New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Complete breakdown of Oculus installation - now can't even repair/reinstall as download gets stuck

Vrgear1972Vrgear1972 Posts: 22
Brain Burst
New PC, built from the ground up. Fresh install of Windows 10, all updated.

Installed Oculus client. Installed many games to non-C drive locations Played games.

Attempted to download more Oculus games from my library, got "Unable to download" error. Ran repair of Oculus client, which completely broke things, as now it can't even redownload the client, gets stuck and eventually times out with a "Your network isn't working" type error.

Set Oculus exclusions on Defender and Malwarebytes. No difference.
Uninstalled Malwarebytes. No difference.
Turned off active scanning on Defender. No difference.
Deleted all Oculus related folders/files, manually. No difference.
Tried Google DNS. No difference.

Everything else on this PC is working. I just cannot now get Oculus client reinstalled, as the setup gets "Stuck" on the download.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Vrgear1972Vrgear1972 Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    edited December 2020
    Following this up, i've uninstalled/safe mode/registry clear down managed to get the client back installed and onto a different drive than C.

Installed the first game I tried, no issue. Every other game fails to install in exactly the same way as before though. The /Downloads folder in the Oculus install location has tons of 'Partial Download' 0k files, along with a bunch of other files that have content.

This is all after completely uinstalling Malwarebytes, so only Defender is now running.

Watching the /Downloads location, when I click to install a game, I do see a folder created initially for the game but this is then removed and replaced with these files.

Also changed the OculusClient.exe to run as Admin, no difference.
    Brain Burst
    edited December 2020
    Hilariously, trying again today (10am GMT), without making any changes, everything is downloading flawlessly. Currently about 30 out of 56 installs of games, all successful.

The behaviour last night felt a lot like a service problem, like the installations couldn't validate the hash or something. I rather suspect Oculus isn't able to cope with current demand.

Edit: Scratch that, after installing about 32 games, the rest have now failed in the same way.
    Brain Burst
    Right, so all this is pointing towards a service problem on their end. The Oculus client is now showing "Some features of the Oculus platform may be temporarily unavailable". 

Does anyone know if there's an up status page somewhere, to review the state of things?
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 6,487 Volunteer Moderator
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19042.662)
    Brain Burst
    Thanks. Says its up, yet again trying to install the client and the logs say this...

[Warning] [24/12/2020 13:03:29] Download attempt 1 failed!
    System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: Response status code does not indicate success: 429 (-).
       at System.Net.Http.HttpResponseMessage.EnsureSuccessStatusCode()
       at Daybreak.Net.Networker.<GetStream>d__10.MoveNext()
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
       at Daybreak.Net.FileDownloader.<DownloadFile>d__5.MoveNext()

Over and over again until the installer says there's a network issue (which, of course, there isn't at my end).
    Brain Burst
    Definitely not my gaming PC. Can't install the client on a different PC in the same house, fails in exactly the same way.
  • DistinctivebeingDistinctivebeing Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    I am having the same issue. I just hooked up my headset last night. I pre-installed the software last month. Downloaded a couple games and they worked fine. Then tried downloading another, and it would not, requested refund, tried another new game, FAIL. Uninstalled Oculus, tried to reinstall and then it gets stuck on downloading.

Reinstalled windows from SCRATCH, updated all drivers, updated windows. Tried installing Oculus... SAME EXACT ISSUE, stops at downloading then error's out saying check connection. I have a 1 GIG fiber connection at my house. My error log reflects the same.

Let me know if you fix this. I have wasted hours of my time trying to get the damn APP to reinstall...... On Christmas for GOD SAKES!
    NerveGear
    [Warning] [12/25/2020 1:51:27 PM] Download attempt 5 failed!
    System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: Response status code does not indicate success: 429 (-).
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
    [Warning] [12/25/2020 1:51:27 PM] Download attempt 5 failed!

