New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus SubReddit - users and topics

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 7,395 Valuable Player
Maybe it's just me, but I can't help thinking that the age of the average user in the Oculus SubReddit is being reduced at the moment - more kids/teenagers - and also more users who seem to exploit the Reddit anonymity.

This post is currently one of the most upvoted - and that would make perfect sense if the average IQ in there was from let's say 50 to 70:

Once I regarded Reddit as a great place for enthusiasts to exchange knowledge. That idea died a long time ago. Maybe it's still working in the Index SubReddit, where users seem older - it also costs a lot more to get the Index, thus most kids can't afford it. And the Index Reddit moderators are very strict - but few post in the Index Reddit forum, and users are very hostile against Oculus. For me still greatly enjoying my CV1 and liking to share my experiences, the Index SubReddit is kinda a toxic playground although I do spend time in there.  

Primarily I was wondering if I'm alone in having such thoughts, especially about the Oculus SubReddit - or is there still a VR SubReddit somewhere for enthusiastic adults - who know how to behave politely? Lol :)

Guess this forum is still the best place to be!  B)
Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 Evo M.2 SSD 128GB (for OS) + Samsung EVO 860 4TB SSD (for games) + Toshiba P300 High-Performance HDD 3TB (for games); Win10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1, the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0.

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• saami81saami81 Posts: 364
    Trinity
    I try to avoid Reddit. It is such a place where common sense and polite behavior are forgotten traits.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 3,357 Valuable Player
    Ya, way too many people have too much time on their hands right now imho.  Even this forum is attracting way too many one-post-wonders these days. 

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/Index controllers, Quest 1 w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 7,395 Valuable Player
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Ya, way too many people have too much time on their hands right now imho.  Even this forum is attracting way too many one-post-wonders these days. 

Agreed, this forum is turning into a Quest 2 support site, lol. No one seems to discuss new content anymore, would love to see many new posts about new content both here and on Oculus SubReddit, but such posts seem few and far between.

Intetesting about Oculus SubReddit is that it seems much more monitored by Oculus Support than in here. In that way Oculus SubReddit feels more like the main Oculus forun than in here... 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 Evo M.2 SSD 128GB (for OS) + Samsung EVO 860 4TB SSD (for games) + Toshiba P300 High-Performance HDD 3TB (for games); Win10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1, the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0.

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,352 Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2020
    RuneSR2 said:
    Intetesting about Oculus SubReddit is that it seems much more monitored by Oculus Support than in here. In that way Oculus SubReddit feels more like the main Oculus forun than in here... 
    That was the reason I first started using Reddit a few years ago—official statements and info releases seemed to always show up there first. Several Oculus higher-ups posted there with some regularity, too. 

These days I spend more time on Reddit than on other forums. It’s just easier to join a subreddit for new games or topics I’m interested in, rather than maintaining accounts at dozens of separate forums. This is really the only forum I frequent anymore. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 7,395 Valuable Player
    nalex66 said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    That was the reason I first started using Reddit a few years ago—official statements and info releases seemed to always show up there first. Several Oculus higher-ups posted there with some regularity, too. 

These days I spend more time on Reddit than on other forums. It’s just easier to join a subreddit for new games or topics I’m interested in, rather than maintaining accounts at dozens of separate forums. This is really the only forum I frequent anymore. 

Much the same here - but I also spend some time in the Steam Discussion (game specific) forums. The awesome part of that is being very close to the devs - often I can complain directly to them if they forgot native Oculus drivers o:)  

While Oculus SubReddit is monitored by Oculus Support to some extend, not many devs are there - that said, devs behind Above and Beyond have been quite active in there. Sad that they didn't make a thread in here - but I guess we're too few in here.  

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 1,141
    Wintermute
    RuneSR2 said:
    Maybe it's just me, but I can't help thinking that the age of the average user in the Oculus SubReddit is being reduced at the moment - more kids/teenagers - and also more users who seem to exploit the Reddit anonymity.

This post is currently one of the most upvoted - and that would make perfect sense if the average IQ in there was from let's say 50 to 70:

Once I regarded Reddit as a great place for enthusiasts to exchange knowledge. That idea died a long time ago. Maybe it's still working in the Index SubReddit, where users seem older - it also costs a lot more to get the Index, thus most kids can't afford it. And the Index Reddit moderators are very strict - but few post in the Index Reddit forum, and users are very hostile against Oculus. For me still greatly enjoying my CV1 and liking to share my experiences, the Index SubReddit is kinda a toxic playground although I do spend time in there.  

Primarily I was wondering if I'm alone in having such thoughts, especially about the Oculus SubReddit - or is there still a VR SubReddit somewhere for enthusiastic adults - who know how to behave politely? Lol :)

Guess this forum is still the best place to be!  B)

Forums are cuddly warm safe places in the sun compared to the likes of VR Chat these days, that is just scary at this point, and i have sat in many a railway bothy with 20 railway guys playing cards for 8 hours while they all swig home made beer down on a heavy winters night on snow duty keeping the points clear, and some of those guys make the sergeant from Full metal Jacket look like a introvert, yet they would be shocked to hear some of the stuff coming out of the mouths from children on that thing, and really young kids i might add, just shocking, and i don't shock easy. lol