cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Danah Boyd Female Sim Sickness Attack of Feminists?

cleverusername
Explorer
I warned Palmer as his celebrity increased, perhaps the feminists would come after him! As his VISION and DREAM alienated the POWER so many women do have over men. Not arguing wether it is right or wrong, just how nature instilled that in us over millions of years to keep the species going seems to be a fact.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5473&p=75024&hilit=feminazi#p75024

I feel sorry for the women in the world, who have been able to get governments worldwide to entitle them to all kinds of benefits and resources, but if I man can get his freak on without all that drama, the females on this planet lose a lot of their power and leverage. I had a truck driver friend that bought a couple real dolls and started pimping them out on his route, one woman came looking for him because her truck driver boyfriend dumped her and bought a real doll. She was gonna kill him, society is so fragile, we have to be careful when the rift and VR sex starts breaking up marriages and families and relationships. I have seen thier ultimate form in divorce court! I can see Gloria Stienhem putting out a feminazi hit on whatever man developed this VR stuff, Palmer assures everyone it was him!! (You hear that all you feminazis, Palmer assures me he is the one that empowered men with VR to stop giving you any resources/attention - blame him - no one else) Palmer, hell hath no fury like a woman scorned!! I pity you bro! 😉

Well my pal James O'REilly over at facebook (yah I use it) just sent me this:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/association.virtualworlds/10152274690052207/?notif_t=group_activity

http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2014/03/vr-sexism-oculus-rift-danah-boyd.html#more
Is the Oculus Rift sexist?
By danah boyd March 28, 2014
danah boyd is a principal researcher at Microsoft Research, a research assistant professor at New York University, and a fellow at Harvard's Berkman Center.

But just yesterday, New World Notes writer Janine Hawkins told me this: "I'm very sensitive to motion sickness so I've always sort of written off the Oculus Rift as a thing I won't really be able to make use of." And if her sensitivity extends to most women, we all need to step back and look at this problem at a fundamental level. Because if VR is apt to make half the world's population sick, its future is very much in doubt.

LOL! BAZINGA! I TOLD YOU SO! LOL! BWAHAHA! MSFT girl no less! Jaron Lanier check yo colleagues!

Over the next few years, I embarked on one of the strangest cross-disciplinary projects I’ve ever worked on. I ended up in a gender clinic in Utrecht, in the Netherlands, interviewing both male-to-female and female-to-male transsexuals as they began hormone therapy. Many reported experiencing strange visual side effects. Like adolescents going through puberty, they’d reach for doors—only to miss the door knob. But unlike adolescents, the length of their arms wasn’t changing—only their hormonal composition.

Scholars in the gender clinic were doing fascinating research on tasks like spatial rotation skills. They found that people taking androgens (a steroid hormone similar to testosterone) improved at tasks that required them to rotate Tetris-like shapes in their mind to determine if one shape was simply a rotation of another shape. Meanwhile, male-to-female transsexuals saw a decline in performance during their hormone replacement therapy.

Along the way, I also learned that there are more sex hormones on the retina than in anywhere else in the body except for the gonads. Studies on macular degeneration showed that hormone levels mattered for the retina. But why? And why would people undergoing hormonal transitions struggle with basic depth-based tasks?

http://qz.com/192874/is-the-oculus-rift-designed-to-be-sexist/#/h/57423,2,3/

Don't Worry Palmer, I am backing you 1000% on this one, and my pal Peter is too! 😉

So will you developers have to have an option for wether you are displaying for male, female, certain amount of hormone of whatever on the retina, etc to EQUALIZE this brave new world for all? 😉

http://www.themixagency.com/blog/2014/3/28/tech-news-in-themix-for-vr-to-succeed-developers-must-add...

When I was a writer at Linden Lab, danah and I often attended the same conferences, and I recall her raising related concerns around the 3D virtual world Second Life, which was first launched as a VR application, and was experiencing a media hype wave back then. Her skepticism around Second Life was borne out, because as she predicted at the time, “honestly, I don’t think we’re going virtual.”

We hope everyone at Oculus Rift and other VR companies take her current concerns to heart, investigate whether women really do generally experience nausea and motion sickness in virtual reality -- and communicate their findings.

http://www.zephoria.org/thoughts/archives/2006/12/15/on_being_virtua.html
That’s the big joke about the social media explosion. 1980s and 1990s researchers argued that the Internet would make race, class, gender, etc. extinct. There was a huge assumption that geography and language would no longer matter, that social organization would be based on some higher function. Guess what? When the masses adopted social media, they replicated the same social structures present in the offline world. Hell, take a look at how people from India are organizing themselves by caste on Orkut. Nothing gets erased because it’s all connected to the offline bodies that are heavily regulated on a daily basis.
While social network sites and mobile phones are technology to adults, they are just part of the social infrastructure for teens. Remember what Alan Kay said? “Technology is anything that wasn’t around when you were born.” These technologies haven’t been adopted as an alternative to meatspace; they’ve been adopted to complement it.

Ged
December 16th, 2006 at 4:02 am
If we think about this from a people and personality point of view as as well, looking at a Jungian based measure like the Myer Briggs Type Indicator shows how people have differnet information preferences and are likely to want to interact with information, their world and each other in different ways.

Virtual worlds by their very nature will lend themselves to some personalities rather than others. This supports your argument that the world won’t go virtual
mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4123 I am looking into that LEEP VR I lack practical 3d knowledge, I have found some good links, but I am not sure if they are the ones you were talking about. Would you mind direct linking me to them? :oops:
79 REPLIES 79

Hadwell
Honored Guest
yeah this is a retarded topic... there's plenty of videos on youtube of women using the rift, and i don't see any of them getting sick and as far as i know the top of peoples heads (where the oculus sits) is pretty much the same for everyone

etc.. etc..

Ibrinar
Honored Guest
@Disdroid: As far as I can tell from the opening post, the subject is that cleverusername has a problem with feminists and fears that they will attack the product because some researcher suspects that woman have a harder time using them and because of some ramblings about virtual sex taking the power of woman away. But I think it is the most practical to just ignore most of what he says and discuss what you suggested.

Following the link the experimental basis seems to be this http://www.danah.org/papers/sexvision.pdf?_ga=1.77810070.380978123.1395512961 so two experiments one with 10 persons and one with 20 persons and the individual differences in both groups are quite large. And the Author took herself out of the statistics because she suspected that experience plays a role. (And I might have missed it but I think she didn't really compensate for experience in her experiment.) Not uninteresting but I wouldn't put too much weight on it without additional experimental support.
Also, it isn't directly about woman having more simulator sickness problems. As far as I can tell that idea comes from a army research footnote which isn't provided or linked (and because she herself has simulator sickness problems).
Well with more interest in VR such research will come.

cleverusername
Explorer
Ignore me Ibrinar, That's fine. But this woman works for MSFT, you can see how small sample size and how seemingly sloppy her research is. They NAME OCULUS in the article, why can't they say HMD devices, why bring the slander and negative karma against one company? Are you really so naïve to think maybe MSFT wouldn't want to HURT oculus in all this new corporate warfare? And if there is corporate warefare, is their gender warfare? Any money in that? avoiceformen.com says there is.

What does Peter say:

Hi cleverusername and all,
I am PeterAndrewNolan. I am a colleague of cleverusername. I see he has used my real name here and that is fine.

I very much appreciate that I am in the dev forum for OVR. As a professional of 32+ years standing I will keep my few comments as professional as the site warrants.

I am not a rift developer but I will be assisting cleverusername promote and market OVR products. Or at least that was the plan. What people will do now that OVR is owned by facebook is really up to each person to make up their own mind. The facebook purchase has caused something of passionate comment on both sides.

As cleverusername has mentioned. I have been working in the area of securing mens rights for many years. Six to be close to exact. I have spent 4,000 hours, USD500,000 and risked my life by taking on governments directly in order to secure the rights of my fellow men. I have asked for help many times and cleverusername is one of the few men who have assisted me.

I, like many, would express my disappointment that OVR is now owned by Facebook. Mark Zuckerberg is not my favourite person. Indeed, he is in rather a lot of trouble with me for continually hosting slander about me despite me giving him written notices to remove such slander and to assist me determine the identity of those who slander me. I shall be prosecuting him along with Eric Schmidt, Larry Page, and Sergy Brin for hosting slander of me. Just because a man is rich does not put him above the law. I am sure every member here would agree with that sentiment.

I would ask the men at OVR why it is that you would want your technology to be owned by a man who openly hates men, openly idolises females, and will not spend one cent to assist the many millions of men around the world in poverty.

Why would you want your technology to be owned by a man who openly supports and employs women who commit the crimes of perjury, kidnapping, extortion, theft and child abuse in the family courts?

Mark Zuckerberg is well aware that many thousands of his female employees commit crimes in order to destroy mens lives. He is also aware that many thousands of his male employees have their lives destroyed by criminal women in the family courts.

