New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Notebook for Oculus - Just a quick question

ALKALK Posts: 40
edited June 2014 in General
Hi,

I already have a desktop for gaming, but have minimal experience with gaming notebooks.
I got an opportunity to buy a notebook with i7 4810MQ + Geforce GTX860M is this a a good notebook for use with Oculus Rift?

Thanks

Comments

• uswinuswin Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    Hello all, sorry to bump this thread, I also would like to know if this GPU is good enough to use for DK2/CV1 since Im planning to get one of those laptop gaming with this kind of GPU
    (I know I should compromise about quality when talking about gaming laptop), but is this good enough to just run standard unity rift app or standard rift app on 1080p or perhaps up-scaling from lower res of DK1 ?

thanks a lot
  • agnuagnu Posts: 72
    it's enough for unity, in fact its enough for a lot of games :)
    My 3D android game: Attack of the Teapotcopters
    Google Cardboard mode RELEASED! Screenshot
    Brain Burst
    This is the laptop that I had in mind for now
    http://www.pemmz.com/laptops/by-brands/xenom/xenom-shiva-sv15-x2-cto.html

Display (LCD) : 15.6” 1920 x 1080 Full HD (16:9) LED Backlit Antiglare Matte Type Display
    Processor : 4th Generation Intel Core i5-4200M Processor, 2.5 GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.1GHz), 3MB Smart Cache
    System Memory (RAM) : 8GB DDR3 at 1600MHz
    mSATA SSD : None - OS installed on primary drive
    1st Hard Drive (Primary drive) : 1TB 5,400 RPM SATA 3Gb/s
    2nd Hard Drive (Secondary drive) : NONE - Empty Bay, includes HDD caddy/adapter
    Optical Drive / 3rd Hard Drive : 8X Max. DVD±R/RW Writer/Reader / 4X Max. +DL Super-Multi Drive
    Graphics Card : 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M GDDR5
    Operating System : No OS installed
    Wireless : Integrated 802.11 b/g/n + Bluetooth 3.0 Combo
    Thermal Compound : FREE Arctic Cooling MX-4 Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
    Keyboard : Full size isolated keyboard with numeric pad
    Battery : 8 Cells Lithium-Ion Battery Pack 76.96WH
    Power Adapter : 120W 110V/240V autoswitch AC Adapter

What do you think guys, is this machine is good enough to run DK2 on 1080p (with compromise setting quality) ?
    just want too hear more of your opinion
  • gunairgunair Posts: 72
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hi uswin!

I just bought a very similar laptop as yours in the thread. Just with an Geforce 765M instead of the 860M - but it's very similar in Performance (but 860M is better ;-) ). Comparison here:

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-860M-vs-GeForce-GTX-765M

And I'm very satisfied with the Performance (although I can't say anything about the Dk2 Performance of course.. ;-) )

But because it is my first laptop, I had to learn two things to get that satisfying Performance (and ist maybe helpfull for you ):

1) I had to set up the right GPU for the Demos: The i5 has an built-in GPU. Enough power - but runs on low energy - for standard application. So it was set as default on the laptop. Unfortunately it was not enough power for the demos... But after switching to "use Geforce" as GPU for the Demos it runs very good!

2) The laptop ( I think all work similar, at least with such high Performance GPU built-in) automatically reduces the gpu power when running on Akku instead of using an attached power cable! AFAIK you can't (and shouldn't also) switch this off! Keep that in mind!

Just my two Cents...

Greetings from Germany,

gunair
    LocomotionVR.de - Virtual reality in eMotion

http://www.locomotionVr.de

Organizer of HANNOVER VIRTUAL REALITY MEETUP & Member of COLOGNE VIRTUAL REALITY MEETUP

DK2 Status: OWNER SINCE 04.AUG.14 Ordered: Mar 19, 2014 09:52 AM PDT
    Brain Burst
    gunair wrote:
    Hi uswin!

I just bought a very similar laptop as yours in the thread. Just with an Geforce 765M instead of the 860M - but it's very similar in Performance (but 860M is better ;-) ). Comparison here:

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-860M-vs-GeForce-GTX-765M

And I'm very satisfied with the Performance (although I can't say anything about the Dk2 Performance of course.. ;-) )

But because it is my first laptop, I had to learn two things to get that satisfying Performance (and ist maybe helpfull for you ):

1) I had to set up the right GPU for the Demos: The i5 has an built-in GPU. Enough power - but runs on low energy - for standard application. So it was set as default on the laptop. Unfortunately it was not enough power for the demos... But after switching to "use Geforce" as GPU for the Demos it runs very good!

2) The laptop ( I think all work similar, at least with such high Performance GPU built-in) automatically reduces the gpu power when running on Akku instead of using an attached power cable! AFAIK you can't (and shouldn't also) switch this off! Keep that in mind!

Just my two Cents...

Greetings from Germany,

gunair

Hi gunair, thanks a lot for your information, I'm glad a real dev here just had the same spec similar to above. yes, I thought about it quite a lot regarding to nvidia optimus which sometime screw things up by automatically running application using intel HD gpu instead of the dedicated one.

Let us cross finger here, hopefully DK2 is still working quite good with this gpu. actually at first im aiming gtx880m laptop, but unfortunately it cost me a fortune since Im from Indonesia, my option is quite limited for laptop (but i need laptop right now instead of cpu) thus this is probably the best that i can get with my limited budget (around 1300 $).

by the way, hopefully your hogwart project will be updated man. can't wait to see that on DK2.
    cheers !