New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Zuckerberg buying Oculus VR

189101113

Comments

  • How much will fb charge for the rift?. The price for the rift is exceptional for the performance and imo one of if not the current selling point of the piece. I can see facebook charging many times what it is right now and ruining its mass appeal :lol:
  • Far515Far515 Posts: 88
    I am following Oculus since Day One in 2012, checking the news and the forum every one or two days. I describe myself as an enthusiast, who imagined a bright future for Oculus as an independent and successful company, when they would have reached CV2 or 3, but what is the first thing I read on my news page a few minutes ago? "Oculus VR has been bought by Facebook", my first thought after the shock was "Yay, free advertisement", but only a second after that I was disappointed, I can't describe how much and it would blow this thread if I would.

    I clicked the article and read about it. Zuckerberg describes HIS "Future" of VR and HIS vision of Games etc.... I nearly vomited.

    To bring this to an end. I am sad and disappointed. By Oculus, Nate, Iribe , but mainly Palmer, you always sounded like a nice guy with the best plan to bring VR back alive and make the future happen, but after that I can only say that I don't give a fuck about your ideas anymore, you obviously chose money over your ideals. :(

    The only thing I already read was, that you tried to justify it by saying "I chose the best way to bring VR to everyone", I say, that you have chosen the worst, you should have taken the hard way and reach popularity by good work and patience until CV2 or later.

    Ps.: I hope time will prove me wrong, nevertheless you have lost a real and loyal supporter......
    i7 4770K @4,4 GHz
    GTX 780 SC (EVGA)
    32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866
  • GzhindraGzhindra Posts: 64
    If this takes even a tiny bit of freedom in the way the end user will be able to use the product: Forced Facebook apps, mandatory store to get compatible softwares or stuffs like "no porn" policy and I will be out of this for good.

    I think it an overall bad move as they are now stained by Facebook and I fear it will hurt the sales of the product in its early stage.

    Let's see what Sony does. I'm not holding much hope from them too though.
  • EdudjrEdudjr Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    Gzhindra wrote:
    If this takes even a tiny bit of freedom in the way the end user will be able to use the product: Forced Facebook apps...
    Did you have to install any facebook app to use the website?
  • GzhindraGzhindra Posts: 64
    Edudjr wrote:
    Gzhindra wrote:
    If this takes even a tiny bit of freedom in the way the end user will be able to use the product: Forced Facebook apps...
    Did you have to install any facebook app to use the website?

    Sorry I don't get how your remark is relevant? And I'm not being sarcastic.
  • EdudjrEdudjr Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    Gzhindra wrote:
    Edudjr wrote:
    Gzhindra wrote:
    If this takes even a tiny bit of freedom in the way the end user will be able to use the product: Forced Facebook apps...
    Did you have to install any facebook app to use the website?

    Sorry I don't get how your remark is relevant? And I'm not being sarcastic.

    My point is: facebook doesn't force you to install any kind of apps, it doesn't force you to share things. Why would they do this now?
  • VinVin Posts: 874
    Brain Burst
    Edudjr wrote:
    My point is: facebook doesn't force you to install any kind of apps, it doesn't force you to share things. Why would they do this now?

    That's not entirely true. When you go to most sites, they will automatically load a Like button that tracks you regardless of if you have a Facebook account or not, and report your usage history to Facebook. They've been forcing their reporting structure on you as a user without your consent for years now.
  • GzhindraGzhindra Posts: 64
    Edudjr wrote:
    Did you have to install any facebook app to use the website?
    Gzhindra wrote:
    Sorry I don't get how your remark is relevant? And I'm not being sarcastic.

    My point is: facebook doesn't force you to install any kind of apps, it doesn't force you to share things. Why would they do this now?

    Facebook doesn't own my Hardware. Nobody does.
    When someone use an apple product, aren't they forced to use apple softwares? I mean without hacking and stuff.
  • SolsticeSolstice Posts: 41
    Aaaaaalright...

    For me to actually make the effort to post on such a controversial subject ist quite unuasual as i am a lazy person xD
    However my passion for VR takes over my laziness here :P

    So lets all take a deep breath, take a step back and look at this situation.

