cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[DK2] TNG Engineering (Star Trek) (+bonus)

drash
Heroic Explorer
What is this?

TNG Engineering is a simple non-interactive scene depicting the Main Engineering bay of the NCC 1701-D in Star Trek: The Next Generation. Although made for VR, it also works fine without an Oculus Rift.

Inspired by the recent releases of Star Trek fan scenes for VR, I took a short break from my other projects to do one of my own. I'm sure someone out there is already working on a bridge, so hopefully by focusing on something that's *not* a starship bridge, I'm not stepping on anyone's toes. I feel right at home in Engineering anyway!

Controls:

Move around using the WASD+mouse scheme, a controller, the arrow keys, or mouse buttons.
You may also use the scrollwheel for turning (thanks to Time Rifters for the inspiration).
Sprint using Left Shift or the controller's Left Trigger.

Move around:
- [WASD] / [Arrow keys] / [Mouse buttons] / [Controller left thumbstick]
Look/turn around:
- [HMD gaze direction] / [Mouse] / [Scrollwheel] / [Controller right thumbstick] / [Arrow keys]
Show framerate & other options:
- Escape / F / Button Y (default is OFF)
Reset Orientation:
- F1 / Controller Start
Mirroring:
- F2 (default is ON)
Cycle Camera Bounds:
- F3 / Button X (default is OFF)
Low Persistence:
- F4 (default is ON)
Timewarp:
- F5 (default is ON)
Positional Tracking:
- F6 (default is ON)
HQ Distortion:
- F7 (default is ON)
Vignette:
- F8 (default is ON)
Black Smear Correction:
- F10 (default is ON)
Vsync:
- V (default is ON, useful to turn off and back on if experiencing an unexpectedly low framerate)
Quit:
- Q

Some notes from the readme:
Built with SDK 0.4.3.1 on Unity 4.5.5p3.
Requires Oculus Runtime 0.4.2 or newer.

Confirmed to work in both "Direct HMD Access from Apps" and "Extend Desktop to the HMD" modes.
Regardless of the mode, use the _DirectToRift.exe to start the program.

Runs at a minimum of 130 FPS on an Nvidia GTX 660.
NOTE: In Direct mode, you may experience judder even if your PC is fast enough, and usually this can be fixed by toggling Vsync off and back on again using the V key.

Credits:

This is a non-commercial scene made for Star Trek fans. The intellectual property depicted herein is not affiliated with or endorsed by the original rights holders.

The sound effects are done by ender4life @ YouTube.

Download links:

TNG Engineering - DK2 (Windows) from Adrive

TNG Engineering - DK2 (MacOSX) from Adrive

-------

Enjoy!
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com
76 REPLIES 76

vonFelty
Honored Guest
Pretty awesome demo. I wonder if someday the entire ship can be modeled.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Awesome!

Now if you can just get a working holodeck completed we will be good to go!

But I'd also settle for 10-forward cafe with the stars whizzing by:)

snappahead
Expert Protege
Yeah, 10 forward would be great. It would be awesome to have the bridge, 10 forward and engineering in one demo with the turbo lift acting as the loading area.
i7 3820 16 gigs of Ram GTX 780ti

MajorLag
Honored Guest
Very nice demo & detail - I spotted what appears to be the Oculus eye logo in the ship schematic 🙂

320x200
Explorer
The horror demos have gotten to me... someone turn some more lights on in engineering! lol

Codexus
Honored Guest
"ammonthenephite" wrote:
But I'd also settle for 10-forward cafe with the stars whizzing by:)

10-forward would be great but only if Guinan is there and Data makes me a Samarian Sunset in the traditional style! :mrgreen:

mrboggieman
Honored Guest
Thanks for the demo, felt like I was there. The humming of the warp core is very calming, makes me want to lie down in the middle of the room and go to sleep - maybe on the center table 😉

drash
Heroic Explorer
Really glad to see the positive response to this demo! Wasn't sure if it was going to be a super-niche nostalgia thing or what.

@MajorLag -- You've got a good eye for detail. :mrgreen:

"Snappahead" wrote:
Yeah, 10 forward would be great. It would be awesome to have the bridge, 10 forward and engineering in one demo with the turbo lift acting as the loading area.

At first I was thinking a turbolift can only go vertical like your normal elevator so I wasn't sure an idea like yours would be "realistic", but then I dug up my old Technical Manual and confirmed that those turbolifts can indeed move horizontally, basically from any point A to any point B on the ship. So..... maybe when I get some time!

I heard enda is doing the TNG Bridge though. Should be exciting. 🙂
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

snappahead
Expert Protege
Its amazing how cool it is to just be in these environments. Walking around a virtual space that you know so well, but now youre there. Its really spectacular. You nailed the vibe of that space. It feels just right. Great, great stuff. Id love to just sit in the captains chair and watch old episodes on the view screen if you ever were to make a bridge yourself.
i7 3820 16 gigs of Ram GTX 780ti

Peejle
Explorer
Thanks Drash for once again making us all feel inferior by showing your 'side project' 😉

This is of course excellent in every respect. Almost scarily real for a render.

Peejle