cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Claim: Quest 2 does NOT use the full resolution, it is just upscaling

SumStranga
Honored Guest
I first had a CV1, then changed to a Rift S, which was an upgrade of less than 20% resolution:
1080>1280 hor. ~ 18,5% increase
1280>1440 ver. ~ 12,5% increase
I did not expect it, but the picture was so much better, it was incredible!

Now I changed from Rift S to Quest 2, which should be an upgrade of way more than 30% resolution:
1280>1832 hor. ~ 43,1% increase
1440>1920 ver. ~ 33,3% increase
That's why I expected a lot of improvement, at least as much as with the change from CV1 to Rift S.

What should I say, whatever I tried, I did not see ANY more detail in the picture than with the Rift S!?
I used both headsets, changed forth and back, looked at the same objects in games, for example writings on the objects.

The main problem here is:
I found no way to take a screenshot in the native solution of the headset!
The screenshot tool or the Oculus mirror won't do that, you only get scaled results, none in the real screen resolution.

So after all, it is just a claim, but from my experience: the Quest 2 picture is rendered at about the resolution of the Rift S and then upscaled.
If someone could point me to a way to take native screenshots, it would really be appreciated!
12 REPLIES 12

SumStranga
Honored Guest
... and just to make sure, as, of course, I tried everything to find a solution in the web:

it is not about the USB cable, I get a 2+Gbit test result for the connection.

and also, all the settings you can change in the Windows Oculus software and/or in the Oculus debug tool do not change anything in object detail, the only thing that ever changed something in the picture was to reduce the bitrate in the debug tool, which also does not do anything to the resolution, it just showed worse color in some surfaces.

aguy10
Heroic Explorer
There's a number of YouTubers who show through the lens the difference in clarity side by side comparisons using quest 1 and 2 with different things. Every time there's an obvious difference in clarity. So I don't know how you would dispute that?.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
If you’re talking about Quest with Link, you can set the resolution scale in the Oculus desktop app (Devices/Quest 2 menu). Setting it to 1.7 will give you native resolution on the Quest 2, but you will need a beastly GPU to drive that resolution at a playable frame rate. 

You should be able to take a screenshot by pressing the menu button and trigger at the same time, but I don’t know if it works with Link. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

SumStranga
Honored Guest
I guess you are referring to the settings in the pic, right?

No idea why you mean 1,7 would be the native Quest 2 resolution, because the Quest 2 has 3664*1920 (both eyes together).
Also, I can only set this to 1,3 at 72Hz, not 1,7 (see pic)

I think you misunderstood this setting, it is "oversampling", so it would cause a higher resolution rendering and then downscale to the Quest 2 res.

Still, the changes here don't increase the picture detail whatsoever.

739vbop6rf1b.jpg

nalex66
MVP
MVP
That's the setting I'm talking about-- it calls that resolution 1.7x if you set the frame rate to 90 Hz (it will default to a higher base resolution at lower frame rates, thus full resolution is a smaller factor, i.e. 1.3x instead of 1.7x).

Anyway, that isn't oversampling; it must always render larger than panel resolution to achieve 1:1 pixel resolution at the centre of the screen, due to the barrel distortion used to offset the lens distortion. All headsets do this--I think Rift S uses 3296x1776 as its render resolution. For Quest 2, any resolution less that 5408x2736 is actually undersampling the centre of the screen.

Whether or not you perceive any difference in the level of detail, the resolution setting here determines the resolution at which the game is rendered. Here's a Reddit thread with some Oculus devs explaining this. Also, here are the tweets being discussed in that thread.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

aguy10
Heroic Explorer
Did I completely miss the mark what this thread is about?.

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
I am lucky enough to have a relatively powerful machine and with the settings on 90Hz and 1.7 resolution, it is stunning. I admit that I went from CV1 to Quest to Quest 2, so I can't discuss directly the Rift S, but the difference between the CV1 and the Quest 2 and the Quest and Quest 2 is huge. I am especially bothered by the screen door effect, and Quest 2 is SO much better on SDE that that alone would be worth the upgrade.

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

SumStranga
Honored Guest
Ok, by setting this down to the lowest (0,7) and then to the highest (1,3) value, I saw differences in the picture, so thks for pointing me to that, and also, to put the link to the Reddit thread.

I can not set this higher than 1.5x at 90Hz, though, which shows the same final resolution as 1.3x at 72Hz (5408x2736), is setting up to 1.7x maybe automatically not available due to the technical limits of my computer?

lyzl858d1t9g.jpg

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
That is weird, your resolution is right and is the same as I get when I am on 1.7. So you are running at the "native" resolution of the Quest 2. 

When I am running at this I can keep 90Hz but I have zero headroom, so it's possible that I am dropping below in very demanding scenes (like Asgard's Wrath) with a 2080 TI, so if you have a less powerful CPU you might have to turn it down to keep 90Hz.

Do you have the Oculus Tray Tool installed? If so, you should enable the performance overlay to see if you are able to maintain 90Hz. An alternative is the Debug Tool that you do have installed (C:Program Files/Oculus/Support/oculus-diagnostics/OculusDebugTool.) Go down to Visible HUD and select performance and you'll see your rate and headroom. 

FYI, in this tool you should set your encode rate to somewhere between 350 and 500. Consensus is that after 350 visual improvements are minor so only for the most powerful GPUs. This particular setting will persist across restarts.

Hope this helps

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2