New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Riftoon - OSX and PC Demo

prowlprowl Posts: 86
Hiro Protagonist
edited November 2014 in Games and Apps
toon1.jpg

Ok I was getting a bit bored in Tuscany, so Rifted up the Excellent Toon Level Kit from the 'Hedgehog team' in unity.

4 levels to loop though - The swirly stonehenge thing will drop you into the next world.

I've been testing with an xBox controller (PC ONLY). Mouse/arrow keys should work.
Added some jumping too. - "A" button on a controller ( not sure about keyboard mouse )

Feel free to look at my site. Games are not the sort of thing I normally do. But theres no money in VFX anymore!

http://www.prowl.co.uk

...and if any of you need some 3d / vfx / Motion GFX work let me know

PC: https://www.dropbox.com/s/344biod6582iyzk/Riftoon.Win.zip
OSX: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z0tq44gmorw4w5v/Riftoon.OSX.zip

Update - V.0.3.1
Added back the standard unity graphics box. You can hide as required and ALT open will show it again.
Fixed OSX opening error.
Playstation Controller via Bluetooth on the Mac - not sure about PC. Xbox works on PC.
Some fixes:
Escape application working (osx)
Faster
More solid objects
Altered DOF
Fixed Neck / eye postions

OSX Version. - Keyboard mouse only at the moment ( new rift SDK supports Playstation3 (on order) and Logitech f710 )

Better AntiAliasing
More optimised
Lowered character height to be closer to whatever malevolent little creatures live in this place.
Added invisible ring fence so you cannot slip off the world
Water surrounding the islands.
Changed the Hedgehog character / image that appeared to be smoking!
Added the Halloween level. Swirly level portal is a bit hidden / not as obvious as the others.
'B' Key reset the yaw if it drifts - look forward and level and press B.

PC Version - Can someone test for me as I rebuilt it all in OSX and well... Prefer it! And unity seemed to build better in OSX to both platforms.

Comments

• usb420usb420 Posts: 291
    Sounds cool! Im not on my pc right now Do You have any screenshots?
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Download now. Thanks.

Also, a screenshot would be helpful.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • danworlddanworld Posts: 127
    Art3mis
    Holy $h!! that is cool!

Want to turn your room in to a magical cartoon land? Try this!

Thanks for Rifting it up for us! Man, there are so many things that people can quickly port to Rift, I can't wait!
  • space123321space123321 Posts: 134
    Hiro Protagonist
    Love it - thanks!!!!
    Art3mis
    This world is quite a colorful change from the HL2 dystopia.

As I was in the magical winter wonderland, I was thinking that anybody who experiences that should have little doubt that VR is at least going to be hot new technology.

Newb question: is it possible for us to adjust the settings? I've tried lots of Unity demos but finally learned more about optimal settings after playing around with HL2 VR (official). I'd like to crank anti-aliasing way up.
  • SawersadamSawersadam Posts: 49
    This looks sensational....
    But makes me pine for 'toon-town' from Who Framed Roger Rabbit (now that could really work too!!)...
  • VRoomVRoom Posts: 596
    O man, the VR version of Roger Rabbit would be amazing! Going from "real" world to Toontown would be quite an experience :)
    I don't have Rift yet, but can't wait to try this demo once I get it!
  • prowlprowl Posts: 86
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited May 2013
    Another image
    toon2.jpg

A web player version if you've not got your rift yet.
    http://www.blitz3dfr.com/WB/TLK/wp.html
    danworld wrote:
    Newb question: is it possible for us to adjust the settings? I've tried lots of Unity demos but finally learned more about optimal settings after playing around with HL2 VR (official). I'd like to crank anti-aliasing way up.

Yup you can do all that stuff in code. and just link the AA setting etc to a Keybinding. I just wanted a simple interface instead of the pop up at the start -

UDK seems to have a lot of that stuff built in... but TBH - there is tons of extensions and scripts you can just buy/freeware on the asset store for unity. the extension FXAA for example. hardly any overhead. I'll add it in and see if makes any difference
  • ClanceyClancey Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    This is amazing. My Two year old is already addicted to the Oculus Rift. This is now his favorite app for it. Would it be possible to add walls to keep you on the islands? He hasn't figured out jumping yet.
  • elmelm Posts: 2
    Any update on OSX support?
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Wow! This is too awesome. Love the style, and it looks great in 3D.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • peteclarkelondonpeteclarkelondon Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    Fantastic stuff. I especially like the first world with the castle, but they are all good to just have a poke around in!
  • PinglesPingles Posts: 155
    Art3mis
    Can't wait to try!

Downloading now but going VERY slow. In fact, I decided to test my connection to see if it was my end and downloaded another demo in less than a minute.

Yours says I have two hours left. :(
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,849
    Neo
    Yup, the download took quite a while for me (at least an hour), and I'm used to downloading 200mb files in about 30 seconds here.

Anyway I fired this thing up and about 10 seconds later quit out of it. It looks so awesome that I want to avoid spoilers and wait to try it with a Rift!

From what little I saw it looks cheerful and utterly interesting, so thank you for sharing this! :)
    Hiro Protagonist
    Pingles wrote:
    Downloading now but going VERY slow. In fact, I decided to test my connection to see if it was my end and downloaded another demo in less than a minute. Yours says I have two hours left. :(
    drash wrote:
    Yup, the download took quite a while for me (at least an hour), and I'm used to downloading 200mb files in about 30 seconds here.

