Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zuckerberg buying Oculus VR

Anonymous
Not applicable
Guys, this is really huge: Facebook is buying Oculus:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/25/5547456/facebook-buying-oculus-for-2-billion

I am really surprised by this new, since it is quite a different market (or not?).

Anyway, huge CONGRATS to the Oculus Team!
396 REPLIES 396

Far515
Honored Guest
palmerluckey 24 Punkte 26 Tagen zuvor

Thanks guys! The real thanks should go to the entire VR community, including everyone who works at Oculus. We are all in this together, and virtual reality has been brought back into the spotlight by your powers combined. We have a long way to go.

If I ever screw up, make sure to let me know!

I think this will be my last posts for a long time.

I am just sad right now, Oculus didn't need FB to "kickstart" *oh the irony* VR. They were on the best way to become a big and independent company with an solid userbase and loyal community, worth 10 times more than just 2 billions. They funded 100 Millions in the last year and Palmer couldn't be so naive (or could he?), to sell HIS company to FB just for the "FB-userbase" or Zuckerbergs vision of global VR.

The truth is, that FB will rebrand Oculus, not today, not tomorrow, but definetly the day after tomorrow. Think of all the companies who sold themselves to much bigger companies (That's what Oculus did, it's not a PARTNERSHIP) and went off screen soon after. It is an endless list. Palmer lied to everyone or just himself, when he talked about his dream for Oculus in the last 18 months . (Independent, Open for everyone, uncomplicated, as cheap as possible or even free etc.) All gone.

I don't care how good Facebook will act in the future. I will always think about "What could have been without them? Would Oculus and Valve have teamed up?" We will never know....... :cry:
i7 4770K @4,4 GHz GTX 780 SC (EVGA) 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866

Edudjr
Honored Guest
They were on the best way to become a big and independent company

What is the difference being a 'independent company' (no company is independent) is this case?
You seem to much attached to the company/owners and not really to the best for the technology. Would they be able to deliver a cheaper product without this acquisition? Would their product became better without the money that they have now? And about the companies that 'went off screen', the life-cycle of the technology-based companies today is decreasing, thats natural in this industry. Of course that's not the case with all of them, but anyway, I don't see your point there.
For instance, let's remember when Palmer said to us that the screen display was still unpredictable because they didn't have "numbers" yet to deal with the big industry of displays. Now they have the numbers, now they can deal with the big guys out there and bring us a better and cheaper product.

Nemorem
Honored Guest
"Darcanis" wrote:
People afraid of change and the unknown:

Actually Facebook is not even close to be that "unknown" you spoke off. It is a threat very well known for things like changing polycies on a wimp, crappy design, no support, addvertising up your a**, data mining on customers and deniers alike. Let's face it. With age there comes denial to the unknown, but that's not the issue here, different audience. Most people here know exactly who they fear.

tzuvela
Protege
"cybereality" wrote:
We haven't changed our plans. DK2 is still coming, and the consumer Rift is going to be even better. It's an exciting time to be part of VR, whether it's coming from Oculus or Facebook. This deal only brings us closer to attaining or original dream for VR. I think that's going to be a win for developers and consumers alike.

Hi cyberreality,

There is one more thing I wanted to mention:
(9.01 is when the fun starts)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NwG7OkREOQ#t=541

Can you comment why you've changed your mind? Oh yes 2 billions.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. Richard Feynman

frantic
Protege
I'm so depressed right now 😞
Going to bed, good night :cry:

Khechari
Explorer
"goettel" wrote:
It seems clear that a lot of people whining about this haven't read any of the responses by Palmer, Carmack et al.

No offense, but those responses don't mean anything. They all sound canned. It's not like they're even able to say "ya, in retrospect, we kinda rushed into the Facebook contract pretty quickly, so I hope our Lawyers did a good job for us because we have some of the same concerns as everyone else." They're going to say exactly what they're saying right now, true or not, because that's how Public Relations is done.

DieKatzchen
Honored Guest
"Khechari" wrote:
No offense, but those responses don't mean anything. They all sound canned. It's not like they're even able to say "ya, in retrospect, we kinda rushed into the Facebook contract pretty quickly, so I hope our Lawyers did a good job for us because we have some of the same concerns as everyone else." They're going to say exactly what they're saying right now, true or not, because that's how Public Relations is done.

Yes, but the thing about canned PR speak is that the lawyers have already gone over it and they're allowed to say it. Which means it's the truth. If Palmer says that you won't need a facebook account, then you better believe that it's in the contract.

SonyWinsVR
Honored Guest
"DieKatzchen" wrote:
"Khechari" wrote:

Yes, but the thing about canned PR speak is that the lawyers have already gone over it and they're allowed to say it. Which means it's the truth. If Palmer says that you won't need a facebook account, then you better believe that it's in the contract.

Well of course you won't NEED, but they will later add the option is all and other things that won't be an option so much.

DieKatzchen
Honored Guest
Yeah, and by then there will be a dozen competitors and I can switch to one of them. I'm more loyal to VR than to Oculus, and if facebook's money can launch VR into the mainstream, I have no problem with using them until they outlive their usefulness to me.

przecinek
Rising Star
"Sawersadam" wrote:
"DieKatzchen" wrote:
The way I see it, facebook wants to be the Metaverse
Spot on in my view and they bring scale. Oculus gaming is exciting, Metaverse more so.

+1 Metaverse is the real deal here