cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any news on shipping for international backers?

Jeppe
Honored Guest
I'm very glad that Oculus have started shipping out the Rift dev kits to backers in the US. Looking at unboxing videos and reading impressions about the Rift makes me incredibly proud to have backed this, you have truly made an awesome product and I am really impressed about the general quality of both the dev kit and the SDK.

However as far as I know Oculus haven't started to send out the Rift to early international backers yet. It would be really great if you guys at Oculus could tell us the reason for this as well as an estimate when you will start sending dev kits abroad. After what I've understood you've had a pretty strict "first come-first served" policy regarding the shipping so I'm hoping us international backers won't have to wait too long 🙂
1,729 REPLIES 1,729

Shockbolt
Explorer
"celt2000" wrote:
Anyway, I'll quit waffling. I just want to know roughly when it will be, and would rather be put out of my misery and someone just say "late september", than watch the date for delivery get postponed again, and again, and again.

The only problem is that Oculus doesn't know, and nobody in this forum knows either. We simply wait for the Rifts to randomly arrive or have the estimated delivery date postponed by a month or more at a time.

I suspect it has to do with the production. Oculus estimates a certain number, hand this number out to the crowds and we take it as a fact. Then the production comes up with a lower number, Oculus is still happy, and we get mad because the numbers provided in the first place are off. We lack proper communication of numbers, which is also part of the problem.

If we knew that only 700 units are shipped out a week, instead of saying 1250(both numbers are examples), we'd have a chance of estimating the arrival of the rifts. If that numbers changes and they posted the new number, we'd know and still have a chance of estimating the arrival of the rifts. But when numbers provided are weeks old and probably are off when we receive them, it's of little or no use.

celt2000
Honored Guest
Nah, I figured as much. I just assumed that this is the best place for wildly optimistic speculation that I could join in on, in the hope that it'll will the Rifts to the UK quicker :(. Either that, or I know this brilliant occultist, and if we were all willing to offer him something, say, a large portion of our collective blood and a couple of organs (and my soul, apparently, but it's cool, most of it already belongs to the Kazakh government. don't ask...), he says it would totally be possible to all get our Rifts tomorrow! Either that, or he read the blood runes wrong, and we're all going to get the shits. Meh. Swings and roundabouts.

ReT
Honored Guest
As is the case with the vast majority of members who frequent this particular thread, I guess you always hope that SOMEONE will have an answer to the 'when will I get my Rift?' question... Having said that, this is the first time I personally have bothered to 'chime in', and its not to rant about not receiving it yet. Based on my order number I have kind of accepted the fact that I will most likely only receive it mid June, but then I think 'well, why June? Where am I getting my information from?'...and at the end of the day we are all making assumptions based on other members of the public's guesstimates or 'order tracking' pages which (much appreciated) they have taken the time to put together in the hope to gives us...well...hope 😄 What I find a little disappointing is that this is by far the most visited thread, the most viewed thread and often has the most 'users viewing this thread' at any given time; this, as I've personally seen myself, is regularly frequented by members of the Oculus team, and yet despite all the replies (by the team) to numerous other threads under various categories, there has been little to no attempt to just reply with something to keep us all happy, shut us all up and/or inform us of the shipping progress - be it good or bad. For the most part people after just after information, it's the LACK thereof that has certain members getting worked up. I think we all secretly wish that we come back to this forum one day (in some cases it's hourly visits) in the hope that someone from the Oculus team will finally put us out of our misery with a more realistic time frame or decent reply. I don't need to be told my Rift will be here next week, as great as that would be, but I'd rather have an OFFICIAL word that its going to be another 2 months...at least then we could all stop stressing, getting excited, worked up or disappointed over it.

JOHIsaac
Honored Guest
"ReT" wrote:
As is the case with the vast majority of members who frequent this particular thread, I guess you always hope that SOMEONE will have an answer to the 'when will I get my Rift?' question... Having said that, this is the first time I personally have bothered to 'chime in', and its not to rant about not receiving it yet. Based on my order number I have kind of accepted the fact that I will most likely only receive it mid June, but then I think 'well, why June? Where am I getting my information from?'...and at the end of the day we are all making assumptions based on other members of the public's guesstimates or 'order tracking' pages which (much appreciated) they have taken the time to put together in the hope to gives us...well...hope 😄 What I find a little disappointing is that this is by far the most visited thread, the most viewed thread and often has the most 'users viewing this thread' at any given time; this, as I've personally seen myself, is regularly frequented by members of the Oculus team, and yet despite all the replies (by the team) to numerous other threads under various categories, there has been little to no attempt to just reply with something to keep us all happy, shut us all up and/or inform us of the shipping progress - be it good or bad. For the most part people after just after information, it's the LACK thereof that has certain members getting worked up. I think we all secretly wish that we come back to this forum one day (in some cases it's hourly visits) in the hope that someone from the Oculus team will finally put us out of our misery with a more realistic time frame or decent reply. I don't need to be told my Rift will be here next week, as great as that would be, but I'd rather have an OFFICIAL word that its going to be another 2 months...at least then we could all stop stressing, getting excited, worked up or disappointed over it.

Wall of Text 🙂

Personally I don't feel stressed at all, I watch this thread every day because somebody is posting "I am number xxxx and got it today". So I can assume when my one will arrive. As posted before I think they should just open up the information from https://www.oculus.com/sales/ to the public. Everbody could see the status changes of all orders. We know from this thread that the order status is not accurate and we all know that somebody who ordered later then you can get it before you becaue of shippment bundeling to different countries. But it gives you a feeling and an idea when yours might arrive.

kurry
Protege
"ReT" wrote:

Long read, but I agree with what you wrote 😄

SMOK3Y
Honored Guest
I noticed on Pre Order (http://www.oculus.com/) page that there's no delivery timeframe now it always said June for me. I think its probably a good idea.

cerulianbaloo
Honored Guest
"SMOK3Y" wrote:
I noticed on Pre Order (http://www.oculus.com/) page that there's no delivery timeframe now it always said June for me. I think its probably a good idea.

If you select "pre-order" the following page says "New orders are expected to ship August 2013." I agree with you though, it would probably be better to not provide an estimate based on what's happened so far. I say take a Valve or id approach to the situation, a "when it's done", or in this case, "when it's shipped".

Rambowjo
Honored Guest

😄

edit: huh, image died.

Gerald
Expert Protege
"cerulianbaloo" wrote:
"SMOK3Y" wrote:

If you select "pre-order" the following page says "New orders are expected to ship August 2013." I agree with you though, it would probably be better to not provide an estimate based on what's happened so far. I say take a Valve or id approach to the situation, a "when it's done", or in this case, "when it's shipped".

They need to five an ETA, otherwise many people won't order. They just need to make that ETA dynamically generated and not something they have to change by hand.
check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons

Shockbolt
Explorer
They should link us to the website of the factory making the Rifts, so we could bug them directly instead..