cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stereoscopic Player (2D/3D image/video player)

pwimmer
Honored Guest
Hi!

I've added support for the Oculus Rift in Stereoscopic Player version 2.0.5. The current implementation allows to watch 2D and 3D images and videos on the Rift. Headtracking is not supported yet, I'll add it later when I have access to a Rift for testing. I had no chance to test this release on a real device, thus I would be happy to get some feedback, especially if you notice bugs.

To download the Stereoscopic Player, go to http://www.3dtv.at/Downloads. After the installation, run it and click View|Viewing Method|Oculus Rift. Next, load some 2D or 3D media file and click View|Full Screen Mode (Scaled). Although the player displays a distorted image in windowed mode, too, you will perceive a correct image in full screen mode only.

By default no pixels of the content are cropped. Unfortunately, this results in a large black border, especially with widescreen content. Press Ctrl+Alt+Enter to switch to the "non-fit" fullscreen mode that allows to set the zoom level with Alt+1, Alt+2, Alt+3 and so on.

Stereoscopic content is typically recorded with camera toe-in or the parallax is corrected in post. On the Rift such content would result in diverging eye axis and cause eyestrain. Consequently, the player compensates 2% positive parallax which is fine for most content. If your content exceeds 2% positive parallax you can use the left/right arrow keys to adjust the parallax.
64 REPLIES 64

Anonymous
Not applicable
"pwimmer" wrote:
"wblanchette" wrote:
Any chance of support for panorama images from the iPhone 5 and photosphere equipped Android devices?

How do these panorama images differ from normal images? Once headtracking is implemented these panoramas should work, too. Or did I miss anything?

They're full 360 degree spherical images (an android example), so I assume there would need to be some processing done to "unwrap" them for display.

Nick3DvB
Honored Guest
Thanks for adding Rift support so quickly Peter, I was planning on using the basic SBS mode and having to pre-warp all the videos with avisynth, but that would not have been fast enough for real-time use. I think even basic head-tracking will be an important addition, your brain really doesn’t expect the "screen" to come with you when you move you head, many Sony HMZ users have said they find it profoundly unpleasant. I did some experiments last year using SVP to add “Ambi-light” boarders to videos:

http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Setting_up ... pic_Player
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... 825#p86825

Rift samples:
https://rapidshare.com/files/2245506381/SBS_3D.mkv
https://rapidshare.com/files/4200273682/SBS2_3D.mkv

I thought it might be a good solution for the Rift when viewing standard aspect-ratio movies as it would make some use of the “wasted” FOV and might help with immersion. Locking the boarder to the head-tracking and panning that frame over a slightly zoomed-in 3D video bellow might also be an interesting effect. We need some tracking freedom but for standard content that’s difficult without having to zoom / crop the original video too much, a virtual cinema is one solution, there must be some others?

Skylead
Honored Guest
Does this work with nVision as well or just Rift? I am at work right now so I can't test my devices until later, but I would love to have a good 3D player for nVision as well (the default player doesn't have good file type support and VLC seems to have stopped supporting it.

biolizard89
Honored Guest
"pwimmer" wrote:
The 2% correction is hardcoded at the moment. The parallax adjustment partially allows to un-do it, but the image is cropped a bit.

So I guess I'm not familiar enough with the GUI, do I need to press the Left or the Right key, and how many times do I need to tap that key for it to be equivalent to no correction?

It'd be awesome to see the 2% correction be made optional. (I've been a registered user since 2011, your product is awesome.)

cr
Honored Guest
This works great.

I could see this being useful on aeroplanes, for watching videos privately, and cutting out all the surrounding light.

Also, nice idea Nick3DvB, with the simulated ambient lighting.

IsoMacintosh
Explorer
WOW
FINALLY I CAN HAVE A MOVIE PLAYER WHICH IS COMPLETELY USELESS FOR WATCHING FOREIGN MOVIES. ALSO NOT HAVING SUPPORT FOR FILES WITH MULTIPLE AUDIO TRACKS IS WAY COOL.

AND ONLY 40 EUROS. WHAT A DEAL.

Karlgamer
Explorer
"IsoMacintosh" wrote:
WOW
FINALLY I CAN HAVE A MOVIE PLAYER WHICH IS COMPLETELY USELESS FOR WATCHING FOREIGN MOVIES. ALSO NOT HAVING SUPPORT FOR FILES WITH MULTIPLE AUDIO TRACKS IS WAY COOL.

Dude, what is with the caps?

IsoMacintosh
Explorer
"Karlgamer" wrote:
"IsoMacintosh" wrote:
WOW

Dude, what is with the caps?

i blame the peppermint liquor.
But i really find it a ripoff to ask 40 euros for a player without subtitle support or the multiple audio support. it has been in developement for 10 years and still misses those basic features.
its actually sad because otherwise this player seems perfect.

AnotherAtreyu
Protege
"IsoMacintosh" wrote:

i blame the peppermint liquor.

Dude, mayhaps you need to lay off the peppermint liquor a bit (although it is rather good). All but one of your 8 posts so far are either you complaining or putting somebody's work down.

Pwimmer and other developers are going out of their way to try to bring an interesting experience to everybody, and all you do is rip on what you don't like. Have you ever thought about constructive criticism?

I think this project looks awesome, and I understand that it is a WIP. Once the tracking and border issues are figured out I think this could really be something great. 🙂
“If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.” (~I really gotta remember this shiz~) ― Yogi Bhajan

IsoMacintosh
Explorer
"HappyHimitsu" wrote:

Dude, mayhaps you need to lay off the peppermint liquor a bit (although it is rather good). All but one of your 8 posts so far are either you complaining or putting somebody's work down.

i complain when there is reason to complain.

"HappyHimitsu" wrote:
Pwimmer and other developers are going out of their way to try to bring an interesting experience to everybody, and all you do is rip on what you don't like. Have you ever thought about constructive criticism?

I think this project looks awesome, and I understand that it is a WIP. Once the tracking and border issues are figured out I think this could really be something great. 🙂

i just find it offensive to ask money for a player that misses ESSENTIAL features that are available on free players. what should i do when i want to watch anime for example?