cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half-Life 2 (official) Rift support

joe
Explorer
We just shipped a beta for Half-Life 2 that includes Oculus Rift support. To get it, open the properties for HL2 in Steam by right-clicking on the name of the game in your library. Set your command line to "-vr", and opt-in to the SteamPipe beta. This should ship to everybody in a few weeks.

Edited to add:
*** NOTE! The Steam Pipe beta shipped in summer of 2013. You don't need to opt into that beta anymore. ***

This port is a bit more raw than TF2 was when it shipped, so we would appreciate hearing about any bugs you find. Just like in TF2 this mode is experimental, so we really want to hear what you think.

A few known issues:

• If you clone your desktop monitor to the Rift it won't work very well. You can work around this by picking full screen in the video options.

All of the convars are the same as they were in TF2 with two additions:
vr_viewmodel_offset_forward - Moves the viewmodel back so the elbows are harder to see and it feels more attached to your body.
vr_viewmodel_offset_forward_large - Same as vr_viewmodel_offset_forward, but for the Gravity Gun.

I find these convars to be useful in the game itself, so consider setting them:
hud_quickinfo 1
hud_fastswitch 2

Edited to add this:

The calibrator isn't up and running in HL2, but you can use the one in TF2 to generate the appropriate values. You should definitely do this to avoid eye strain and make the whole experience more pleasant.

• Run TF2 and calibrate using vr_calibration.

• Look at the vr_separation_user_inches convar and remember what it is set to

• Run HL2 and set that convar to the same value.

• Set vr_separation_toein_pixels to 0 in HL2

You should launch TF2 and run vr_calibration. See what vr_separation_user_inches is set to and set the same
1,137 REPLIES 1,137

LathspeLL
Honored Guest
I love you Valve...

Sgtbanana21
Honored Guest
Very cool, it's great to see Valve get on board with the Oculus.

smellslikeravio
Honored Guest
ahh! 😮 YES! i have to say i love you as well. 😄 now just sneak it in left4dead and i shall be a happy MAN!

Boone_x
Honored Guest
"joe" wrote:
We just shipped a beta for Half-Life 2 that includes Oculus Rift support. To get it, open the properties for HL2 in Steam, set your command line to "-vr", and opt-in to the SteamPipe beta. This should ship to everybody in a few weeks.

This is great news, any idea when rift support will be integrated with the source sdk 2007, I know there are a lot of modders out there who would love to be able to leverage the official rift support.

jack
Protege
This is really, really awesome, but is there any way to calibrate it like TF2? Things that are close to my face (like the G-Man in the intro) look "cross-eyed" to me.

Gabeb
Honored Guest
Awesome, thanks a million. Does this also apply to the Episodes?

evilSheep
Honored Guest
I've been itching to play through half-life 2 again.. glad I waited!

Neverender
Honored Guest
Pleaaase please please let this find its way into a code drop for the Source SDK or Alien Swarm SDK.

And please let my Rift show up soon.

"jack" wrote:
This is really, really awesome, but is there any way to calibrate it like TF2? Things that are close to my face (like the G-Man in the intro) look "cross-eyed" to me.

If you have a working calibration for TF2, the relevant configuration is probably in the form of cvars in your config.cfg file. You could try using a diff utility to compare your TF2 and Half-Life 2 config.cfg variables, and see if you can find the ones responsible for the Rift calibration.

(Disclaimer: I don't have a Rift yet and haven't actually tested this.)

Capyvara
Explorer
Half Life 3D confirmed! 🙂

Care to share some implementation details? any differences from the TF2 porting?

Awesome job Joe! Thanks

WormSlayer
Adventurer
Great work Joe, thanks!

@Chaoss: We are working on a mod and currently using Virieo http://imgur.com/a/wIylt