    The news came pretty much out of nowhere and I, as probably most people, had a bad feeling hearing about this.
    However here are a few things I thought about and so came to the conclusion that this is probably a good thing after all.

    First off...

    I think we really need to distinguish between Facebook as a company and Facebook the social media platform.
    Most complaints I read about went into the direction of: omg facebook ads popping up during every one of my games!

    This, in my honest opinion, is very much unlikely. tThat would kill off any gaming platform because it would be annoying as hell.
    People would be driven away from the device at the speed of light.
    Yeah Facebook made some decisions that i don't agree with and some that where in my opinion really bad, but they are not stupid.

    What i think would be more likely, is a social media platform, however it may look like, utalizing the oculus rift. Facebook VR Edition if you will.
    Kinda second life-ish maybe or whatever, just to put a picture to my hazy wording here ;)
    And yes, on this specific platform you would have a login and you would probably have ads somehow integrated in this virtual environment.
    Think VR Chat - just magnitudes larger.
    But that would not in any way interfere or interact with other games and software.

    Second:

    I think we also should distinguish between VR as a medium and Oculus.
    I know it's hard because Oculus was the only player in the VR space for two years now, but Oculus is not a synonym for VR as a medium.

    Let's face it...people are always rooting for the underdog. With Facebook in the game Oculus isn't an underdog anymore going up against huge companies and I can see why some people don't like this.

    BUT: VR as a medium is still very much an underdog. Hell we haven't even got a finished product for it yet.
    I personally am rooting for VR as medium to be a success and with the massive amount of money Facebook has, this has become waaaay more likely, much
    faster than I ever thought could be possible.

    My third point:

    Well I make this a short one i guess: Instagram - acquired by facebook - no ads popping up in your face constantly.
    An example of a company that still works independetly after being bought by Facebook.
    (Yeah i know this could change in the future, but if anyone could see into the future we also would have flying cars by now right? :D )

    On to the fourth point!

    Well the obvious one - Oculus now has a lot more possibilities in terms of custom hardware, publishing deals, the list goes on and on.

    So as you see, i think there are a lot of positives here. Mind you I am also still a bit sceptical about this, but i'd be damned if i wouldnt't give Oculus a chance and see how things turn out.
    Things for VR are just getting started and they are going to be very intresting and developing a whole lot faster due the involvement of Facebook.

    And before any more F*** you posts react to my post, as i have seen it with many ohers happen - You are free to dislike the decision by Oculus and fully entitled to your opinion.
    Just please don't insult people because they think this could turn out pretty well, thank you :-)

    I hope i understandably got my point across since english is not my mouther tounge^^
    Holy crap this actually turned out to be my longest post to something ever xD
  • owenwpowenwp Posts: 681 Oculus Start Member
    edited March 2014
    Vin wrote:
    Edudjr wrote:
    My point is: facebook doesn't force you to install any kind of apps, it doesn't force you to share things. Why would they do this now?

    That's not entirely true. When you go to most sites, they will automatically load a Like button that tracks you regardless of if you have a Facebook account or not, and report your usage history to Facebook. They've been forcing their reporting structure on you as a user without your consent for years now.

    No, they don't force that on anyone. The website developer has to go out of their way to put like buttons on their pages, and they do it because their users want them to. Are you planning to put like buttons in your games? Because Oculus doesn't need to be in any way involved with FB for you to do so, you could do it right now.
  • DieKatzchenDieKatzchen Posts: 177
    Brain Burst
    The way I see it, facebook wants to be the Metaverse, so that they can stay relevant. But first VR needs to be successful, and it needs to be successful /fast/, before facebook implodes on itself. So they're investing in infrastructure. Plain and simple. Maybe in a decade they'll look at Oculus and say "how can we leverage our investment into ad revenue?" but I won't care in a decade. By that time there will be any number of competitors that I can switch to.

