New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

[NEW beta released 2014-07-17] Welcome to Oculus

Comments

• This is fantastic ^^

If there was a german narrator, I could show this to my friends too.
    Maybe we find some other language narrators later, when the project is finishied.
  • NukemarineNukemarine Posts: 493
    Hiro Protagonist
    treytech wrote:
    The ending sequence was one of the first things I made, and it's starting to show its age. I still like the idea of the walls raising, but what they reveal needs to throw a bigger punch. Now that the game/space section is a little more flushed out, I can start to focus on the ending.

I am looking into a adding pause function, but setting the timescale to 0 doesn't stop MovieTextures. I will have to pause/resume that separately, and then things start falling out of sync. However, I hope to get some good hours in tonight or tomorrow implementing subtitles.

It's getting to be a problem of art by committee, but each version seems to top the previous one. As for the end reveal, I think you should use the Earth from space with the Oculus VR large logo. The walls of the room goes up, the floor goes down and it reveals that you've been orbiting the planet Earth the whole time. As the narration concludes, the Oculus VR logo descends into center view in between you and the Earth. If you can, add in satellites in the distant on the sides and the Moon behind the viewer to get people looking around feeling how open everything can be.

To help build the punch, put back the Slenderman area as the example for viewing videos in different locations. Make sure the only time a viewer feels he's in space is at the end reveal.

Have you considered doing more VR demos and Commercials for a variety of companies or products? Your demo here makes for a damn fine resume. It'd be good to have a portfolio of methods to demonstrate a particular product: travel location, car, breakfast cereal, credit union, board game, corporate history, etc.

Another path is create the 4D environments for existing videos or ones you've edited. You've shown this method in a creative way already. It could be another niche area for Blue Ray movies played in VR.

You started some pretty good hype so I hope you're able to continue and find a niche that's profitable and fun for you.
  • AshokAshok Posts: 59
    Hiro Protagonist
    treytech wrote:
    [*]Made the Oculus history video props come into the main room; you don't fade in and out to other rooms now during that sequence.

First off, THANK YOU so much for this amazing demo. I really loved it, and it's definitely a fantastic demo for first timers. A few comments though.

1) Imho, one of the most impressive aspects of your demo was fading in and out of the rooms in v.3, I /really/ miss that in .4. I thought it was far more exciting than just watching props pop in and out of the floor.

2) While I do like the overall "flow" better in .4, my favorite sequence of yours was the full space intro sequence in v.3, complete with the OculusVR logo and the Mission Control voice over.

Anyways, just my .02. I hope I'm not being nitpicky, your demo really blew me away (especially the arcade room). But for now, if I had to choose a version to demo at parties it would be v.3.
  • countermiccountermic Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Awesome...
    This will be the first demo i will show to people who doesn't try the oculus yet !
  • treytechtreytech Posts: 243
    Art3mis
    @Ashok

About the space scene: I really did enjoy the impact of it, but I think it could be returned to it's original glory if used as an ending sequence. The mission control audio and Oculus logo could make a return in that case. I just feel the ethos of this demo is to start small, and appreciate the fact that even a simple room materializing in front of your eyes is quite an experience. We can work our way up to the grand space ending.

As for the room switching at the first, I felt the rooms you moved to were mostly just props, which could be brought into the main room. If I'm going to take you out of the video room into other rooms, I want them to be fully realized light-mapped environments of their own, not shoddily constructed sets. Otherwise the overhead of moving the new user out of the room you just put them in isn't worth it.
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,849
    Neo
    In case you didn't notice it yet, I just realized that in your latest (4th) version of the demo the player avatar is completely dark in the gaming room.
    Art3mis
    I think the v0.4.1 version I pushed last night fixed that. There were some other nit picky things I wanted to fix as well, such as having the body and chair in the space scene, but just didn't have time.
  • jrbmjrbm Posts: 120
    Impressive! This is the best demo yet to show people trying the Rift on for the very first time. :!:

The first version - Truly awesome,
    the latest version - Truly awesome + 1000
    :)
  • ad2003ad2003 Posts: 196
    nicely done! Looks and feels great! May I ask which software do you use for voice synth - sounds very naturally.

thx

AD
    My first unity steps: In A Distance | download/post: http://goo.gl/N90bUU
    A video collection of oculus rift related stuff: http://oculus.quitebeyond.de
  • DariusDarius Posts: 177
    Brain Burst
    How can I have missed this until now? Absolutely FANTASTIC demo and a great way to do presentations in general like this. If possible you should create an option for a narrator-sound file so other languanges would be possible like Dutch, German, French etc .. or subtitles (.SRT file) perhaps? Would definitely create a Dutch translation/voiceover.
  • JasonOstbergJasonOstberg Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    All of your builds are great. Each with their own strength. Would be great to keep a link handy to all of them. Better yet, include level selection with reviews and descriptions of each build. Level selection similar to Mario64. In a room looking at pictures on a wall. One looks scary. One looks like its in space. If you look long enough it sucks you in and the journey begins.

v0.1 (Slenderman) is my favorite so far. Its good to show people right away that they don't want to play any horror games in the rift. F that.
  • Gary00Gary00 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I think is an awesome demo. I also thank you for taking the slender man part out that was a part of v0.1.

But when showing the rift to someone for the first time I still show them Blocked In. The reason for this is because they can get a full 360 degree look around even though it's a seated experience. This really makes them feel like they're in a different place and is a much more immersive experience.I feel like Welcome to Oculus is lacking this, you can look around behind you but most of the time it's a wall and you quickly want to straight forward.
    Art3mis
    I think you have a valid point with the looking behind you thing. I have seen, however, that many first time Rift adventurers don't look behind themselves until instructed to do so by the person giving them the demo. So, the demo itself would need to naturally encourage you to fully look around by doing so in the context of the story.

Do you have any ideas about how this can be accomplished, or even what neat things I could put behind the avatar in the demo?

As per the validity of showing this demo as the first Rift experience for a new user, I am not deluded enough to believe that my little demo that I made with a few weeks of Unity experience should trump a more polished demo engineered by someone whose experience far outweighs my own. It was made mainly as a prototype to show what kind of neat things could be done during an introduction, and if it holds up as a good demo on its own merits, then all the better.

I've taken a little break from this demo to give myself a rest, and to gain a fresh perspective on it. I plan to ease myself back into it by working on a good implementation of subtitles next.
  • NukemarineNukemarine Posts: 493
    Hiro Protagonist
    treytech wrote:
    I think you have a valid point with the looking behind you thing. I have seen, however, that many first time Rift adventurers don't look behind themselves until instructed to do so by the person giving them the demo. So, the demo itself would need to naturally encourage you to fully look around by doing so in the context of the story.

Do you have any ideas about how this can be accomplished, or even what neat things I could put behind the avatar in the demo?

You actually did it in part in your demo. When Abrash, and later the narrator, mentioned about a block above our heads that was when I looked up. Until he said it, I didn't notice it was lowering down on me. Add bells and whistles to the projector room, just don't mention them. In the construct, add in an robot 3 meters to the left, a long window to the right that seems to view an outside place with a robot at the end, and an robot 10 meters behind the viewer. These will begin to move as the narration occurs: "In VR, presence gives your brain a large sense of your surrounding and it is unsettling when changes occur without you knowing about it. On your right you are surprised to see an robot walking past the window (cue person walking past a large window). You notice movement to your left and turn to see the other robot walking away from you (cue person about 6 meters away walking off). Neither of these of course are as surprising as the robot that just snuck up behind you (cue person behind the player). Just as VR can inspire surprise and shock, it can inspire awe and amazement. (carry on to large website room)". The idea is all three robots are moving during the narration, and if the viewer is looking will notice it. However, first time viewers will likely not notice it until they are made aware of them. That way, on repeat viewing, it does not see like you're cheating the viewer (jump scare with a robot just popping up), they just weren't paying attention the first time.

