cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DK2 - Will it come with the hard briefcase like DK1?

RagingAvatar
Protege
A colleague has a DK1 - and I saw that hardcase/briefcase that it comes in and thought how awesome that is for transporting your Rift around.

Anyone know if DK2 will come with one too?
20 REPLIES 20

RagingAvatar
Protege
I plan on taking my DK2 between the office and home quite regularly - so I hope it comes with the hard case!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ben Lang (from RoadToVR) posted a photo of the DK2 case on Twitter. Cardboard, not the plastic briefcase from DK1, but still looks decent to carry around.

https://twitter.com/benz145/status/476999664919515136/

ThreeEyes
Explorer
Well, it's a start. Now we just need to find a nice plastic case that the custom-cut foam will fit in.

Hopefully that's a pretty common size box.

Cyber - any way you could get us the inside (or even outside) dimensions on that?
But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock:

RagingAvatar
Protege
Could Oculus perhaps release a hard case accessory? #instabuy

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Twitchmonkey" wrote:
So long as they pass the savings from not having to include a case unto the consumer and give us the option, that'll work. I suppose it's more likely that they'll just keep the price the same and use the case as pure profit though.

So 10$ makes or breaks the cost savings xD I hate when people say that... it's not like they will use some $50 carrying case or $100 one... Either way, if they include one, you will have to pay for it. Rather that "cost savings" go into making a better VR unit.

I'm cool with the cardboard. Less e-waste this way 🙂

KBK
Protege
There are many differently sized pelican cases out there.

A good place to start.

The cardboard box is smaller, so it gets to be a situation of packing more on a skid, and these will probably be air shipped and thus weight and volume are both a number to be watched as a cost.

The cardboard box is probably a trade off on delivery speed. You want a big bulky shipping box, a plastic case, you can have one...but....You'll just have to wait an extra 22-25 days for your kit to arrive, as it will be ocean shipped instead.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

snappahead
Expert Protege
They could send my dk2 in a paper bag for all I care. As long as it works, I'm good. I'll use the DK1 case if it fits. If not, no biggie.
i7 3820 16 gigs of Ram GTX 780ti

Crespo80
Explorer
IMHO it's an excellent compromise between a plastic briefcase and nothing at all :mrgreen:
They saved money from the plastic itself, the molds, the added shipping cost due to the weight and bulkiness, etc. and that probably reduced the cost for us 🙂

bostromnz
Honored Guest
With the foam cutouts it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to 3D print a case. Who wants to design it??
Corsair 760T - RoG Ranger VII - i7 4790K - EVGA GTX 780 ACX - 16Gb Vengeance Pro - DK2

Cgpnz
Honored Guest
I will try to reuse my DK1 case. Maybe I can get the RiftUp! and the DK2 in one case?