    Also, CV1 will almost certainly be open simply because the fundamental design of the current hardware forces it to be. They've already revealed so much of the secret sauce that they would have to start over from scratch to lock it down in any appreciable way. facebook may have a history of questionable ethics, but they wouldn't throw away all the research that they basically just paid for, just to generate bad PR.
  • The way I see it, facebook wants to be the Metaverse
    Spot on in my view and they bring scale. Oculus gaming is exciting, Metaverse more so.
  • DarcanisDarcanis Posts: 446
    Art3mis
    People afraid of change and the unknown:

    Fire and brimstone coming down from the sky! Rivers and seas boiling!
    Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes!
    The dead rising from the grave!
    Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

    Me as a developer and objective observer of technology:

    Hummm I wonder how this will help with multiplayer and integrated social interaction within my future games and projects? Now I might not have to build my own services to provide those features!

    This means a larger audience for my creations.

    Adoption of the technology should be 100,000x what it would have been meaning bringing my product to potentially over a billion new customers! This equals a bigger return on my investment! *Cha-ching!*

    This means they can have custom screen and other parts made cheaper instead of waiting for castoffs from the cell phone market! This means better and cheaper screens and cheaper product!

    If the screw it up somehow down the line (which I doubt) I’ll just swap out the SDK for a different VR solution like PS4, Xbox One, Valve, etc… Either way Oculus kickstarted the whole VR revolution and it will be the next big thing.

    No matter how you look at it VR was always going to be a big part of Social Networks in the future as well as gaming and entertainment. This isn’t a huge surprise and done properly will only serve to make VR better due to the huge warchest they now have for development and production.
    Fire and brimstone coming down from the sky! Rivers and seas boiling!
    Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes!
    The dead rising from the grave!
    Facebook buying the Oculus Rift!
    Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!
  • EdudjrEdudjr Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    owenwp wrote:
    Vin wrote:
    Edudjr wrote:
    My point is: facebook doesn't force you to install any kind of apps, it doesn't force you to share things. Why would they do this now?

    That's not entirely true. When you go to most sites, they will automatically load a Like button that tracks you regardless of if you have a Facebook account or not, and report your usage history to Facebook. They've been forcing their reporting structure on you as a user without your consent for years now.

    No, they don't force that on anyone. The website developer has to go out of their way to put like buttons on their pages, and they do it because their users want them to. Are you planning to put like buttons in your games? Because Oculus doesn't need to be in any way involved with FB for you to do so, you could do it right now.

    Exactly. Also, the like button itself doesn't "track" anyone, unless you are logged to facebook and click on it.
  • EdudjrEdudjr Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    Totally agree with Solstice.
  • FengShuiEngineFengShuiEngine Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    edited March 2014
    Facebook owns Instagram. I found that out today and had no idea before. They've owned it for 2 years so far and you wouldn't be able to tell from visiting that website; there's no Facebook branding anywhere and you don't need a Facebook account to make an Instagram account. It's just a completely separate entity. I've yet to see Facebook branding anywhere in Whatsapp either. You know the only place I've seen tons of Facebook branding, Facebook adverts and compulsory Facebook logins? Facebook.

    Say what you will about Mark Zuckerberg, but he's not an idiot. He's a smart business man and is not about to piss $2 billion down the drain by making poor business decisions. Facebook has ads plastered all over it because it's a free service. Ad revenue is how Facebook makes money (primarily). People will be spending roughly $300 on Oculus Rift kits. Since when is it smart business to make people pay for ads?

    Because of this news, millions of people who had no idea what Oculus Rift was are now aware of its existence. With that much exposure and the potential of making even more un-godly sums of money, they aren't just going to start idly yanking their dicks around. They already have proven prototypes and now they have the resources to manufacture cost-effective custom hardware, rather than scavenging for parts as they were originally doing. Had FB not acquired Oculus, I believe that the consumer version would've had a similar spec to the DK2. Palmer Lucky said on Reddit how part of the deal was to allow them to produce higher spec/quality hardware at a lower cost. The hardware will definitely benefit from this deal.

