cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need the bigger storage size if I have the link cable?

StrudleboyXPD8
Honored Guest
I plan on using the Quest 2 with the link cable because I have heard that the quest 2 has a better refresh rate than the rift-s and also if I want I don't need the PC which means I can bring it to a friend's house easily. If I have the 64GB version of the Quest 2 and a link cable then that would mean that the computer can hold all of the games that don't fit on the headset right? I don't need all that storage to show friends a few games, whereas at home I do, but I don't want to spend the extra money if my PC can front that storage.
1 REPLY 1

kojack
MVP
MVP
The way it works is the Quest can run in two modes:
Stand Alone - No cable. You can only run native Quest games (bought from the Quest store) and they must be stored on the headset (in the 64GB if that's your model).
Link - Connected with cable. Your Quest is now pretending to be a Rift. You can only run Rift games (could be native PC Oculus or SteamVR) and they must be stored on the PC. Native Quest games can't work while Link is active.

(There's also Virtual Desktop which does the same as Link, but using wifi instead of a cable. The same rules apply though)

Rift and Quest games are built differently. Rift games are Windows PC based, Quest games are Android mobile games.

Be careful of cross buy too. Cross buy is when you buy a game for one platform (like Quest) and get the other platform (like Rift) for free. Not all games do that. For example, if you buy Beat Saber (not cross buy) on the Quest, you can't play it on a PC using Link cable, you have to buy it twice (once each from the Rift and Quest stores, the versions are different). But Audica is cross buy. Buy it on either store and you get the other version for free, so you can choose between PC and Quest at will.

It's all rather confusing.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2