cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Games Change To Black Screen

JMB21
Honored Guest
Hello....this is my first VR headset, so forgive me if this is something simple that I should already know...

What would cause the screen to go black randomly during gameplay? This isn't something that I have a constant issue with, it's a specific situation where I set up Richey's Plank and the environments shows up, then I remove the headset and place it on my nephew. The countdown appears and counts all the way down, then the environment flashes for less than a second and the screen goes black but you can still see the controllers. It seems to be specific to this game, as I was able to get him set up on First Steps the same way just fine. The first time I set the game up for my brother-in-law we had the same issue, but I just tried it a couple more times and it eventually showed up. But no matter what I do, when I put it on my nephew's head he ends up with the black screen. Admittedly, the Quest 2 is way too big for his head, but I've tried tightening it up as much as I can and holding it up with my hands....which as I typed that out it just hit me that I may be covering up cameras and causing the issue by holding it up for him. If that's not correct and there are some other sensors that I need to be paying attention to, please let me know...thanks! 
5 REPLIES 5

PITTCANNA
Visionary
you have to recenter the headset after you put on it on someone.  when you change heights quickly it doens't have time to catch up on the render.

also turn off auto sleep.  When you take off the head set theres a small sensor on the forehead when once you take it off the screen turns off.

this setting is in the phone app when the unit is turned on and resting on your forehead turn off auto sleep in more settings.

for recentering the hmd, have your son look straight ahead and hold the right menu button for a few seconds until the oculus symbol goes away.

NosePunch
Adventurer
There is no such thing as a black screen on the Quest 2, it's more a dark gray thanks to Oculus downgrading to an LCD display instead of keeping an OLED display, like the original Quest has.

JMB21
Honored Guest
Thank you PITTCANNA, appreciate the response.....

aguy10
Heroic Explorer

Resistoon said:

There is no such thing as a black screen on the Quest 2, it's more a dark gray thanks to Oculus downgrading to an LCD display instead of keeping an OLED display, like the original Quest has.

It's not entirely true it's a downgrade of screen. While it doesn't have deep blacks it seems to have superior color according to a trusted VR reviewer.

MagpieHitman
Honored Guest
This is happening to me too. On thrill of the fight after 20secs or so in the screen goes black but the game continues in the background. I can hear my opponent hitting me..if I move the headset off my head and back on again the screen comes back on. But again after a few seconds of playing it just goes black again and I'm stuck in this loop. It's made the game unplayable.