    People believe that because of this deal, Oculus have lost all creative control. That isn't necessarily the case. Oculus wouldn't have gone into this thing blind, they would have (or should have, rather) set up contractual terms to retain creative control and prevent the company from being torn apart. Remember, Oculus didn't need to be acquired; the company wasn't in financial trouble and interest in the Oculus Rift and VR was growing by the day. Profit forecasts for the company would've likely shown very favourably. The ball was, therefore, in Oculus's court. Zuckerberg wanted a piece of the VR pie and needed to appease them, not the other way around. Yes, $2 billion will go a long way, but I believe $2 billion could have easily been made by Oculus within a few years. When Disney bought Lucasfilm, they didn't just pay George Lucas $4 billion and call it a day. The agreement included terms to protect the brand George had spent decades of his life building and allow him to be part of the future creative process to a certain degree. It's called contractual negotiations for a reason; it's never a completely one sided affair.

    I'm not saying this doesn't have the potential to go completely tits up, but there are certainly aspects about this deal to be optimistic about.
  • goettelgoettel Posts: 289
    It seems clear that a lot of people whining about this haven't read any of the responses by Palmer, Carmack et al. Try to substitute short-sighted conjecture with actual READING, and do try to recognize that being self-entitled, hate-filled and confused little whiners just makes you look foolish.

    -Please- by all means cancel any pre-order you made, others are waiting in line to take advantage of your small-mindedness.

    And no I'm not talking about people having well reasoned concerns over all this, I'm one of them. Just chill out and give the Oculus guys a chance to show us all whether this is the right way forward. If you can't muster that, at least show some respect - or at the very least stop acting like pricks. Geez... :roll:
  • SnazzyDSnazzyD Posts: 26
    http://news.yahoo.com/100-million-worth-ads-headed-instagram-feed-030029297.html

    I'm sorry - what were you saying about Instagram not being touched? I couldn't hear for all the millions of ads headed its way...
  • SolsticeSolstice Posts: 41
    Still...it's pretty much impossible to force EA, Ubisoft, Konami, Indie Devs, insert video game company here to put Facebook Ads into their games. They just wouldn't release the game on that platform if they had to put ads everywhere, which would kill the platform, which in the end would cost Facebook money.

    It is however possible, as i wrote on the page before, that there will be a Facebook - Second life Style, or something like a VR chat from Facebook itself. VR Aps from Facebook.
    And yeah...i am fine with ads on these platforms...doesn't bother me nor will it influence the games i will be playing with the rift.
  • SnazzyD wrote:
    http://news.yahoo.com/100-million-worth-ads-headed-instagram-feed-030029297.html

    I'm sorry - what were you saying about Instagram not being touched? I couldn't hear for all the millions of ads headed its way...

    It's how things always start. A company will buy a product/company and say oh nothing is going to change. A year later is when the change slowly starts to creep up down the road.
  • Far515Far515 Posts: 88
    palmerluckey 24 Punkte 26 Tagen zuvor

    Thanks guys! The real thanks should go to the entire VR community, including everyone who works at Oculus. We are all in this together, and virtual reality has been brought back into the spotlight by your powers combined. We have a long way to go.

    If I ever screw up, make sure to let me know!

    I think this will be my last posts for a long time.

    I am just sad right now, Oculus didn't need FB to "kickstart" *oh the irony* VR. They were on the best way to become a big and independent company with an solid userbase and loyal community, worth 10 times more than just 2 billions. They funded 100 Millions in the last year and Palmer couldn't be so naive (or could he?), to sell HIS company to FB just for the "FB-userbase" or Zuckerbergs vision of global VR.

    The truth is, that FB will rebrand Oculus, not today, not tomorrow, but definetly the day after tomorrow. Think of all the companies who sold themselves to much bigger companies (That's what Oculus did, it's not a PARTNERSHIP) and went off screen soon after. It is an endless list. Palmer lied to everyone or just himself, when he talked about his dream for Oculus in the last 18 months . (Independent, Open for everyone, uncomplicated, as cheap as possible or even free etc.) All gone.

