cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaned lenses w/ alcohol wipes before I knew not to...

scadh
Explorer
The first week or so that I had my Quest 2, I cleaned the lenses before each session with a microfiber alcohol wipe intended for use in cleaning glasses (which also typically have plastic lenses). Only later did I learn that alcohol wipes can potentially damage the lenses. I did it perhaps 10 to 15 times. Am I likely to have wiped off some of the protective coating and/or caused other damage to the lenses?
2 REPLIES 2

PITTCANNA
Visionary

scadh said:

The first week or so that I had my Quest 2, I cleaned the lenses before each session with a microfiber alcohol wipe intended for use in cleaning glasses (which also typically have plastic lenses). Only later did I learn that alcohol wipes can potentially damage the lenses. I did it perhaps 10 to 15 times. Am I likely to have wiped off some of the protective coating and/or caused other damage to the lenses?

Iso propyal alcohol is not that storng of solvent, i don't think there is ant-scratch armor on the lenses.   I think you will be fine just don't over do it.

aguy10
Heroic Explorer
Don't be too freaked out. People have fixed their lenses with those dissolvers to fix scratches which I'm sure is way harsher. Just follow recommendations from now on.