New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

What is the first think you will do with DK2?

nickandersonnickanderson Posts: 47
Brain Burst
edited July 2014 in General
What do you think you will dive into first when you get the DK2? I know development is the main goal for most, but I am sure all of us have an idea of the game we will want to test out the new resolution and positional tracking with...

I personally am going into the dog fight module for star citizen.

Bummer we wont be able to play EVE or the new alien isolation out of the box :(. :ugeek:

Comments

• GRiMHOLDGRiMHOLD Posts: 21
    NerveGear
    The first thing im going to do is play whatever random game i have installed on my PC and see if i get motion sickness.
    If i do... I swear i will cry harder than i ever have.
    My original DEV kit spends most of its time in a corner of my room and just looking at the box makes me queasy. :cry:
  • nickandersonnickanderson Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    Yeah, if I get sick like i did with DK1 I will sell it right away, not even playing that game anymore... it was aweful.
  • DarrenMDarrenM Posts: 237
    Hiro Protagonist
    Delete my ~70GB demo folder because apparently none of them will work with DK2 :(

Then I'll dive into twiddling my thumbs until demo's/games release compatible updates.

I'm most looking forward to improved visibility in sim racing titles like Assetto Corsa and iRacing. I've already been playing them full time with DK1 for 6 months but the low res and latency/blur makes it hard work. I tried Assetto Corsa on my monitor a few days ago and I couldn't do it. The track just looked weird/distorted on screen, the sense of speed/motion felt wrong and and I couldn't judge corners properly.

Also looking forward to space sims like Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous. Star Citizen needs a lot of work for VR though, as does Assetto Corsa.

I also want to try HL2 again because I couldn't get through it on DK1 due to motion sickness issues.
  • purifier82purifier82 Posts: 310
    Hiro Protagonist
    DCS Huey, then buy UE4 license and try to learn and develop a virtual gun range :)
    Si vis pacem para bellum
  • FalanFalan Posts: 402
    Brain Burst
    I wouldn't try star citizen DFM mate it's not optimised for rift yet. They certainly won't have positional tracking set up for it. It would probably be a disappointing mess.

Asseto Corsa or euro truck sim 2 would be a much better experience or elite dangerous which has had fantastic support.
  • distydisty Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Fly High.
  • DisdroidDisdroid Posts: 562
    Unpack.
    People tend to believe what they want to be true.
  • uswinuswin Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    DarrenM wrote:
    Delete my ~70GB demo folder because apparently none of them will work with DK2 :(

Oh man, that is too bad, but I suggest not to delete that 70GB+ data yet, who knows maybe someone release a workaround for that, just cross my finger here. :P
  • VyperhateVyperhate Posts: 35
    Oh so much I'm looking forward to trying out. Though Elite: Dangerous is probably one of the first things. Being able to easily look around might mean Crimson Triumph stops ripping me to shreds :roll:
  • WelbyWelby Posts: 1,065 Oculus Start Member
    I'm going to check it out my game for sure. I can t wait to try it with a better resolution and i'm curious to know what kind of stuff other people are going to see in my game with the new DK :D

After that i'll check it out another time the tuscany demo,maybe sounds too much obvius but i think is the perfect demo to istantly watch all the improvements between the DK 1
  • CSartorCSartor Posts: 61
    Il'l load up Assetto Corsa and take a drive around Vallalunga.. I cant wait.
  • 1karl11karl1 Posts: 242
    Hiro Protagonist
    CSartor wrote:
    Il'l load up Assetto Corsa and take a drive around Vallalunga.. I cant wait.
    Same but snoopy's nordschleife .
  • arconarcon Posts: 97
    Hope that every demo ive downloadet so far will work :D !

then Enjoy :>
    Signature_zps6b6399d4.png
    DK2 Info: Order ID: FM-1042XXX | Date: Mar 19, 2014 09:53 AM PDT | Status: Delivered (04.08)
  • EarlGreyEarlGrey Posts: 886
    Nexus 6
    As I didn't order DK2, yet, I'll probably just watch youtube videos of guys trying it out and expressing their awe of it :lol:

When I do get it, eventually, I might be tempted to try out demos that feature realistic human models. The multi-light deck demo is very interesting, not because there is a pretty girl there, but because the human models are so realistic it freaks me out standing right next up to them, looking at the their heads and faces and seeing them breath. Seeing it in DK2 will either ... freak me out even more, or I fear reveal the flaws of the models that are not seen on the more grainy DK1.