    I don't care how good Facebook will act in the future. I will always think about "What could have been without them? Would Oculus and Valve have teamed up?" We will never know....... :cry:
    i7 4770K @4,4 GHz
    GTX 780 SC (EVGA)
    32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866
  • EdudjrEdudjr Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    They were on the best way to become a big and independent company
    What is the difference being a 'independent company' (no company is independent) is this case?
    You seem to much attached to the company/owners and not really to the best for the technology. Would they be able to deliver a cheaper product without this acquisition? Would their product became better without the money that they have now? And about the companies that 'went off screen', the life-cycle of the technology-based companies today is decreasing, thats natural in this industry. Of course that's not the case with all of them, but anyway, I don't see your point there.
    For instance, let's remember when Palmer said to us that the screen display was still unpredictable because they didn't have "numbers" yet to deal with the big industry of displays. Now they have the numbers, now they can deal with the big guys out there and bring us a better and cheaper product.
  • NemoremNemorem Posts: 16
    Darcanis wrote:
    People afraid of change and the unknown:

    Actually Facebook is not even close to be that "unknown" you spoke off. It is a threat very well known for things like changing polycies on a wimp, crappy design, no support, addvertising up your a**, data mining on customers and deniers alike. Let's face it. With age there comes denial to the unknown, but that's not the issue here, different audience. Most people here know exactly who they fear.
  • tzuvelatzuvela Posts: 205
    Art3mis
    We haven't changed our plans. DK2 is still coming, and the consumer Rift is going to be even better. It's an exciting time to be part of VR, whether it's coming from Oculus or Facebook. This deal only brings us closer to attaining or original dream for VR. I think that's going to be a win for developers and consumers alike.

    Hi cyberreality,

    There is one more thing I wanted to mention:
    (9.01 is when the fun starts)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NwG7OkREOQ#t=541

    Can you comment why you've changed your mind? Oh yes 2 billions.
    For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.
    Richard Feynman
  • franticfrantic Posts: 106
    Art3mis
    I'm so depressed right now :(
    Going to bed, good night :cry:
  • KhechariKhechari Posts: 104
    NerveGear
    goettel wrote:
    It seems clear that a lot of people whining about this haven't read any of the responses by Palmer, Carmack et al.
    No offense, but those responses don't mean anything. They all sound canned. It's not like they're even able to say "ya, in retrospect, we kinda rushed into the Facebook contract pretty quickly, so I hope our Lawyers did a good job for us because we have some of the same concerns as everyone else." They're going to say exactly what they're saying right now, true or not, because that's how Public Relations is done.
  • DieKatzchenDieKatzchen Posts: 177
    Brain Burst
    Khechari wrote:
    No offense, but those responses don't mean anything. They all sound canned. It's not like they're even able to say "ya, in retrospect, we kinda rushed into the Facebook contract pretty quickly, so I hope our Lawyers did a good job for us because we have some of the same concerns as everyone else." They're going to say exactly what they're saying right now, true or not, because that's how Public Relations is done.

    Yes, but the thing about canned PR speak is that the lawyers have already gone over it and they're allowed to say it. Which means it's the truth. If Palmer says that you won't need a facebook account, then you better believe that it's in the contract.
  • Khechari wrote:
    No offense, but those responses don't mean anything. They all sound canned. It's not like they're even able to say "ya, in retrospect, we kinda rushed into the Facebook contract pretty quickly, so I hope our Lawyers did a good job for us because we have some of the same concerns as everyone else." They're going to say exactly what they're saying right now, true or not, because that's how Public Relations is done.

    Yes, but the thing about canned PR speak is that the lawyers have already gone over it and they're allowed to say it. Which means it's the truth. If Palmer says that you won't need a facebook account, then you better believe that it's in the contract.
    Well of course you won't NEED, but they will later add the option is all and other things that won't be an option so much.
  • DieKatzchenDieKatzchen Posts: 177
    Brain Burst
    Yeah, and by then there will be a dozen competitors and I can switch to one of them. I'm more loyal to VR than to Oculus, and if facebook's money can launch VR into the mainstream, I have no problem with using them until they outlive their usefulness to me.
  • przecinekprzecinek Posts: 596
    Nexus 6
    Sawersadam wrote:
    The way I see it, facebook wants to be the Metaverse
    Spot on in my view and they bring scale. Oculus gaming is exciting, Metaverse more so.

    +1 Metaverse is the real deal here
Sign In or Register to comment.