Now with a brief hint to look around, players will look around each new environment after that if they don't already.
  • GanjaroachGanjaroach Posts: 449
    Hiro Protagonist

This is a great introductory demo for first time users, it is very informative and I loved the transitions between rooms and the objects appearing when the video was talking about them. This will definitely be the demo I use to show anyone that hasn't used the rift yet from now on. I seen some comments about slender man and I think the scare factor involved in the rift would be a very cool thing to show a first time users. The room with the TV and arcade would be great as a standalone demo to just watch movies on, I could sit and watch movies in that room instead of watching them on a monitor all day long. :) Thanks for making this, It is a great way to get people engaged into the rift with out having to break immersion by explaining everything to them while they are trying to play.

P.S. Everything was in sync when I didn't alt tab thanks for that tip!
  • NoneNone Posts: 3
    Hi.
    I love the idea, and the work...simply amazing, perfect to purpose.
    Thanks a lot.
    But i need to say...: its posible to get the "retro room with arcade and tv" to stay on it FOREVER? I SIMPLY LOVE IT.
    Its totally 80-90 nostalgia, i want to stay in there for HOURS. Please! :__)
    Thanks again and sorry my english
    Art3mis
    @None,

I'm turning that room into something akin to VR Cinema, where you can play your own video files. Should be out this week or next, since I am really busy at work currently.
  • MannyLectroMannyLectro Posts: 558
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hi ! Very nice demo !

It was nice seing my 3d model of the Rift in it ;) ! You might also want to use the rift cover for the part when Palmer shows the DK1.

I'm gonna ask you to credit me tho, since it's the only condition to use my models.
    Rift 3d models available here : viewtopic.php?t=1514
    321d7a56-bfc9-4667-85ce-3a67291aa90a.jpg
    Art3mis
    When I get a spare moment I'll be sure to give you credit.

Where can I find the model for the cover/case?
    Hiro Protagonist
    Thanks !

you can find it here :

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1514
    Art3mis
    Well crap. The DK2 announcement means I have to add that bit into the demo.
    Hiro Protagonist
    I will make a DK2 3d model before monday if you are interested ;) !
    Art3mis
    I will make a DK2 3d model before monday if you are interested ;) !

What are you using for modeling?
    Hiro Protagonist
    3ds max mostly
  • NoneNone Posts: 3
    @treytech. Thanks man! i cant wait for it! will replace my real room :))
  • silentdriversilentdriver Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    oh my god. what a great demo. I'd really, really love to do a dub in German to let my close, non-English-speaking friends, experience this really wonderful introduction to VR.

is there any way to contribute such a dub in German?
    Hiro Protagonist
    Waow ! I guess you will have a lot to add with the DK2 model and the facebook announce !
    Can't wait to see it in VR tho ;) !
    Art3mis
    I wonder if I should rename it "Welcome to Facebook" :lol:
  • TboneTbone Posts: 321
    Art3mis
    Haha, I hope the Facebook part is like a history lesson on war.

"On March 25th, 2013...tragedy struck. Known as the VR shot heard round the world, Facebook bought Oculus VR for $2 billion. The pain and rage was felt instantly. The young leader of the VR revolution, Palmer Luckey, was down voted into oblivion on Reddit. Minecraft VR was another casualty. Some consider it Oculus' darkest hour - the day they sold out. But then, like a Phoenix from the ashes, the up votes started trickling back in and word of a superior but cheaper consumer version began to make the rounds. It would be an uphill battle, but if Oculus could release the perfect VR system, it may would redeem their name and ultimately bring about the Age of VR!"
    fasig2016.jpg
    The Furious Angels
    - an Oculus Rift Online Gaming Community!
  • ad2003ad2003 Posts: 196
    please don't put the F sign in VR. It makes me feel dizzy and I get motionsickness...It makes me wanna puke...and cry...
    My first unity steps: In A Distance | download/post: http://goo.gl/N90bUU
    A video collection of oculus rift related stuff: http://oculus.quitebeyond.de