New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Link App Keeps Stopping

Someone, please help! I've been trying for days trying to figure out and solve the reason as to why the Oculus Link app keeps stopping on the oculus quest, I have a USB 3.0 wire and port and I meet the requirements, I don't know why it keeps stopping, all It does is it goes into a black screen, then I hear a little bit of the start up a song in the Oculus Link Home and then it crashes and says the Oculus Link App stopped working, or Oculus Link App Keeps stopping! Someone, please help me! I've been dying to play some pc vr games for ages! Thanks a bunch!

Comments

• OculusSupportOculusSupport Posts: 1,300 Oculus Staff
    Hey, so sorry to hear that this problem is occurring, and we thank you for the effort you've put into troubleshooting so far. We'd like to help you out with this, so can you please click here to submit a ticket? Be sure to include your Oculus Diagnostics Logs as well. Thanks!
  • schmeunschmeun Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I have the exact same problem  :'(
  • SkytillaSkytilla Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have the same problem, I thought that my cable is broken but it seems that more persons have the problem.
  • GagahenriGagahenri Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Are you all running on AMD tech ? 
  • SwalainSwalain Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    keeps crashing for me too !
    USB 3 cable works fine in test (1.7gb bandwidth), Quest + PC App are up to date, I rebooted both multiple times, reinstalled Oculus PC app...

I have i7 9700K, and Vega 64 nitro +, if it helps
  • BluestakeBluestake Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Gagahenri I'm on a Sapphire RX580 Nitro+, but why would that be a problem? In the PC software it see's my device but in the headset it keeps saying Link app stopped working and your given 2 choices: 1 App info or 2 Close app. If you choose App info it just stays on 3 dots for 5 minutes then black screen.
    Any ideas??
  • Raiden-BreakerRaiden-Breaker Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I am also having this problem, am on a Vega 64 with a Ryzen 3600. it has been working fine for ages until last week.
    I have repaired the pc software and factory reset the quest but it's still happening.
  • SwalainSwalain Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    dont know if thats helping, but when i'm trying to launch a game (Phasmophobia for example) I can actually hear the game sound for a sec in the Quest, but no image. Maybe its the last Radeon update ? Did you guys dl it ?
  • synchromesh62synchromesh62 Posts: 481
    Trinity
    edited December 2020
    Apparently this is AMD driver related.
    If you roll back the latest drivers it works again. Although i do not consider this a fix.
    All depends who fixes it first.. AMD or Oculus  ?
    Although im guessing it will be down to Oculus to sort.
    I am also getting the issue but so far i can get away with using Virtual Desktop wirelessly until i hit a game that wont work.
  • MystaMagooMystaMagoo Posts: 145
    Art3mis
    I know VD has problems with latest AMD software,maybe try rolling back a few builds?
    Asrock Taichi - Threadripper 1920X - 32gb 3200mhz - GTX1080 - M.2 970 evo
    NerveGear
    I have a Radeon rx580 too. I'm in contact with the Oculus helpdesk, waiting for another reply. But probably its a matter of waiting for an update.
    NerveGear
    edited December 2020
    I was able to "fix" it by going back to amd driver 20.9.1 as suggested earlier by synchromesh62. Thanks for the tip.
  • OfficialAsianMelonOfficialAsianMelon Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Swalain said:
    dont know if thats helping, but when i'm trying to launch a game (Phasmophobia for example) I can actually hear the game sound for a sec in the Quest, but no image. Maybe its the last Radeon update ? Did you guys dl it ?
    Dude that is exactly what I am experiencing! apparently, rolling back to an older AMD update fixes it? I'm not sure which update tho but worth a try! 
  • ehjort1981ehjort1981 Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    I've posted this on here a bunch of times now.  It's an AMD driver issue.  Uninstall and reinstall 20.10.1 driver or earlier.  Anything 20.11 and higher breaks Oculus Link on AMD hardware.  It is also noted in the known issues section of AMDs fine print.  And posted in big bold letters on Oculuses support page.
  • jazis101jazis101 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Gagahenri said:
    Are you all running on AMD tech ? yes i am
  • Michael_2412Michael_2412 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited December 2020
    me too. hardware checks, updates, etc.. In fact, I just installed virtual desktop -- and that works!
    I am also using a Radeon 580 as noted by someone above... opened a ticket with support... <sigh> it's a day old (early X-mas present) and I pre purchased a ton of Steam VR apps/games that I can't use yet..
  • Crusty1Crusty1 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    getting this issue running on an nvidia 3070, my link was working fine the first day i set it up second day and ever since keeps disconnecting the moment i activate link. ticket raised
    haven't updated drivers since that first day
  • SWIFT_HEXSWIFT_HEX Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Says link stopped working when it works go black screen can hear it but cant see rx580 PLZ HELP
  • PrubruhPrubruh Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Gagahenri said:
    Are you all running on AMD tech ? 
    Yea
  • Reggie_LeeReggie_Lee Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited December 2020
    I'm guessinging this is happening to AMD?
  • EM1LL3USEM1LL3US Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    schmeun said:
    I was able to "fix" it by going back to amd driver 20.9.1 as suggested earlier by synchromesh62. Thanks for the tip.
    how did you do this? I have the same problem, but i dont know how to roll back builds.
  • Trex_AmaxTrex_Amax Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    EM1LL3US said:
    schmeun said:
    how did you do this? I have the same problem, but i dont know how to roll back builds.
    look up amd software update 20.9.1 and it should give you the download off of the website
    Trinity
    edited December 2020
    Just reinstalled my Windows ( new motherboard ) and right now just using the Windows drivers for my RX580 and link now works perfectly ( which was stopping as described ) so it looks like an AMD driver issue for sure ... Problem is .. Who is gonna fix it .. Do AMD care ? are they interested in whether a third party VR app works or not ?
    Or will Oculus find a fix if they are even looking ...  I can see this being a problem if both wait for each other.
  • J7N0J7N0 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Its telling me that oculus cant work with with hardware now
  • J7N0J7N0 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    J7N0 said:
    im gonna try to resinstall oculus or maybe
  • Aikidom666Aikidom666 Posts: 6
    Brain Burst
    edited December 2020
    ive reinstalled window reinstalled nvidia driver type c usb...keep disconnect randomly and reconnect  whithin a sec , but embarrasing enough to close the game and play with virtual desktop . rtx 2070 i7 8700
    Trinity
    J7N0 said:
    Right now its working the best it ever has for me but that is with the Windows 10 RX580 drivers.
    I dare not install the official ones from AMD just yet as i had the latest driver update from them yesterday and it still did not work.
    :(
  • PBootyPBooty Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited January 2
    I rolled back my radeon driver to 20.10.1 and it works now. Just google radeon 20.10.1 and it should take you to the driver. You dont have to uninstall your current driver, just run the installer and it will downgrade you. Obviously don't do this if you are running Nvidia. I'd post a link but I'm too new apparently.
  • DVID2006DVID2006 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    PBooty said:
    I rolled back my radeon driver to 20.10.1 and it works now. Just google radeon 20.10.1 and it should take you to the driver. You dont have to uninstall your current driver, just run the installer and it will downgrade you. Obviously don't do this if you are running Nvidia. I'd post a link but I'm too new apparently.
    yo are you sure this is gonna work because I've tried a lot of stuff all ready and i just want to get this fixed

• DVID2006DVID2006 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    PBooty said:
    also how would i go about this please i need help