cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[DK2] TNG Engineering (Star Trek) (+bonus)

drash
Heroic Explorer
What is this?

TNG Engineering is a simple non-interactive scene depicting the Main Engineering bay of the NCC 1701-D in Star Trek: The Next Generation. Although made for VR, it also works fine without an Oculus Rift.

Inspired by the recent releases of Star Trek fan scenes for VR, I took a short break from my other projects to do one of my own. I'm sure someone out there is already working on a bridge, so hopefully by focusing on something that's *not* a starship bridge, I'm not stepping on anyone's toes. I feel right at home in Engineering anyway!

Controls:

Move around using the WASD+mouse scheme, a controller, the arrow keys, or mouse buttons.
You may also use the scrollwheel for turning (thanks to Time Rifters for the inspiration).
Sprint using Left Shift or the controller's Left Trigger.

Move around:
- [WASD] / [Arrow keys] / [Mouse buttons] / [Controller left thumbstick]
Look/turn around:
- [HMD gaze direction] / [Mouse] / [Scrollwheel] / [Controller right thumbstick] / [Arrow keys]
Show framerate & other options:
- Escape / F / Button Y (default is OFF)
Reset Orientation:
- F1 / Controller Start
Mirroring:
- F2 (default is ON)
Cycle Camera Bounds:
- F3 / Button X (default is OFF)
Low Persistence:
- F4 (default is ON)
Timewarp:
- F5 (default is ON)
Positional Tracking:
- F6 (default is ON)
HQ Distortion:
- F7 (default is ON)
Vignette:
- F8 (default is ON)
Black Smear Correction:
- F10 (default is ON)
Vsync:
- V (default is ON, useful to turn off and back on if experiencing an unexpectedly low framerate)
Quit:
- Q

Some notes from the readme:
Built with SDK 0.4.3.1 on Unity 4.5.5p3.
Requires Oculus Runtime 0.4.2 or newer.

Confirmed to work in both "Direct HMD Access from Apps" and "Extend Desktop to the HMD" modes.
Regardless of the mode, use the _DirectToRift.exe to start the program.

Runs at a minimum of 130 FPS on an Nvidia GTX 660.
NOTE: In Direct mode, you may experience judder even if your PC is fast enough, and usually this can be fixed by toggling Vsync off and back on again using the V key.

Credits:

This is a non-commercial scene made for Star Trek fans. The intellectual property depicted herein is not affiliated with or endorsed by the original rights holders.

The sound effects are done by ender4life @ YouTube.

Download links:

TNG Engineering - DK2 (Windows) from Adrive

TNG Engineering - DK2 (MacOSX) from Adrive

-------

Enjoy!
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com
76 REPLIES 76

san
Honored Guest
Nice demo and like some previous posts mention, the ambiance is pretty spot on. Really like it!

As usual I got the annoying Unity3D issues on Linux (having to run the game in windowed mode otherwise stereo rendering seems off) but this time the Xbox360 controller was not working either. Haven't experienced that before. Might be an issue at my side but perhaps it hints you to something.

And the titans in space was something.. several people who tried the rift for the first time, including myself, been blown away by the awesome experience. Thanks a lot for that as well!

WhelanWeb
Honored Guest
Another Trek demo 😄

You wait for months for one then 3 come all at once.
Got a game in development or a cool piece of VR tech you want to show off? We are looking for demos, trailers and all things VR. Just send us a mail and we would be more than happy to feature it on our site. http://www.virtualrealityreviewer.com

AmebousPeter
Honored Guest
Just played it, that was great!

I love these kinds of experiences, can't wait to see more.

fleedar
Honored Guest
Really great stuff. The dream is coming true. 🙂

candiedbug
Honored Guest
I literally had a tear running down one eye. Dream come true.

renderingpipeli
Honored Guest
Great demo! Now someone build a complete ship! 😉

snappahead
Expert Protege
Amazing! You did it again, Drash! I had an emotional response to this. I really wasn't expecting it, but it happened. I'm a big TNG fan, but still didn't think something like this would be so fascinating to me.

My first thought once the demo started and I was in the little hall way was, "wow, the ceiling is pretty low". I'm not sure if that's accurate or not, but it made the demo feel more real somehow. I got my best feeling of presence to date as well. I went to the console on the right before you walk into the warp core and clipped the stool. When I turn in my chair, it felt like I was turning on the stool in the game and looking to my right at the main controls in the middle of the room was just fantastic. I was there. Brilliant job with the sound too. I've always found the sounds on Trek shows of the warp core to be strangely relaxing. This is freaking brilliant.
i7 3820 16 gigs of Ram GTX 780ti

tmek
Protege
Looks great!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I knew we could count on Drash to deliver more VR goodness! This is awesome. More serious in-your-face proof that VR is going to change everything. I can't wait for an environment like this to be a game. I'm already having a hard time playing regular games anymore. When playing them I always think, "this would be 100x better in the Rift".

OculusOptician
Explorer
Definitely loading this up. How does this compare to Red Frame?