cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[DK2] TNG Engineering (Star Trek) (+bonus)

drash
Heroic Explorer
What is this?

TNG Engineering is a simple non-interactive scene depicting the Main Engineering bay of the NCC 1701-D in Star Trek: The Next Generation. Although made for VR, it also works fine without an Oculus Rift.

Inspired by the recent releases of Star Trek fan scenes for VR, I took a short break from my other projects to do one of my own. I'm sure someone out there is already working on a bridge, so hopefully by focusing on something that's *not* a starship bridge, I'm not stepping on anyone's toes. I feel right at home in Engineering anyway!

Controls:

Move around using the WASD+mouse scheme, a controller, the arrow keys, or mouse buttons.
You may also use the scrollwheel for turning (thanks to Time Rifters for the inspiration).
Sprint using Left Shift or the controller's Left Trigger.

Move around:
- [WASD] / [Arrow keys] / [Mouse buttons] / [Controller left thumbstick]
Look/turn around:
- [HMD gaze direction] / [Mouse] / [Scrollwheel] / [Controller right thumbstick] / [Arrow keys]
Show framerate & other options:
- Escape / F / Button Y (default is OFF)
Reset Orientation:
- F1 / Controller Start
Mirroring:
- F2 (default is ON)
Cycle Camera Bounds:
- F3 / Button X (default is OFF)
Low Persistence:
- F4 (default is ON)
Timewarp:
- F5 (default is ON)
Positional Tracking:
- F6 (default is ON)
HQ Distortion:
- F7 (default is ON)
Vignette:
- F8 (default is ON)
Black Smear Correction:
- F10 (default is ON)
Vsync:
- V (default is ON, useful to turn off and back on if experiencing an unexpectedly low framerate)
Quit:
- Q

Some notes from the readme:
Built with SDK 0.4.3.1 on Unity 4.5.5p3.
Requires Oculus Runtime 0.4.2 or newer.

Confirmed to work in both "Direct HMD Access from Apps" and "Extend Desktop to the HMD" modes.
Regardless of the mode, use the _DirectToRift.exe to start the program.

Runs at a minimum of 130 FPS on an Nvidia GTX 660.
NOTE: In Direct mode, you may experience judder even if your PC is fast enough, and usually this can be fixed by toggling Vsync off and back on again using the V key.

Credits:

This is a non-commercial scene made for Star Trek fans. The intellectual property depicted herein is not affiliated with or endorsed by the original rights holders.

The sound effects are done by ender4life @ YouTube.

Download links:

TNG Engineering - DK2 (Windows) from Adrive

TNG Engineering - DK2 (MacOSX) from Adrive

-------

Enjoy!
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com
76 REPLIES 76

FictionX
Honored Guest
Spot on! The ambiance, the coloring, the lighting... I'm there! 🙂

Thanks!

Hadwell
Honored Guest
Is the limitation on the legible text on some of the panels, but not others, just because of the quality of images you could find to make the textures out of?

these are really awesome though, awesome 😄

drash
Heroic Explorer
Great to hear it's working for you two. 🙂

"Hadwell" wrote:
Is the limitation on the legible text on the panels the quality of images you could find to make the textures out of?

Sadly, yes. I think the big panel on the left as you first enter the scene is pretty high res, but most of them aren't. Amazing how the need for higher res textures just explodes with VR!

Kenzie
Honored Guest
Great job Drash! So cool to be in Engineering, I felt like at any second Geordi was going to walk in the room :geek: I really wanted to jump out of the scene and explore more, especially around the Warp Core.

Enda
Protege
Looks fantastic.
I have tried it on the mac and after I get past the res selection screen, my monitor just flashes black.

I know that when I did the PC build of the Enterprise from my Mac there were issues too, in that case it was painfully slow frame rate, obviously unity does not like to export to another platform.

I can always download the pc version and play it on my Bootcamp partition.

Could you render out a 64bit mac version?
Enda _____________________________________________________ Check out the Original Enterprise and TNG Bridges in VR http://www.endaoconnor.com/ImagesPage/images.html _____________________________________________________

drash
Heroic Explorer
"enda" wrote:
Looks fantastic.
I have tried it on the mac and after I get past the res selection screen, my monitor just flashes black.

I know that when I did the PC build of the Enterprise from my Mac there were issues too, in that case it was painfully slow frame rate, obviously unity does not like to export to another platform.

Interesting -- so you had to fix the slowdown of the PC version of your awesome demo by building it from within Windows? That's alarming!

Here's a download link for the 64-bit Mac version. Let me know if that helps or not, and thanks for the inspiration!

daloots
Honored Guest
Drash,
This is AMAZING 😮
The lighting is phenomenal! After all the UE4 hype, it's great to see what can be done with Unity.
If this is something you do in a short break...
True 3D video for VR: http://q3d.quaternionsoftware.com

Enda
Protege
Downloaded the 64bit version and this time I get a constant black screen.

Yeah for Enterprise I had to do the PC build on my windows Partition, it's crazy, I don't know why Unity bother having the option if it doesn't work right.

I have started work on the TNG bridge in the last few days and will probably move over to UE4 because of the hassle I am having lately with Unity.

BTW : I just realised it was you who created Titans Of Space, absolutely brilliant work, It was one of the main demos I showed to people when I first got the rift.

"drash" wrote:
"enda" wrote:
Looks fantastic.

Interesting -- so you had to fix the slowdown of the PC version of your awesome demo by building it from within Windows? That's alarming!

Here's a download link for the 64-bit Mac version. Let me know if that helps or not, and thanks for the inspiration!
Enda _____________________________________________________ Check out the Original Enterprise and TNG Bridges in VR http://www.endaoconnor.com/ImagesPage/images.html _____________________________________________________

Codexus
Honored Guest
Visited the Enterprise: life achievement unlocked! 😄

Really good scene. I hope you will update it when Unity 5 comes out to add screen space reflections, the few reflective surfaces look really nice but by contrast the non-reflective surfaces are made more obvious.

Also I wanted to ride the little elevator next to the warp core. The one that always seems ridiculously slow and unpractical in the series.

Great job!