cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are families going to kill quest platform - Are families fair to developers??????

PITTCANNA
Visionary
Getting past the minor glitches and bugs......QUEST 2 IS AN ABSOLUTE MONSTER OF A UNIT, PCVR WITHOUT A PC OR ADD A PC AND GET WIRELES PCVR.

I hate it when families and people get on here and say they were betrayed over the multi user support, and what they think should be added apps and features.

Where the heck are you going to a unit costing 299, that has the ability to play pcvr level vr without needing pc.  

I can get into all the details but the pros outweigh the cons on a grand scheme.  My point of discussion is what precedent does it send to developers that families will leach off of one buy across multiple headsets?  Will developers develop AAA content much longer if they don't have incentive to have more buys?  At an average 20 dollars per title with not wide spread purchasing, why is it too much to ask to have users buy additional titles for mulitplayer playing.  

I work in the in engineering industry and cad programs or other critical software have unique license requirements, i see no issues with developers getting multi buys with the same title for a family.
21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think the Quest 2 has sold so much now that developers will be getting plenty of cash from software sales.

I reckon they've sold over 2m of these things by now if the rumours of the first production run being 2m is true.

PITTCANNA
Visionary

snowdog said:

I think the Quest 2 has sold so much now that developers will be getting plenty of cash from software sales.

I reckon they've sold over 2m of these things by now if the rumours of the first production run being 2m is true.

What do you think plenty of cash is from software sales?

Also just because you sell a loss leader like the hardware of quest 2, does not translate to profit.  Cell phones sell on the same principle there low enough that they are disposable, the sales come into play when they are connected to a network service.

I'm still not sure how family accounts are going to work.

Will they allow multiple headsets to install a title purchased once? or is it more about allowing family members to switch accounts within a headset? adding profiles and save slots etc, have we had any details yet?

In any event, I think snowdog may have a point, if it makes the headsets more popular, it could bring them into more households and that could offset multi installs within the same family.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Steam does not support family accounts, so I doubt we'll see this with the Oculus platform anytime soon.

As for the devs, sadly, most rarely break even, let alone make a huge profit on their software. The 2-million units sold is a nice estimate, but that's still an incredibly low number. Not all 2 million units remain active, (e.g. returns, shelved units, etc), and not all 2 million are buying the same titles.

Most dev's are fairly open about how little revenue is made developing for VR. 

Until the units sold hits the "10's of millions," developing for VR will be a poor man's hobby; save for those who get direct funding.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Steam does have some family sharing functionality, but it’s not the same as the upcoming Oculus scheme (with Steam, you can share your whole library with a limited number of people, but multiple people can’t access it simultaneously). 

Oculus seems to be planning Device Sharing, which will allow another user to sign onto your headset using their own Facebook account, including their own VR username, avatar, and app profile/save progress. 

Presumably, this would allow the guest user to use your installed apps, so that you could give them your spare headset and play multiplayer games against them. For families, this hopefully means that multiple headsets can be owned under a main family account and shared to members of the family. 

Although they’ve said it’s coming soon, Facebook/Oculus have not yet spelled the details and limitations of the feature. 

You can see on your Oculus.com/devices page, they’ve already added a place to see who you’ve shared your devices with, as well as who has shared with you. 
8jif9zxv140h.jpeg

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Between how Steam does it vs Oculus, it's two contrasting views on how to properly support families. Sounds about right for 2020.
 😛 

Nunyabinez
Rising Star

Zenbane said:

Between how Steam does it vs Oculus, it's two contrasting views on how to properly support families. Sounds about right for 2020.
 😛 

Although to be fair, one is a hardware company that sells some software and the other is a software selling company that sells some hardware, so it's reasonable to assume different strategies, just like MS and Apple.

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Zenbane said:

😛 

Although to be fair, one is a hardware company that sells some software and the other is a software selling company that sells some hardware, so it's reasonable to assume different strategies, just like MS and Apple.

I don't necessarily disagree. I would just add that when we compare the VR ecosystem itself, they are both quite similar. Oculus has Quest/Rift with the Oculus Store, and Valve has the Index with Steam VR.

You are correct when we take a broader view, as Steam is most certainly a hardware company first and foremost.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Zenbane said:

Zenbane said:

😛 

I don't necessarily disagree. I would just add that when we compare the VR ecosystem itself, they are both quite similar. Oculus has Quest/Rift with the Oculus Store, and Valve has the Index with Steam VR.

You are correct when we take a broader view, as Steam is most certainly a hardware company first and foremost.

I hate to disagree but I think that Steam is mainly a Software delivering company.  They actually do a pretty good job with software and hardware as well imho.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers