cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR cinema theater (UE4)

AlexiGVS
Explorer
Since Unreal Engine 4 is available for almost everyone for $19 per month. And counting the fact UE4 fully support Oculus Rift, I hope some enthusiasts will create VR 3D theater with a HUGE screen especially for OR.
I am ready to pay $30 for that kind of software!

17 REPLIES 17

AlexiGVS
Explorer
It will be awesome! 😉

MannyLectro
Explorer
Never heard of VR cinema ?

The guy who made it has been recruited by Oculus.

I guess they are planning to do a better version of it for the official release.
Rift 3d models available here : viewtopic.php?t=1514

Alci
Honored Guest
problem is resolution. Take a look at those pictures and how much area (FOV) the screen actually takes from those seats. And use that FOV on rift's resolution. And you get movie like 640x380 on 1440p rift. Worse on current devices. But it's fun 🙂

RirtualVeality
Adventurer
"Alci" wrote:
problem is resolution. Take a look at those pictures and how much area (FOV) the screen actually takes from those seats. And use that FOV on rift's resolution. And you get movie like 640x380 on 1440p rift. Worse on current devices. But it's fun 🙂

While I certainly won't argue that we're not quite "there" with regards to the resolution for movies in the Rift, I would argue that for watching a 3D movie it looks almost better. When you throw on a cheap pair of 3D glasses at the theater and the 3D effect looks so cheap I'd choose the Rift over the theater ANY DAY to watch 3D movies. But yeah, it can get a little grainy. 😄

RirtualVeality
Adventurer
"MannyLectro" wrote:
Never heard of VR cinema ?

The guy who made it has been recruited by Oculus.

I guess they are planning to do a better version of it for the official release.

Wow, I didn't know this. I thought he did such an excellent job on VR Cinema 3D. Having a nice, polished, experience for the consumer release would be very smart.

slader
Honored Guest
Would love to have an official VR cinema app from Oculus made with UE4. The use of PBR and some custom cinema shaders would make it great:)

Zackarios
Honored Guest
"Alci" wrote:

Tbh, watching movies in VR cinema on the DK1 was fun, and closer to the cinema screen, quite watchable, although not high enough obviously.

A 1440p screen, however, I'm sure hits a point where it really is absolutely watchable compared to 1280x800. That's a huge jump. It's not 4k but if the current screen is anything to go by, I think 1440p will be adequate to enjoy and clearly see movies in the Rift. Especially with a customized, no pixels wasted screen (which I'm guessing they're going to go with now)

Add to that, that the 3d is better than in a real cinema, resulting in a far, far more immersive experience, especially when you can go as close to the screen as you like. Watching Space Station 3d, even in the DK1, I almost felt I was there! That's a first for me with movies.

Morpheox
Honored Guest
What kills the cinema in the dk1 its more the screen door and dullness of the screen than the resolution, if the dk1 had the same resolution but without screen door i would watch movies in it with no problems,so imagine with a 1440p panel with 4 times more pixels.

chickenmcgregor
Honored Guest
The first 3d film I will watch in the official VR theater on my CV1 will be.....................................Gravity 😄