cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drums

Conz
Explorer
My first little project in Unity with Rift and Hydra is a test with a drum kit.

Download Version 0.01a (Alpha - Proof of concept)
Windows: http://www.vrchannel.de/rift/DrumsVR_v_0_01a.zip (~21.0MB)

UPDATE 16.5.2013:
Added Keyboard keys for:
- J: bass drum
- H: hi-hat

UPDATE 14.5.2013:
Have enough space in RL around you!

Controls on Hydra:
- Analog Sticks: L: rotation and hight, R: position
- Trigger L: for HiHat
- Trigger R: BassDrum
- Left Button 3 + Right Button 4 will reset the rift. (look stright ahead and press both buttons)

F1 gives the Tuscana HUD. All keys are the same as in the tuscana demo.

optional Controls with pedals (Only MS Sidewinder right now)
- Pedal L: for HiHat
- Pedal R: BassDrum

--------
Original post:

Video: http://vimeo.com/66023452

Model of the Drum Kit is CC-BY 3.0 by cephei on Blend-Swap.

Very hard to play with no resistance. And I can't play drums at all. 😉
And the Hydra seems a little bit to laggy for this, but it's fun to play. 8-)
19 REPLIES 19

XavierMidnight
Honored Guest
If you map all the pedals to regular keyboard buttons, i can use a makeymakey to make any of my hardware pedals work.

Conz
Explorer
ok, will add keys for it in my next version.
Keys have the downside, that they are digital (on/off) with no analog values. The Hi-Hat could have more than two states.
I have planed to use the velocity for the volume of the hit.
My pedals have a range like a joystik from -1.0 ... 1.0. The same with the trigger on the Hydra (0.0 ... 1.0). There I can calculate the velocity depending on the values of the last frame.

For the basic function of pedals the key solution maybe makes sense.

Vaerraent
Honored Guest
Maybe somebody should whip up an Android client and basic server app to register a sharp jerk of the Android device (as registered by the accelerometer) as a keypress over a Wifi network? That way you could just stick your Nexus or whatever in your sock and jam on 🙂

WormSlayer
Adventurer
Just tried this one out but it crashes when I hit the start buttons on my Hydra? 😞

Conz
Explorer
Oh no! NOOOO! 😞

What is your OS?
Do you have problems with other unity apps with Rift and Hydra?

You are the first person who posted after my download link...

Is there anybody out there ... who has run my app with success?

EDIT: Do you use the Razor driver or the Motion Creator 2 by sixense?

zaptruder
Protege
Just tried it out with my Rift and Hydra.

Works fantastically. I don't know how to drum, but that didn't stop me from having a whole shedload of fun with it.

It does take a bit of getting used to... but once it started to heat up, it seemed incredibly natural and intuitive to me.

Again, that might be because I'm not a drummer, but it was a cinch hitting targets out of view as though they were there.

It further iterations of it, it'd be nice to get a volume thing going dependent on how long it's been travelling and the speed of impact. That's what would really set it way beyond a simple midi drum instrument.

It's a great demo and great proof of concept! Fully encourage you to further develop it. You know... you might even be able to invent the world's first virtual reality instrument - that cannot exist except within virtual space!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Amazing!

I am not a Drummer, but i see potential for a lot of familys with parents which dont want to have "real/loud" Drums... 😉

Conz
Explorer
Thank you RoTaToR1979 & zaptruder

"WormSlayer" wrote:
Just tried this one out but it crashes when I hit the start buttons on my Hydra? 😞

Does it really crash? Or is it running in background?
I'm using the Motion Creator 2 software for the Hydra, not the Razor app.
There I have to deactivate the "Default Mouse Pointer". With the "Default Mouse Pointer" profile I have the problem, that the windows start menu will pop up when I press the "Start-Button".
(Same with the onscreen keyboard poping up on (I think) "Button 4" on the right controller.)

To other devs: How do you ensure, that there is no driver profile in conflict with your unity controls?

Conz
Explorer
@XavierMidnight
"XavierMidnight" wrote:
If you map all the pedals to regular keyboard buttons, i can use a makeymakey to make any of my hardware pedals work.

I have added some keys in the version 0.01a for the bass drum and the hi-hat.
H: Hi-Hat
J: Bass Drum

3Jane
Explorer
Ooops, ended up replying in the wrong thread!

Nice job on the drums 🙂