Beyond that, I think there will be some good demos out that demonstrate the capabilities of the DK2. I imagine OculusVR will release a demo for DK2 just like they did for DK1.
  • japsanderjapsander Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    the very first thing i will do with my DK2 after i open the package and see it is indeed the rift is put it back down again and clean up the mess i will have made in the front trouser department :oops:
  • SharpfishSharpfish Posts: 1,310
    Neo
    hmmm welll depends on if any specific DK2 demos around at the time.... is this true that the amassed DK1 demos won't work? that sucks!

Failing that I'll be straight into UE4 trying out my prototypes for my games I'm working on - in VR then no doubt being lost in it all night... :D

Oh and I think I'll do some videos of using it for YT, reaction, first thoughts, tests etc....
    EX DK2/VIVE/PSVR | Currently RIFT CV1 & Quest 2 | Future Reverb G2 | VR developer
    RTX 3080 FE / 8700k / Windows 10 Pro
  • usb420usb420 Posts: 291
    Hiro Protagonist
    GRiMHOLD wrote:
    The first thing im going to do is play whatever random game i have installed on my PC and see if i get motion sickness.
    If i do... I swear i will cry harder than i ever have.
    My original DEV kit spends most of its time in a corner of my room and just looking at the box makes me queasy. :cry:

same problem here. You need to wait for games that are made for VR.
  • l3eermel3eerme Posts: 61
    Get a few demos and games working with it. Then invite friends and family over so they can see the improvements Oculus has made since dk1. I love watching people excitement while they explore VR worlds.
  • GhostshipGhostship Posts: 344 Oculus Start Member
    We are hoping to get the Dk2 build of Ghostship Aftermath for end of July or early august :) The PC version is now releasing 4th of July.

Ghostship is made for VR, not a compatible version! So it should just be a case of imlimenting the DK2 libs as the res and everything else should all be ready to go :)

If you have not heard of Ghostship Aftermath then be sure to check it out :) - http://www.ghostshipaftermath.com

The Supporter bundle is still up for grabs until the 14th June :)
    Developer of Ghostship and CDF Starfighter.

• All I want to do is play HL2 again with VR. I don't care if it makes me sick or isn't "made for VR" I just want to do it anyway. I have been dreaming of it for over a year now and it will make me squeal like a little girl.
    DK2: Shipped
    New Build completed
    NOOB and not ashamed :)
  • DemoniC3444DemoniC3444 Posts: 97
    Hiro Protagonist
    Wait the VR demos arent compatible with DK2? Will there be any VR content apart from Couch Knights I can use when I get my DK2?
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Unfortunately, there probably won't be a ton of DK2 compatible content at first. I'll probably just run Tuscany.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • DemoniC3444DemoniC3444 Posts: 97
    Hiro Protagonist
    Unfortunately, there probably won't be a ton of DK2 compatible content at first. I'll probably just run Tuscany.
    Thats cool I will try out Tuscany when I get my DK2, I have one question though is it a time consuming process making VR content compatible with DK2 that was initally made for DK1 will it be a long time before people make these demos compatible??? (I ask because Im not a games developer I am a 2D and 3D concept artist/illustrator Im also a tech geek thats the main reason why I preordered DK2)
  • Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 160

I guess there is a sunny side to getting an August shippment. Demos should be dk2 ready by then with most bugs sorted.
  • Freebirth001Freebirth001 Posts: 73
    Brain Burst
    easy..star citizen!

i will get into my connstelation. sit int he captains chair and only then will i turn on the rift. that will be my first experience on my very own rift.
  • Crespo80Crespo80 Posts: 604
    Art3mis
    I will shoot Tuscany Demo for sure, to make a quick comparison with DK1 and see if I still get sick, then I'll shoot whatever demo will be made compatible, to see if Iget that WOW effect again, then I'll try iRacing or AssettoCorsa, hoping they have added support for DK2 pretty fast, since I'm getting DK2 90% for them :mrgreen:
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,849
    Neo
    Probably Tuscany, Senzo Pesa, and then re-release all my demos with DK2 support. :)
    MikeLen wrote:
    I have one question though is it a time consuming process making VR content compatible with DK2 that was initally made for DK1 will it be a long time before people make these demos compatible???
    For some Unity demos it will be easy -- the dev simply needs to delete the existing OVR integration and replace it with the new one, a couple of drag-and-drops, and maybe change a couple of defaults. For others that have made customizations to the OVR integration or if they are using multiple camera rigs, it might not be so simple.

There's a lot of neat demos that were made a year ago, and their developer has probably forgotten all about them. Going to be interesting to see which ones are updated.
  • vajra3dvajra3d Posts: 134
    The first item on my list will be figuring out a solution for head clipping. emoOVR.png
  • willstewillste Posts: 675
    Brain Burst

Cyber, I assume DK2 will still be able to run old demo's in a DK1 fashion without taking advantage of the better camera tracking. Is this not the case?