cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drums

Conz
Explorer
My first little project in Unity with Rift and Hydra is a test with a drum kit.

Download Version 0.01a (Alpha - Proof of concept)
Windows: http://www.vrchannel.de/rift/DrumsVR_v_0_01a.zip (~21.0MB)

UPDATE 16.5.2013:
Added Keyboard keys for:
- J: bass drum
- H: hi-hat

UPDATE 14.5.2013:
Have enough space in RL around you!

Controls on Hydra:
- Analog Sticks: L: rotation and hight, R: position
- Trigger L: for HiHat
- Trigger R: BassDrum
- Left Button 3 + Right Button 4 will reset the rift. (look stright ahead and press both buttons)

F1 gives the Tuscana HUD. All keys are the same as in the tuscana demo.

optional Controls with pedals (Only MS Sidewinder right now)
- Pedal L: for HiHat
- Pedal R: BassDrum

--------
Original post:

Video: http://vimeo.com/66023452

Model of the Drum Kit is CC-BY 3.0 by cephei on Blend-Swap.

Very hard to play with no resistance. And I can't play drums at all. 😉
And the Hydra seems a little bit to laggy for this, but it's fun to play. 8-)
19 REPLIES 19

sinoth
Honored Guest
Would love to have the executable to mess around with 😄

Seems cool, and I like your wrist-GUI. One problem with simulating drums is you reallllly need to be able to kick the bass drum. Not sure how we can do that with the Hydra other than a button press. OH! Just put your freakin keyboard on the ground and hit the spacebar key! Would work great until you get into it and stomp your keyboard too hard XD

Conz
Explorer
Thank you sinoth.

I'll post the demo later. I have to clean it up a little bit and have to remove some glitches.

It will be only for windows, because I use the TextToSpeech from the OS. A voice system is one way to avoid onscreen display for informations. That's one reason why I have the wrist GUI, too. With that I have an alternative for an onscreen menu.

My current mission is to calculate the speed of the impact on the drums, with that I could change the volume in relation.

"sinoth" wrote:
OH! Just put your freakin keyboard on the ground and hit the spacebar key! Would work great until you get into it and stomp your keyboard too hard XD
:lol:

For that I have thought about my old Sidewinder driving wheel with pedals. I have to figgure out how to read the padals in unity. It will be really tricky to change the sound for the high hat depending on the pedal.

But that would add an additional requirement for the demo. 😞
- Windows with Audio (Headphones are recommended)
- Rift
- Hydra
+ Driving wheel with pedals

In this demo I am missing the position tracking (and I can't use a hydra for this bec. need them for the hands). I'm surprised that this is a situation where I notice the lack of movement so extreme.

sven
Protege
Awesome idea! Do you plan to release it for public consumption? 8-)

Conz
Explorer
Yep, I'll release a version soon, but I have to ask for your patience.

AleksBeer
Honored Guest
That's awesome! This could be an advancement for practicing musical instruments without disturbing your household..!

Conz
Explorer
"AleksBeer" wrote:
This could be an advancement for practicing musical instruments without disturbing your household..!

Hehe, since I have added my pedals, it's not that silent anymore. :mrgreen:
I must place some thick felt below it, to absorb the sound.

The pedals are working better than the hydras. But far from perfect. I have the impression, that the practicing will not that effective. 😉
To be honest, it looks better than the result sounds. 😞
Maybe I have to come to the conclusion, that the proof of concept has failed. :cry:

I'm reducing the scene to the drumset and basic functions right now, to upload an executable (tomorrow).
And I have no real alternative for user without a sidewinder wheel with pedals, to play the bassdrum and the hi-hat closing.
Other pedals seem to have a different wirering. The Sidewinder has a third joystick ID for the left pedal. Other pedals are using one joystick ID for both pedals.

Using the hydra trigger for bass and hi-hat feels very bad and unintuitive.

The feeling with hydras and pedals is very entertaining, but the resulting rythm sounds horrible.
I have tried to play music in background and accompany with it ... no chance. 😞

mouja
Explorer
I'm so glad that someone started this drum Rift project. I was thinking about that when I was holding the hydra for the first time. But I'm not a developper, just a stereographer.
Your sample pic looks very good also. you make my day with these post, thanx.

drash
Heroic Explorer
I love this so much... this looks like an absolute blast!

Keep us updated!
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

Conz
Explorer
Download the Demo in my first posting.

I have reduced the functionality to the drums.
If someone has different pedals than MS Sidewinder (Wheel), I'm willing to try to include them, too.

But I'm not that happy with the overall result.
The controlls are to laggy.
Maybe I have to think about a different signal to trigger the hit. The change of velocity or something like that. Right now I'm using colliders.
And the lack of position tracking is clearly noticeable, bec. you are moving so much with the "rythm".

Have fun and I'm curious about your experience.