New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

No DisplayPort, Can I Use an Adatper?

I'm on a gaming laptop which for some reason has no dp port. Will I be able to use my Rift S with an adapter?

Comments

• Howie_DoodatHowie_Doodat Posts: 86
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited January 11
    Technically it’s unsupported, most likely because you'd be stuck with the bandwidth limitation of the HDMI port you were plugging the adapter into. I believe somebody on this forum has said they used one and it worked, but I’d have to imagine the quality is questionable. 

Two things. 

1: are you positive that there’s not a USB C and or thunderbolt port on your laptop? Those often double as a Mini DisplayPort, and a mini display port to standard display port adapter shouldn’t hurt the quality at all.

2. you may be in the same situation as me, my laptop doesn’t have a display port (well...it DOES, but it’s not linked to my graphics card unfortunately), meaning the Oculus Quest is your only option for VR (it sends the signal over USB, and again it would be preferable if it was a USB C port, for the added bandwidth). 

I don’t have a rift, nor have I used one, this is all just the general information I gathered in my pre-Quest 2 purchase research. 

• TylerYoshiTylerYoshi Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    My laptop has three USB ports, but no thunderbolts. I'm fine with the bandwidth limit though if that's my only option.
  • Howie_DoodatHowie_Doodat Posts: 86
    Hiro Protagonist
    I don’t know then. I’ve never had access to a rift, and as I said above, they explicitly state that adapters won’t work, though somebody has claimed it did for them. Seems like a risky gamble of a purchase. 
  • TylerYoshiTylerYoshi Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Where did they state that? They really oughta put something like that in bold print. I've already received mine...