cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did the DK2 specs change since announcement?

Emvy-
Honored Guest
I was wondering if the DK2 got changes/improvements in between announcement and soon to be shipping date?

it has been a couple of months since annoucement so allot could have happend in-between.

maybe cybereality can tell us if this is the case or not? 🙂
18 REPLIES 18

Gerald
Expert Protege
the only reason you'd change spec that late would be if production problems prevent you from staying with your final specs. those are not to expect so the specs will not change. the DK2 is pretty much the same specs as the Crystal Cove which is even older. new developments will make it into the next generation.
check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons

ThreeEyes
Explorer
In an interview at E3, Palmer even said that CV1 was pretty much locked down.

When you are doing large numbers of parts in a production run, you get the best pricing if you go with flexible schedules and long lead times. With the previous and even current emphasis on selling these cheap, they probably went with the longest practical lead times on the plastics, the electronics, etc. But unless you want to pay a fair amount extra for a design change - which then carries even more consequences if it obsoletes various parts already ordered - the entire design is locked in at the time you contract the run. At least that's been what I've seen in the electronics industry.

It's a fair guess the design was final when they started accepting orders on March 19th. They may have even placed the orders before then with a best guess for quantity and adjusted it later if needed. But the design would have probably been finalized before or around March 19 as a best guess.

But it is only a guess. They might surprise us with some included tracking accessory or something that plugs into the USB port since with the acquisition of Carbon Design Group it's now likely OVR is looking well beyond just an HMD. It's impossible to say how likely some USB accessory is without a leak or statement from OVR. Personally, I wouldn't bet on it. But the Rift itself is probably just what is being shown in the photos introducing DK2.
But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock:

Vallie
Protege
"Gerald" wrote:
the DK2 is pretty much the same specs as the Crystal Cove which is even older.

Out of curiosity, do you happen to know if the DK2 is superior , or rather inferior to the Crystal Cove?
Aside from losing those stylish cute little white speckled censors.

ThreeEyes
Explorer
"vallie" wrote:
"Gerald" wrote:
the DK2 is pretty much the same specs as the Crystal Cove which is even older.

Out of curiosity, do you happen to know if the DK2 is superior , or rather inferior to the Crystal Cove?
Aside from losing those stylish cute little white speckled censors.

They aren't "lost". They are still there and so is the camera that monitors them for tracking. They are individually addressable near-infrared LEDs which show up in some videos of people using DK2 if the video camera doesn't have a high enough cutoff filter to block the near-IR.

They are inside the faceplate now instead of directly visible through cutouts. The faceplate is transparent to the near-IR light.

It's just cleaner and a little safer for the surface mount LEDs. Less chance of static shock killing the circuitry, etc.
But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock:

nalex66
MVP
MVP
They may not be "lost", but being invisible, they are no longer stylish or cute.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Vallie
Protege
Excellent~ Though I still miss the polka dots...
Humor aside, on a technical level would you say it's the same experience as the CC, or mostly superior?

ThreeEyes
Explorer
What seems to be the response is basically the same as Crystal Cove with the exception being the software has improved.

ThreeEyes
Explorer
"vallie" wrote:

I suppose if they made a clear plastic faceplate you could get them back as long as it wasn't being used as part of the light shielding. That could be kind of cool, though. The LEDs are on a big flexible polyimide circuit board and look very nice!

Or, you could always just drill holes at all the LED locations if you wanted them bare. But you would lose the static shielding effect of having a solid plastic faceplate over them.

baloniman
Honored Guest
"vallie" wrote:
Humor aside, on a technical level would you say it's the same experience as the CC, or mostly superior?

From what I understood they are the same save a few cosmectic changes. I don't think the hardware hard changed much if at all except that pass through plastic overlay to the LED's. I know they said many improvements have been made to software.