NerveGear

NerveGear
    I got it to work:

I downloaded ExpressVPN on my PC, paid for an account. Started up a VPN and BAM. The program downloads and installs FINE. WTF.........
    NerveGear
    By chance do you have CenturyLink internet?
  • BraveNoobBraveNoob Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited December 2020
    Hey, I was running into this same problem just a second ago. It's most likely a service problem. I remember running into this issue months ago too. I wasn't able to install Asgards Wrath today, so I thought repairing my oculus software would do the trick. But then my install was freezing at 138mb.... and my logs should similar problems trying to download and verify some hash I think. Distinctive post above works. Use a vpn change your location so it points to another service. My install is working now( way slower speeds, but better than 0 lol) Hoping this will also fix my asgards wrath install too... I'm using at&T fiber if that helps, vpn is windscribe. I don't know what the service status page represents because there is clearly a problem right now. (Last time I had this issue, I ran an oculus service on my computer while the install was going and it was able to pass through where it got stuck.. I can't recall which one it was, but the vpn trick just worked for me)
  • TravisPNWTravisPNW Posts: 96
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited December 2020

Edit: Scratch that, after installing about 32 games, the rest have now failed in the same way.

Right, so all this is pointing towards a service problem on their end. The Oculus client is now showing "Some features of the Oculus platform may be temporarily unavailable". 

Does anyone know if there's an up status page somewhere, to review the state of things?

I am having the same issue. I just hooked up my headset last night. I pre-installed the software last month. Downloaded a couple games and they worked fine. Then tried downloading another, and it would not, requested refund, tried another new game, FAIL. Uninstalled Oculus, tried to reinstall and then it gets stuck on downloading.

Reinstalled windows from SCRATCH, updated all drivers, updated windows. Tried installing Oculus... SAME EXACT ISSUE, stops at downloading then error's out saying check connection. I have a 1 GIG fiber connection at my house. My error log reflects the same.

Let me know if you fix this. I have wasted hours of my time trying to get the damn APP to reinstall...... On Christmas for GOD SAKES!

BraveNoob said:
    Hey, I was running into this same problem just a second ago. It's most likely a service problem. I remember running into this issue months ago too. I wasn't able to install Asgards Wrath today, so I thought repairing my oculus software would do the trick. But then my install was freezing at 138mb.... and my logs should similar problems trying to download and verify some hash I think. Distinctive post above works. Use a vpn change your location so it points to another service. My install is working now( way slower speeds, but better than 0 lol) Hoping this will also fix my asgards wrath install too... I'm using at&T fiber if that helps, vpn is windscribe. I don't know what the service status page represents because there is clearly a problem right now. (Last time I had this issue, I ran an oculus service on my computer while the install was going and it was able to pass through where it got stuck.. I can't recall which one it was, but the vpn trick just worked for me)

I'm having similar issues and nobody has yet to reply to my thread.  What you are describing about stalling at 138mb is EXACTLY what happened to me on the previous installation.  Last night it downloaded fine and I installed all my apps until I got to the last 3 apps that are all 19gb+... and again... fails... just like before.  It will either start downloading the data and then at a given point it will just stop and say failed and to contact support or when I click install it will instantly fail without downloading anything.  Does this mean I need to try the VPN thing?

Below is my post from earlier...  Now I feel better knowing it's not just me having issues.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/96782/apps-wont-install#latest

Hello...  I have a new PC build.  I'm trying to reinstall everything from my Oculus account.

I installed 35 apps ranging in size from 300mb to 6gb with no problems at all.  The last 3 refuse to install... all are 19gb+ and that would be elite dangerous, wilson's heart, and arizona sunshine.

I click to install... the process starts... it goes a certain distance with the download and stops and I get a "unable to install, please contact support."  I try again and as soon as I click the install button it immediately fails.  It's not my new PC and any windows virus checker shouldn't have anything to do with it either... if it did the other 35 apps wouldn't have installed.

I've had people tell me it's the internet being crowded and to try again later?  I would agree that this is a problem with Oculus servers... can anyone else confirm similar issues?  This EXACT same problem happened 3 weeks ago on the OLD computer... I went to reinstall after updating my SSDs and it kept failing on these last 3 games.  Fast forward to 3 weeks later when every other component on the PC is new and again... can't install these last 3 games.

Why?

