New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Steam Awards: Congrats to Alyx and Doom!

ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,873 Valuable Player

Alyx won VR Game of the year for 2020, and Doom Eternal won best soundtrack. 

Interestingly, I still haven't played Alyx because I'm still addicted to Doom lol
 <3 
Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane

Comments

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 6,486 Volunteer Moderator
    I haven't played Alyx past the intro yet either... I was put off with not being able to jump or climbing over a wall without transportation, it just kept spoiling the immersion.. has that changed? I know it's a poor excuse but after playing Fallout for so long, I just expect to do anything in a VR world, I'll give it another go though. I hated Bioshock the first time I played it when I realised you couldn't be killed, the Vita Chambers felt like a console game idea but eventually it became one of my all-time favourites.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19042.662)
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 7,395 Valuable Player
    I haven't played Alyx past the intro yet either... I was put off with not being able to jump or climbing over a wall without transportation, it just kept spoiling the immersion.. has that changed? I know it's a poor excuse but after playing Fallout for so long, I just expect to do anything in a VR world, I'll give it another go though. I hated Bioshock the first time I played it when I realised you couldn't be killed, the Vita Chambers felt like a console game idea but eventually it became one of my all-time favourites.

You can climb stairs, but no jumping. I think Alyx has levels designed a long time ago - when teleportation still was hot, lol - 4 years in the making, and combined Valve's old-fashioned control methods and thinking, take their toll. 

Alyx has been designed to limit nausea. Might not be a bad idea - one of my friends tried Medal of Honor this weekend, and loved it, but was plagued by nausea for several hours after a 45 min VR session, where he got exposed to a small amount of full locomation (and snap turning). I guess the nausea is not to be taken lightly, even if some of us never experience it.  

When you get into Alyx, I doubt you will care much about some occasional teleportation. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 Evo M.2 SSD 128GB (for OS) + Samsung EVO 860 4TB SSD (for games) + Toshiba P300 High-Performance HDD 3TB (for games); Win10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1, the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0.

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 6,486 Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 5
    RuneSR2 said:

You can climb stairs, but no jumping. I think Alyx has levels designed a long time ago - when teleportation still was hot, lol - 4 years in the making, and combined Valve's old-fashioned control methods and thinking, take their toll. 

Alyx has been designed to limit nausea. Might not be a bad idea - one of my friends tried Medal of Honor this weekend, and loved it, but was plagued by nausea for several hours after a 45 min VR session, where he got exposed to a small amount of full locomation (and snap turning). I guess the nausea is not to be taken lightly, even if some of us never experience it.  

When you get into Alyx, I doubt you will care much about some occasional teleportation. 
    In my case I don't mind apps that use teleport, you definitely forget about it after a while... like The Room, it just becomes part of the game. This though is the first ever Half-Life game where you can't jump.

I think it's just a problem when teleport is mixed in with free-roam, it becomes a reminder of the mechanism the devs has used to make it work. I'll definitely play through the whole thing though and I'm sure I'll get over it!
    (not by jumping though :))
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19042.662)