As bullish as I have been in my desire to support OVR when it was not owned by Facebook? I am disappointed in the decision of OVR to put money in front of mens lives. I risked my life and put every cent I had on the table to save mens lives. The lives of men just like those who are 90%+ of the members of this forum. I asked for help to do that and received very little.

I wonder if those of you who now have a great deal of money from the facebook deal are going to keep it to yourselves or whether you would be willing, as I have already done, to put some of it on the table to help your fellow men, many of whom a suicidal, many of whom are in depression, all because they are the victims of criminal women in the family law courts. Not to mention the many millions of men incarcerated for victimless crimes.

I would also comment on the many comments people have made about the kickstarter used to launch OVR. Many here will be familiar with those comments.

In October 2011 I founded the Mens Business Association. The idea is to have a completely separate second economy. This means our own courts, our own laws, our own contracts, our own bank, our own currency, our own passports. Everything.

I have done this all on my own dime. Very few men wish to participate in the second economy yet. What a shame OVR did not start itself in the second economy. It would have been a good way to get that going. Now other people looking to support kickstarter projects may be more reluctant than otherwise.

I have opposed facebook on the grounds that Mark Zuckerberg is a sexist, discriminatory, bigot who routinely violates the right of men to freedom of speech. Again, disappointing that OVR will be owned by a man who routinely violates mens right to freedom of speech.

For those who wish to read just how bad things are for men in the first economy, the "rape men in divorce" economy. You can read my books. The new version of the second one is USD12. Now that so many from OVR are so flush I am sure they can afford USD12 to buy a book that cost me USD500,000 to write. While I was busy risking my life for them they were busy writing code to make "money". Very short sighted because you still have no second economy and anything you have in the first economy can be taken from you as it was taken from me.

When honest men of honour and integrity are ready to create the second economy? They will be welcome.

Those who just make a lot of money from the facebook deal? I wish you the very best. But I would ask you to consider the fact that the money you just made was made from a man who is a man hater, who idolises women, who never lifted a finger to help his fellow men in the greatest of distress, even to the point they kill themselves.

Do you want to take that money and keep it for yourself? Or do you want to help those many men who are in desperate need through no fault of their own? Do you want to help build a second economy such that you can not be stolen from via the criminal courts as so many millions of other men have been?

Serious questions for serious men.

Sure...if you now simply want to chase the holy worthless federal reserve notes and let your brothers kill themselves in large numbers every day? You can do that too. It's a free world. Ok?

Here are the links to my books. When we have enough registered subs we will be starting man-book and man-tube....we already have A-MAN-ZON up and running in the initial stages. And OVR is 90% about men.

Update: The forum says "spam detected" with the links to my books. So just go to A-MAN-ZON and you will find them.

http://www.a-man-zon.com/Home.aspx

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5473&p=75400&hilit=ministry#p75400
cleverusername » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:32 pm

vannagirl wrote:
Wow This thread is why many more women dont show a visible interest in gaming, technology and all the things inbetween Do some of you also play online cod and use mics mostly on xbox btw, because that is the mentality i am afraid. :roll:

I hope this thread does not do that. It was fun playing samus metroid.

I am glad you are here, your future and all our futures are intertwined, we should all try to work together to make it better. Ada (lord byrons daughter) helped charles babbage, grace hopper was recently celebrated, even here at this board I have given great kudos to the female that worked at sun microsystems who said weev was unfairly incarcerated (that he attacked), to marilu henner for her amazing memory. However this VR stuff is going to possibly fundamentally change a lot of things about society, male-female relationships being one of the bigger ones.

To bring this back to something very thread relevant, I would value your opinions on this:

http://www.avoiceformen.com/sexual-politics/m-g-t-o-w/the-future-of-women-in-a-mgtow-society/

Chibiabos says December 12, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Dont count on it. Jessica Valenti, leading online feminist, wanted realistic sex dolls to be banned on the grounds that they ‘objectify’ women. “the Human-Robot Personal Relationship Act and under the direction of the Ministry of Robots and Artificial Intelligence, to be established in Ontario and other Canadian provinces and territories at the end of next year.” I don’t know how long ago this was righten or if it passed.
http://theantifeminist.com/feminists-seek-legislation-over-sex-bots/
Ministry of Robots and Artificial Intelligence…..How many ridiculous Ministry’s does Canada have?

http://theantifeminist.com/feminists-seek-legislation-over-sex-bots/

(see also http://theantifeminist.com/david-futrelle-advocates-child-killing/ (*Trigger Warning*) )

Only yesterday I posted my discovery that Jessica Valenti, leading online feminist, wanted realistic sex dolls to be banned on the grounds that they ‘objectify’ women.

