I prefer first person shooters and adventure games. So I was afraid I might not be able to defeat the giant Cyclops in Chronos. But I just did  :)
    Also I play using the normal difficulty level, not the easy one - which might have been an error on my part, lol. 
    I did find all the biggest weapons, magic stones and got the large shield, but still Cyclops costed me like 15 lives. Actually had to practice to improve my combat skills - normally I don't dodge much, but just use the shield and my weapon. 

The games is rated at about 15 hours, but I might have spent that on the first 30% of the game :blush:  

The game is truly mind-blowing, and there are places that might have inspired the devs behind A Fisherman's Tale, especially when changing certain perspectives and sizes. 

But back to my old friend, I'm really thankful to Oculus for providing another beyond awesome experience - I don't think even Jeff in Alyx got me sweating more than Cyclops  :D

edited January 12
    Btw, just saw the credits and counted 80 names, so surely much effort went into the Oculus VR version. Also just found this interesting video introducing the devs - note that you have to click on the tweet to get to the vid, not sure why the vid doesn't integrate and show here:

Btw, I'm aware I post a lot about Chronos VR in a thread about the super-flat pancake version. But I think this is the newest thread about Chronos in here, thus maybe no reason to revive much older threads.

Another thing - how many in here knew that Chronos VR has its own subreddit? ;)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Chronos/

Last post is only a year old!  :D

Chronos is a great game (VR) version. It's one of the first screenshots I ever shared on this forum (2016)

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/419920#Comment_419920

Other than being a great experience overall, I can see why it doesn't create a lot of chatter. The gameplay is fairly straight forward. One early-game puzzle can be tricky, and then one late-game puzzle was cruel. Those 2 puzzles cause most of the online discussion. Still... very well worth the price of admission.
    edited January 18
    Zenbane said:
    Chronos is a great game (VR) version. It's one of the first screenshots I ever shared on this forum (2016)

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/419920#Comment_419920

Other than being a great experience overall, I can see why it doesn't create a lot of chatter. The gameplay is fairly straight forward. One early-game puzzle can be tricky, and then one late-game puzzle was cruel. Those 2 puzzles cause most of the online discussion. Still... very well worth the price of admission.

Also my joy of killing Cyclops was quite brief - maybe because I cleaned most of the rooms on the first floor before Cyclops - so I nearly jumped from one boss to the next:

chronos - Twitter Search

The fighting can be tough (like Dark Souls 3) and may be a turn-off to some. I love the game for the surroundings and the adventure elements, I'm not that fond of the fighting - still the game is 10/10 and I'm going back for more spanking tonight B)

edited January 18
    Btw, Chronos VR has a Metascore of 77%, while the pancake has 69%. In the Oculus Store the VR version has an average rating of 88% based on 1,300 ratings - while the pancake version is only 6/10 on Steam based on 170 ratings.

The pancake does have advantages like moving instead of stationary camera. (In the VR version only your character and opponents/npcs move, walls don't, while the 2D version works similar to Tomb Raider with a free moving camera.) Also the 2D version shows health bars, right now I have no clue when a boss is dead. The VR version may have been even better with these changes too (but would be more nausea inducing to some players).  

I do believe the better score for the VR version has to do with immersion - just sitting there in some great halls and taking in the atmosphere is worth much more than I paid for the game. You simply can't get such immersion from a pancake.