Hmmph that's annoying.. I've only just switched to a new host. I'll stick it on a fie host - or riftenabled.com - anyone recommend one
    Clancey wrote:
    This is amazing. My Two year old is already addicted to the Oculus Rift. This is now his favorite app for it. Would it be possible to add walls to keep you on the islands? He hasn't figured out jumping yet.

Awesome! Love that! I'll stick a ring fence around the lot now for him
    elm wrote:
    Any update on OSX support?

Working on it right now. Having to build from scratch - the new OSX SDK seems to have broken the code i added. won't take long though. Think it will have to be keys and mous only though...

The new sdk has added gamepad support - but only for PS3 Controller ( just ordered one! ) and a logitech f710.
    danworld wrote:
    This world is quite a colorful change from the HL2 dystopia.

I've worked out a way ( well actually ready the Unity Rift documentation ) to up the quality significantly.... I may add the start up screen for settings...
    Art3mis
    Last night I just lied down on one of the mountains for a while. Very cool.
  • VRoomVRoom Posts: 596
    drash wrote:
    Anyway I fired this thing up and about 10 seconds later quit out of it. It looks so awesome that I want to avoid spoilers and wait to try it with a Rift!

From what little I saw it looks cheerful and utterly interesting, so thank you for sharing this! :)
    +1
    Don't want to spoil the experience, so I'll wait for the Rift :)
    Hiro Protagonist
    Update
    OSX Version.
    Better AntiAliasing
    More optimised
    Lowered character height to be closer to whatever malevolent little creatures live in this place.
    Added invisible ring fence so you cannot slip off the world
    Water surrounding the islands.
    Changed the Hedgehog character / image that appeared to be smoking!
    Added the Halloween level. Swirly level portal is a bit hidden / not as obvious as the others.
    'B' Key reset the yaw if it drifts - look forward and level and press B.

Don't forget walking into the swirly light takes you to the next world.

http://www.filedropper.com/cartoonpcv02_1
    http://www.filedropper.com/cartoonosxv02_1

I could make the whole level have more collisions - at the moment you can walk thought walls etc. But might take a while.

I have only tested the OSX version at the moment... Hopefully it works. Let me know ASAP if it doesn't
    Art3mis
    I love stylized worlds (it's what attracted me to Unity over UDK even though I have ended up back in UDK) and this is fantastic.

I noticed that this had a "Trial" logo on it. So this is using PRO but in the free trial? Or did you make this with Unity Free and hack in the Rift?
  • CURTROCKCURTROCK Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    Could you post a YouTube walk through? I'd like to take a peek at your cartoon world, and show the kids on their iPad. The screen shots look amazing. I've always thought that cartoon-style graphics would look great, in the Rift. Kids are going to love this!
  • spire8989spire8989 Posts: 337
    Hiro Protagonist
    Sounds like it's just this from the asset store: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/4679

So there's some webplayers you could check out, though they won't work on iPad. I remember getting this kit a long time ago, nice visuals.
    Art3mis
    CURTROCK wrote:
    Could you post a YouTube walk through? I'd like to take a peek at your cartoon world, and show the kids on their iPad. The screen shots look amazing. I've always thought that cartoon-style graphics would look great, in the Rift. Kids are going to love this!

OP posted that there's a web version of the same map here: http://www.blitz3dfr.com/WB/TLK/wp.html
  • CURTROCKCURTROCK Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    Found a video on YouTube. Looks great.
    http://youtu.be/POGmZtakJu8
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yup not claiming it as my own modelling, as i said my first post its the hedgehog teams asset store purchase...though I like to think given a bit of time I could do as decent a job - check out my site - ;)

It's just a demo and the cartoon kit is a very good start. Only £20 as I recall

I won't be turning it into a game ( although, I think that's allowed? That's what the asset store is for )

Just learning unity and the rift I have modified it quite a bit though and added code.

Just wanted to put it out there for y'all. Happy to try some ideas if you have any though
    Pingles wrote:
    I noticed that this had a "Trial" logo on it. So this is using PRO but in the free trial? Or did you make this with Unity Free and hack in the Rift?

Just the month unity pro trial... I still want to know when we are getting our 4 month trials? By then I can see if I can justify the pretty hefty cost to move forward. Suppose that's the benefit of udk... It's free completely. And as I understand its only 1 component of unity pro that's needed. The image effects. Which is a shame.

UDK is windows only and well... That's not a nice place for me to spend my days :)
  • spire8989spire8989 Posts: 337
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yeah, it's an awesome pack. I have almost all of Michael O's packs. The nature ones, modern ruins, medieval environments, etc. but am waiting to get my Rift to see how they look. I think they'll be pretty awesome too, he's my favorite asset store person.
    Art3mis
    spire8989 wrote:
    Yeah, it's an awesome pack. I have almost all of Michael O's packs. The nature ones, modern ruins, medieval environments, etc. but am waiting to get my Rift to see how they look. I think they'll be pretty awesome too, he's my favorite asset store person.

I can't wait too :D
  • karelkarel Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    Worlds like this are perfect for the Rift. Just imagine how cool it will be for kids to visit their favourite cartoon worlds and characters. Hang out with Shrek or have a wacky adventure in the Ice Age environment.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Ok this works out of the Box with The ps3 controller... though you may have to use Joystick mapper app on OSX to map a jump button to 'E'

I'll look at the controls again when I have time.
  • IGameArtIGameArt Posts: 89
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited May 2013
    Edited: didnt realize i had the free version unity hacked d3d9.dll file that added warping to unity games whether they had it or not. it was double warping the view for me XD Going to give this a proper go now, should be much better :)
  • EmanuEmanu Posts: 89
    Your models or not, good job in putting this together. This and TF2 made me think realism isnt the be-all end-all for VR.