New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

No depth perception - except in VR??

JhelzeiJhelzei Posts: 1
NerveGear
edited December 2020 in Off-Topic
This is completely off-topic, and have no idea if anyone can figure this out. In real life, I have -zero- depth perception. Life for me is two dimensional, as if it's on a flat screen. Yet when I put on a VR headset, I can see everything in perfect 3D.
I noticed this the first time I went to see a 3D movie a few years back. The way everything popped off the screen blew my mind, much the same way playing Fallout VR and Asgard's Wrath are doing now.
I'm not really sure why this is the case. I know my eyes are badly imbalanced, with 20/40 sight in one eye and 20/100 in the other. My brain just seems to discard the input from my right eye so I don't normally see things in 3D. But somehow VR and 3D movies are able to 'trick' my brain into processing stereoscopic images properly.
Anyone have any clue why this might be?
Tagged:

Comments

• ohgrantohgrant Posts: 398
    Trinity
     Hmm interesting. unlike 3D movies where something is being displayed in front of you and you need glasses to filter out the left and right images for you, still rely on eye alignment for stereoscopy to happen. VR hmd's you are getting a left and right beamed directly into your eyes and possibly with the IPD adjustment you are able to to compensate for a fundamental flaw in your eye alignment that prevents you from seeing dimension in real life? 

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 16gb ddr 4 3200, 1080ti. Z800 HMD, DK1, DK2, CV1, Vive wireless, Quest, HP Reverb. Viewsonic 1080p 3D projector ASUS 3D vision monitor.  UAD Apollo interface, Yamaha studio monitors.  
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 7,395 Valuable Player
    Start by seeing an optometrist - and take it from there. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 Evo M.2 SSD 128GB (for OS) + Samsung EVO 860 4TB SSD (for games) + Toshiba P300 High-Performance HDD 3TB (for games); Win10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1, the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0.

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 3,357 Valuable Player
    I  have below average 3D vision (as tested by my optometrist).  Seems to be worse at night so night flying with my radio controlled aircraft is a little challenging, lol!  However, 3D in PCVR or mobile VR does not seem to be a problem.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/Index controllers, Quest 1 w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).