LG CX OLED 48" / i9 10900k / Z73 AIO 360mm / MSI Meg Z490 Unify / 24GB RTX 3090 FE / 64GB DDR4-4000 / 3x 2TB 970 Evo Plus / EVGA 1000W / Oculus Quest 2 256GB

NerveGear
    TravisPNW said:

BraveNoob said:

I'm having similar issues and nobody has yet to reply to my thread.  What you are describing about stalling at 138mb is EXACTLY what happened to me on the previous installation.  Last night it downloaded fine and I installed all my apps until I got to the last 3 apps that are all 19gb+... and again... fails... just like before.  It will either start downloading the data and then at a given point it will just stop and say failed and to contact support or when I click install it will instantly fail without downloading anything.  Does this mean I need to try the VPN thing?

Below is my post from earlier...  Now I feel better knowing it's not just me having issues.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/96782/apps-wont-install#latest

Hello...  I have a new PC build.  I'm trying to reinstall everything from my Oculus account.

I installed 35 apps ranging in size from 300mb to 6gb with no problems at all.  The last 3 refuse to install... all are 19gb+ and that would be elite dangerous, wilson's heart, and arizona sunshine.

I click to install... the process starts... it goes a certain distance with the download and stops and I get a "unable to install, please contact support."  I try again and as soon as I click the install button it immediately fails.  It's not my new PC and any windows virus checker shouldn't have anything to do with it either... if it did the other 35 apps wouldn't have installed.

I've had people tell me it's the internet being crowded and to try again later?  I would agree that this is a problem with Oculus servers... can anyone else confirm similar issues?  This EXACT same problem happened 3 weeks ago on the OLD computer... I went to reinstall after updating my SSDs and it kept failing on these last 3 games.  Fast forward to 3 weeks later when every other component on the PC is new and again... can't install these last 3 games.

Why?

The VPN will work fine
    Brain Burst
    edited December 2020
    Thanks for the replies all. Definitely not a local issue this. All across the last couple of days, I've had...
    • Slow games downloads. Watching the count, on a 350mb/s line, it reads more like 2mb/s, if that.
    • Eventually, completely randomly, the game install in question (and all those queued after) will fail with the aforementioned error and will NOT download if immediately tried again
    • Wait for a period of time, without restarting the PC, and downloads will simply start to work again until they randomly stop again.
    For all reading this, do NOT spend any time attempting to troubleshoot this issue via Repair or Uninstall/Reinstall (or worse things like Registry edits, safe modes, running as admin, disabling AV, disabling firewalls) of the client. You wouldn't believe how many things I've worked through the last few days, to try and fix this problem. It will only get you stuck one step further back as the client download is tied to the same service and will also therefore fail but this time, you won't even be able to use your HMD for anything.

As others have said, it appears there are set 'chunks' of client download data that are worked through when downloading the client, the first will be 138mb. Your client download will hit that and then will simply stop and then after around 2 mins, report a network error, which of course you won't have. If you're lucky it will work past 138mb but will stick at another set of points throughout the whole 5gb download. I've had something around 275 and also 1gb stop dead too.

To be clear, there are two issues here...
    • Games will fail to download with an error, randomly, but will then work when tried at a later time without any changes made to the PC, including restarting.
    • The client will fail to download, after reaching a download size 'chunk', and eventually throw a network error.
    Neither of these things are likely to be your PC, rather the Oculus service in some way, as they will work at some indeterminate period of time later, I rather suspect the problem manifests more during periods of heavy load.

Really helpful that their Status page is essentially useless, as it appears to not be tied into the client or games downloads at all.

BTW, I'm UK based, Virgin Media. My best successes with all of this have been my time, in the early mornings (9-10am)

Brain Burst
    I got it to work:

I downloaded ExpressVPN on my PC, paid for an account. Started up a VPN and BAM. The program downloads and installs FINE. WTF.........
    Yeah, absolutely it will be some sort of region issue with the service. VPN is the one thing I didn't try (what with all the crazy suggestions about disabling AV and such). 

Glad you got it sorted mate.
  • TravisPNWTravisPNW Posts: 96
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited December 2020

Thanks for the replies all. Definitely not a local issue this. All across the last couple of days, I've had...

