cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

guygodin
Protege
Virtual Desktop is a little utility that improves your VR experience on the desktop. By efficiently replicating your desktop into the Rift, the application allows you to see your desktop on a giant virtual screen. You can browse the web, watch movies or even play non-VR games. It also allows you to launch VR games and resume from them without having to take your headset off.

After you launch Virtual Desktop, a tray icon will appear in your taskbar. From there you can manage your list of games, change your settings.

You can also drag & drop executables or shortcuts to add more games to your list.

Requirements
- Windows 8 or 10
- Oculus 1.3 Runtime

Latest Changes
- Added ability to browse 360 photos
- Added mirror to monitor feature

Follow the link below to access the store page
Official website
Virtual Desktop Developer
1,844 REPLIES 1,844

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had that problem to. I dont remember what I did to fix it, but it might have been "run as adminstrator" or fiddling with the usb for the rift.

Edit: No. I put it in extended mode.

guygodin
Protege
"rubixcube6" wrote:
I get this error message when i try to run it. I'm running Windows 7 64Bit.

You will need Windows 8 to run Virtual Desktop btw. Odd exception though..

Thanks for trying it Axel, I won't implement camera movement since DK2 will allow 6DOF as you mentioned. I can't quite figure out why the pitch is inverted. I've tried something else, no sure if that will work. That amplified movement approach looks really cool!

I've added basic supersampling which helps make text a bit more readable.

jasonatokc
Honored Guest
Works fine but the tracking needs to be inverted when I look up at a 2d display I want to look up not down and visa versa
Nice demo though the option to invert the tracking would make it a lot better.

Infinimitsu
Explorer
This looks great! A couple notes:

It would be great to be able to curve the desktop slightly, like SteamVR.

Also, it seems that the head turning is off. When I turn my head left, it seems the opposite intended effect happens, and same with turning my head right. Strange feeling, and is really the only thing holding me back from actually finding a use for this.

Looks great, though! Nice and crisp.

guygodin
Protege
Thanks Infinite, I was also thinking of adding a curve to the screen to help. I'll wait for DK2 and see how comfortable the experience is. That could definitely be an option like the bendable samsung displays introduced at CES 😛

mylescox
Explorer
With the new update it's absolutely perfect. My only suggested additions are:

1) A keystroke to reset Rift orientation

2) A curved screen, instead of a flat plane. Similar to Steam's VR Big Picture Mode.

Thank you so much for this, Deskope is pretty terrible when it comes to framerate - this pulls a steady 60FPS always.

vonFelty
Honored Guest
Also on Windows 7.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Incredible work, i would loved got this application when i had the DK1.
One question, you have said that DirectX 11.1 gots native stereoscopic 3D.
Do you think if it will be easy to mix this native stereoscopic 3D with the "output duplication" fuction?
I mean, It will be totally amazing to play sterescopic 3D games in a giant vistual Screen at 60 fps.
this can be one of the killer apps for oculus rift.

thak you for your great job

guygodin
Protege
"fugazi" wrote:
Do you think if it will be easy to mix this native stereoscopic 3D with the "output duplication" fuction?
I mean, It will be totally amazing to play sterescopic 3D games in a giant vistual Screen at 60 fps.
this can be one of the killer apps for oculus rift.

The native stereoscopic functionality needs to be enabled at the driver level by Oculus (through EDID) but I'm not sure how that actually works. With the current version you can already play a fullscreen 2D game on your primary display and it will duplicate to the rift with distortion/stereoscopy (as long as the game allows access to its swap chain).

"mylescox" wrote:
My only suggested additions are:
1) A keystroke to reset Rift orientation
2) A curved screen, instead of a flat plane. Similar to Steam's VR Big Picture Mode.

I'll add a keyboard shortcut to reset Rift orientation (something like F12?, is there a common key used by other apps to do this?). Curved screen is on my todo list.

routb3d
Explorer
I got VD working after a few tries. Very cool so far. I opened 3D coat and messed around sculpting on my Cintiq Companion. That was fun but very difficult to do much in the Ui with the screen resolution and fixed head position against a flat screen. There has to be some slick way to make our 2D interfaces more tolerable in VR.

Update: What if Your position to the screen drifted relative to the way you looked? Ie. I'm in the center of the screen reading some text, I look to the X in the upper right corner and my position drifts up until I'm centered and looking straight ahead at the X. The more extreme the angle of the look the faster the position would accelerate. There may also be a way to handle zoom with head movement as well.

IC