cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR cinema theater (UE4)

AlexiGVS
Explorer
Since Unreal Engine 4 is available for almost everyone for $19 per month. And counting the fact UE4 fully support Oculus Rift, I hope some enthusiasts will create VR 3D theater with a HUGE screen especially for OR.
I am ready to pay $30 for that kind of software!

17 REPLIES 17

treytech
Explorer
I just started working on a home theater version of VR Cinema over at viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6957

Working on 3D support next.

Leahy
Honored Guest
After owning it since last July I just watched my first full movie in my DK. It was the Desolation of Smaug in 3D. I had to keep adjusting the zoom and position of VR player to get just the right balance of resolution vs cutoff image. After halfway I almost gave up. I could see even 1080p being alright and 1440p just fine but it just doesn't work IMO on DK1. I never could stand watching anything in VR Cinema because I couldn't adjust it like I can with VR Player

Luciferous
Consultant
"treytech" wrote:
I just started working on a home theater version of VR Cinema over at viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6957

Working on 3D support next.

And despite an early alpha it is very good. I would like to hide the file selection though when watching a film :D. I Cannot wait to revisit these Cinema Apps with my DK2.

bp2008
Protege
I too would pay $$ for a solid VR cinema program. There is a huge opportunity for profit for whoever nails it best (and first).

Got to have 2d video support, some measure of 3d video support (i.e. side-by-side and top-bottom formats at least). It must have good VR controls and video selection capability. None of that "movie must be named movie.mov and reside in this directory" nonsense.

Huge bonus points if the theater screen could act as a computer monitor for your PC without too much overhead. i.e. you should be able to play games on it, surf the web on it, and basically do anything you want at at least 60 fps if not higher. In fact if this could be accomplished, you could just use VLC media player or the netflix website or anything else for movies. HDCP support for this virtual monitor would of course be ideal so you could even watch blu-rays or protected content via an hdmi capture card.

Even more huge bonus points if users could build their own theater/world, but that of course increases the complexity of the app immensely so I would not expect such a thing any time soon unless it was implemented with minecraft-like simplicity. Not that minecraft-like simplicity is a bad thing. I'd totally play that.

DarrenM
Explorer
"luciferous" wrote:
I would like to hide the file selection though when watching a film 😄

Press the left ctrl key to hide the menu.

Luciferous
Consultant
"DarrenM" wrote:
"luciferous" wrote:
I would like to hide the file selection though when watching a film 😄

Press the left ctrl key to hide the menu.

God I'm so lazy, I should read the instructions, just noticed you have this in the post. Thanks.

RiftXdev
Explorer
"bp2008" wrote:
I too would pay $$ for a solid VR cinema program. There is a huge opportunity for profit for whoever nails it best (and first).

I fully expect Oculus to be first, and release this free with the CV1. It'll be a major marketing tool to get the product mainstream outside of gaming.
DK1 | DK2
"The question isn't who is going to let me but rather who is going to stop me"

jonathan87
Honored Guest
Fantastic!!

VR cinema will be the first APP that I will run on my oculus DK2.
And I will try to develop similar solution.. 🙂