BTW, I'm UK based, Virgin Media. My best successes with all of this have been my time, in the early mornings (9-10am)

I got it to work:

Yeah, absolutely it will be some sort of region issue with the service. VPN is the one thing I didn't try (what with all the crazy suggestions about disabling AV and such). 

Glad you got it sorted mate.

Everything you've described is EXACTLY what I experienced... right down to the 138mb stall.  This all went on 3 weeks ago when I was attempting to reinstall after upgrading the SSDs on my PC.  I actually returned the Quest 2 to the store because I was ready to throw my PC out the window with all this.

Fast forward 3 weeks later and I ended up building a new PC with no plans for VR... until MSFS2020 put out their VR update the other day.  That changed everything and I picked up another Quest 2 today.

Intial installation was flawless... no hangups.  Installed like 35 apps... no problems.  The last 3 are 19gb+ in size and they all failed many times over.  I discovered this thread... set up the ExpressVPN app... the first 2 downloaded fine... the 3rd one failed.  I rebooted... logged into the VPN again... and the 3rd one completed.

HOORAY!  My entire Oculus library (191GB) is installed.  I don't know whether to laugh or cry.  Thanks to all for the help and I hope everyone gets their issues resolved too.  I'm happy I got mine set up... but still doesn't change the fact something is amiss here.  3+ years ago I never had these issues when I first set up my VR with the original Rift CV1.  Is it because everyone is at home clogging up the internet that this is happening now?

Keeping the VPN on standby for when I purchase my next app... will cross my fingers it actually downloads.  I'm USA based in Seattle, WA.

LG CX OLED 48" / i9 10900k / Z73 AIO 360mm / MSI Meg Z490 Unify / 24GB RTX 3090 FE / 64GB DDR4-4000 / 3x 2TB 970 Evo Plus / EVGA 1000W / Oculus Quest 2 256GB

• TheMikeyFTheMikeyF Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: Response status code does not indicate success: 429

429 HTTP response code is "Too many requests" 

TL;DR their servers are blocking you from downloading because they think that you've hit their servers too often.  That's why a VPN works for a while at least.  It's a new IP.  It's also why it works after waiting some period of time. Eventually that throttle limit will expire.

It's just bad config on their part to have the limit set so low and the expiry so long.
    Brain Burst
    fergusonm said:
    System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: Response status code does not indicate success: 429

429 HTTP response code is "Too many requests" 

TL;DR their servers are blocking you from downloading because they think that you've hit their servers too often.  That's why a VPN works for a while at least.  It's a new IP.  It's also why it works after waiting some period of time. Eventually that throttle limit will expire.

It's just bad config on their part to have the limit set so low and the expiry so long.
    That would certainly explain the VPN appearing to fix the issue and leaving it before trying again but if so, that is a terrible way for them to manage load. In a recent attempt to get things working, a few days ago, all I did was download the client and then one game, before other games failed to download. So probably 7gb?

No online service in almost 2021 should be imposing hard limits and breaking connections like that, especially when there's no accompanying message to give the customer the information they need without going down a rabbit hole reinstalling OS's and such to try and fix a problem that isn't caused by them. So much misinformation on these boards.
    Brain Burst
    VPN worked for me. I had one or two similar problems with games installs failing but disconnecting and reconnecting the VPN to a different region got things working again.

The download rate was still poor though and that's not the VPN or my connection (confirmed with VPN active, still in the 250mb/s range) but game installs took a long time to complete. Far longer than other services like Steam, Origin, etc.
  • roester76roester76 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited January 11
    Would be nice if support came up with something other than 'have you checked your wifi' or 'it's your AV' regarding this issue..... been a right pain in the A*

P.S the VPN workaround does work so it is 100% a issue with their servers failing and then booting you for too many retries...
    Brain Burst
    roester76 said:
    Would be nice if support came up with something other than 'have you checked your wifi' or 'it's your AV' regarding this issue..... been a right pain in the A*

P.S the VPN workaround does work so it is 100% a issue with their servers failing and then booting you for too many retries...
    Yep, and I had it again as recently as yesterday, so the issue isn't even due to peak usage. This also hasn't always been the case, they've changed the way this is configured on their end.

Complete garbage way to manage a service in 2021.