Obviously, as learned readers of this blog will know by now, as well as anybody with an ounce of common sense, Valenti and her fellow feminists want to ban sex dolls because such things, increasingly realistic, threaten to give men sexual independence from women.

Vannagirl, what if I want to use my VR and real doll to give me freedom? What if you want to use VR and a male realdoll to give you freedom, but see there are people on this planet that maybe don't agree with that freedom, and want to restrict it. You can read the book I, Robot, or watch that movie AI, or whatever, when robots become sentient, can we own them, or use them for sex? Where do you draw the line? I love women, but I hate the tyranny that is being used to hurt people.

IBRINAR, you keep right on ignoring and sticking your head in the sand like an ostrich. Don't pay attention to these TYRANTS with boobs that want to DESTROY YOU, and YOUR FREEDOMS. The more you don't worry about it, the easier it is for them to have their way with you and your rights.

mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4123 I am looking into that LEEP VR I lack practical 3d knowledge, I have found some good links, but I am not sure if they are the ones you were talking about. Would you mind direct linking me to them? :oops:

obzen
Expert Protege
The hell you've been smoking, you crazy man.
DK1 FREAK...

Calanar
Honored Guest
What this thread has shown to me more than anything is there is a swath of men who don't understand women and put them into the category of other, not to be trusted, etc. It is unfortunate. The good thing is I think VR will actually do the opposite and help men understand women and vice versa. When a man can have a female avatar and see himself as a women and walk around, see how he is treated by other real people in a virtual environment they will get a better appreciation of the opposite sex. The differences between men and women, besides the obvious have always been either overblown or social in nature.
Michael Tenery, Software, RPG and Game Developer. Imagine Role Playing: http://www.role-playing.com

PeterAndrewNola
Honored Guest
"geekmaster" wrote:
"PeterAndrewNolan" wrote:
Hi cleverusername and all,
I am PeterAndrewNolan. I am a colleague of cleverusername. ... You can find my books on A-MAN-ZON.

Thanks for joining the party, Peter! I went to your website a few days ago, but got some sort of "server error". I will check it out again soon...

Hi Geekmaster,
which site was that? I am not aware that any of them has been down recently. They do go offline occasionally. We have an intermittent problem that we have not been able to find the cause of. One of the configuration documents suddenly loses its security attributes. All we do is unload/upload the file and it starts working again. Happens every month or two.

I do not wish to dis-respect this forum in any way. It is a developers forum for OVR. So if someone wants to ask me questions in public on a thread I will answer direct questions. If they want to ask me in private I am peter@peternolan.com.

I have spent a long time and a lot of money defending the rights of young men. 90%+ of this forum members would be exactly the same sorts of people I have been defending the rights of. However, defending mens rights, even when those men will not defend those rights themselves, is very unappreciated by men.

And the result of men not caring about other men is the very high male suicide rate. Men in divorce commit suicide at 8x the rate of women who have been raped. I was very nearly one of them. I was suicidal in April 2008. 6 years ago now.

When I came out of that I determined to save as many other mens lives as I could. But they do not want to save their own lives in many cases. I have talked three men back from the edge. But no one cares about men. Least of all the men themselves. I find it quite sad how men have been socialised to consider themselves worthless and only of value when in the service of "women and children". Is this really the message we want to give small boys? That men are so worthless no one cares about them even when they kill themselves? Which is the case today.

That is why cleverusername posted my short video on male suicide. I have made more than 200 videos....but men are just not willing to listen and learn yet. And so the male suicide rate and the male depression rate remains very high.

PeterAndrewNola
Honored Guest
"Calanar" wrote:
What this thread has shown to me more than anything is there is a swath of men who don't understand women and put them into the category of other, not to be trusted, etc. It is unfortunate. The good thing is I think VR will actually do the opposite and help men understand women and vice versa. When a man can have a female avatar and see himself as a women and walk around, see how he is treated by other real people in a virtual environment they will get a better appreciation of the opposite sex. The differences between men and women, besides the obvious have always been either overblown or social in nature.

Why would you call it unfortunate that many men consider women not to be trusted? They are not trustworthy. And the appropriate action to people, men and women alike, who are not trustworthy is not to trust them.

It is quite simple. Women are not trustworthy. Their stock in trade is lying. They are masters of deception and should be treated as such. Any man who does not realise that the basis of a womans relationship with a man is lies and deception is a fool just as I was a fool. These lessons are brought to you hard won. You are a fool to ignore the lessons of other men. Especially when they put them in to books and videos for you to read.

You can read all about these things in my books. I do not wish to derail this thread.

It is clear from your comments that you have very little understanding or appreciation of what women are really like. Sad for you.

I spent the years from 14 to 44 "learning about women" so as to better manage my relationships with women. And I am a genius. There is nothing wrong with my brain. The issue was that ALL the women I knew told the SAME LIES so it sounded like the truth. It was only when I men a Ukrainian woman who was prepared to tell me the TRUTH about women that I came to understand the true nature of women.

I put all that in my book The Truth Be Told and it got 8,000 downloads while it was still free. Now it is USD12 because I am in need due to government persecution. Once my persecution is over I will be back to work. I am one of the worlds top BI Consultants. So there is plenty of work to do once my name has been fully exonerated from the rather endless slander I have been subjected to.

Now....in terms of VR. Many men wish to use VR to step out of the "real world" because they are not able to do the sort of thing I did. I simply left the west. I like women. But western women are not very nice people and I would never date one again. So living in a country like Germany allows me to date eastern european women who are really quite lovely.

I can very much relate to men in the west who would rather have virtual relationships with virtual women than any relationship with a real western woman. I would never have another relationship with a western woman. They condone crimes against men in the 99.9%+ majority. And I do not wish relationships with such people. Including men by the way. I disowned my father too. So I do not let the sex of the person enter into the discussion. It is whether the person condones criminal acts that I pay attention to.

User was warned for this post by cybereality. Sexist and discriminatory speech.

kaetemi
Honored Guest
"Tbone" wrote:
Female compatibility is supposed to be included in CV1. Remember, the DK1 is just a dev kit!
Are we getting a gender verification function in the SDK?

PeterAndrewNola
Honored Guest
cleverusername,
thank you for posting my comments. It is much appreciated.

@All,
women, feminists, and their mangina lackeys are going to attack VR style products, especially when they are used by men for porn or for virtual relationships. Women will attack anything that liberates men from the clutches of women.

If you do not believe this then look no further than prostitution. Prostitution is lawful. There can be no law against two consenting adults entering into a contract that they both agree to. However, women and their mangina lackeys make prostitution "illegal" so as to stop men from being able to gain access to sex cheaply. Women openly deprive men of a basic human need via the force of the state merely to gain control of the men. That is the true nature of women at work.

Manginas are only too happy to persecute other men so as to curry favour with women. We see that every day.

Now. Since I know prostitution is lawful I reached out to the sex worker industry and offered to re-present some cases so as to set the precedent that prostitution is lawful and to get the guvmint out of the bedrooms of prostitutes and their clients. However leading libertarians in the sex worker industry were not willing to take on the guvmint and so they deserve the persecution they suffer.

It will be the same for OVR. If developers create something to run on OVR that threatened the domination and control of men by women? You can be sure that zuckerberg will cave like the mangina he is and make sure that such is detected and not allowed to run on a facebook VR device. That is my prediction. And it would be as easy as pie for facebook to implement such.

There is no chance in hell that OVR will be able to be used for any purpose that women object to in the future. Some enterprising men are going to have to create OVR 2.0 to be able to meet that market.

Those who think zuckerberg will not do that? I remind you that I am routinely blocked on facebook...so much so I bought the domain man-book.biz. We will create manbook when we have enough interest. Meaning men who are sick of being censored on facebook.

Calanar
Honored Guest
"PeterAndrewNolan" wrote:

It is quite simple. Women are not trustworthy. Their stock in trade is lying. They are masters of deception and should be treated as such. Any man who does not realise that the basis of a womans relationship with a man is lies and deception is a fool just as I was a fool. These lessons are brought to you hard won. You are a fool to ignore the lessons of other men. Especially when they put them in to books and videos for you to read.

You can read all about these things in my books. I do not wish to derail this thread.

It is clear from your comments that you have very little understanding or appreciation of what women are really like. Sad for you.

I am married and with someone for almost twenty years. I have been able to trust her deeply and her stock is not lies and deception. I have two children with her and we are partners in every sense of the word. The stock of our relationship is honesty and mutual respect. I don't know how to say this without being condescending, but if you really believe what you said above then you do not understand women, period. Neither of us is perfect but when two people pull together magic happens. I am saddened that you do not know this. Good luck....
Michael Tenery, Software, RPG and Game Developer. Imagine Role Playing: http://www.role-playing.com