cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No depth perception - except in VR??

Jhelzei
Honored Guest
This is completely off-topic, and have no idea if anyone can figure this out. In real life, I have -zero- depth perception. Life for me is two dimensional, as if it's on a flat screen. Yet when I put on a VR headset, I can see everything in perfect 3D.
I noticed this the first time I went to see a 3D movie a few years back. The way everything popped off the screen blew my mind, much the same way playing Fallout VR and Asgard's Wrath are doing now.
I'm not really sure why this is the case. I know my eyes are badly imbalanced, with 20/40 sight in one eye and 20/100 in the other. My brain just seems to discard the input from my right eye so I don't normally see things in 3D. But somehow VR and 3D movies are able to 'trick' my brain into processing stereoscopic images properly.
Anyone have any clue why this might be?
3 REPLIES 3

ohgrant
Superstar
 Hmm interesting. unlike 3D movies where something is being displayed in front of you and you need glasses to filter out the left and right images for you, still rely on eye alignment for stereoscopy to happen. VR hmd's you are getting a left and right beamed directly into your eyes and possibly with the IPD adjustment you are able to to compensate for a fundamental flaw in your eye alignment that prevents you from seeing dimension in real life? 

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Start by seeing an optometrist - and take it from there. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I  have below average 3D vision (as tested by my optometrist).  Seems to be worse at night so night flying with my radio controlled aircraft is a little challenging, lol!  However, 3D in PCVR or mobile VR does not seem to be a problem.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers